This Mike Leach noose meme is a big deal

382 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CummingDawg22
RyanJordan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mississippi is a deeply scarred state when it comes to race relations and the noose imagery is hurtful to a lot of people. I've seen a lot of African American HS coaches on Twitter talking about it and they're unanimously pissed.

Leach stuck his foot in his mouth, whether he had a racist intent or not (I don't think he did), and he's going to pay for it big time in recruiting.

Kiffin wins the off season.

Mattaadawg2b
Wow. I know the guy is funny and loose lipped but that's just stupid
Matt DeBary
Staff
I've seen those same coaches on Twitter. There are many that are NOT happy. Most of his tweets are great, but that one was bad. Really bad.
Lamar
Humorous and controversial remarks has sort of defined him. He's created his own shtick so to speak, and while I seriously doubt he meant to portray anything racist, Mississippi was one of the worst places he could try and be humorous about an image with a noose.

He certainly dug himself a hole in an area that will be hard for him to recover from. Truth of the matter is that there isn't a place in which it would be accepted and free from criticism.

If the world weren't so distracted by the current health crisis, it would probably be much worse for him as it would permeate the media and he would be skewered on a daily basis and forced to answer countless uncomfortable questions.
12thmandawgfan
The guy is a loose cannon and was bound to do something stupid....funny....no....just plain stupid!
Bright Idea
Where's Craig James when I need him Leach must be wondering.
Gasdawg
Bright Idea said:

Where's Craig James when I need him Leach must be wondering.

#neverforget
Andrew
I can't believe people are making a big deal about it. Actually yeah I can believe it. If I'm not mistaken, the meme had something to do with a wife during isolation sewing..... insinuating she was going to get rid of her husband......ha ha ha. It wasn't his best stuff but to link it to the South and racism is absolutely ridiculous. Of course he wasn't trying to be racist.
ElonDawg44
I understand the history in Mississippi, I see why people would be upset about it. I know my being white keeps me from fully understanding the pain. But this seems like one of those times where intent and context needs to be considered.

If I recall Leach is not from the "Deep South" so he probably doesn't fully understand either or automatically think slavery when he sees a noose. People of every race and origin have been killed by hanging. It was the main form of punishment for a long time around the globe.
RyanJordan
Andrew said:

I can't believe people are making a big deal about it. Actually yeah I can believe it. If I'm not mistaken, the meme had something to do with a wife during isolation sewing..... insinuating she was going to get rid of her husband......ha ha ha. It wasn't his best stuff but to link it to the South and racism is absolutely ridiculous. Of course he wasn't trying to be racist.

I agree with you.

He wasn't being racist, but that noose is a racist symbol to a lot of people and he pissed off a lot of folks. Hopefully any kid considering MSU gives him a chance to explain himself, but he just created a large hurdle that wasn't necessary.
RyanJordan
MSU player who responded to Leach's tweet with "***" has now entered the portal.

RyanJordan
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28994449/mississippi-state-lineman-enters-transfer-portal-mike-leach-tweet%3fplatform=amp
RyanJordan
ElonDawg44 said:

I understand the history in Mississippi, I see why people would be upset about it. I know my being white keeps me from fully understanding the pain. But this seems like one of those times where intent and context needs to be considered.

If I recall Leach is not from the "Deep South" so he probably doesn't fully understand either or automatically think slavery when he sees a noose. People of every race and origin have been killed by hanging. It was the main form of punishment for a long time around the globe.

He spent 17 straight years in Georgia, Kentucky, Oklahoma and Texas.

He should know better.
Trackdawg073
At first I thought the freak out was stupid but I did not think about Mississippi's history. I do not think this tweet would have been an issue at wazzu but he needs to be more sensitive to the issues in Mississippi, which are different than at wazzu
ElonDawg44
Ryan, I stand corrected haha
apmdawg
While it was a stupid attempt at humor by Leach the social outcry and backlash to these sort of things is ridiculous. Does anyone who saw that believe that Leach is a hood wearing, cross burning klansman? I love the fact that a lot of these social justice warriors in DC and other places love to worry about the speck in their brothers eye. For example, I told a joke a several years ago at a party that wasn't blatantly racist but I could see how it could have been considered offensive. A woman there scolded me and called me racist. This same woman belonged to a country club that had no minority members and the only time a minority was in her house or on her property they were there to clean or mow the lawn. (points I pointed out to her after she called me racist). Being stupid is not a crime, if it were we would all have done time at some point in our lives.
Andrew
RyanJordan said:

Andrew said:

I agree with you.

He wasn't being racist, but that noose is a racist symbol to a lot of people and he pissed off a lot of folks. Hopefully any kid considering MSU gives him a chance to explain himself, but he just created a large hurdle that wasn't necessary.

Ryan, I respect your opinion but I disagree about the racist symbol. In MY OPINION it's being used as an excuse to get mad. I think the kid wanted a reason and found one. That's just my opinion.
Gasdawg
His generic "if I offended anyone" type apology didn't help either. He had one chance to minimize the possible recruiting damage.
Andrew
apmdawg said:

While it was a stupid attempt at humor by Leach the social outcry and backlash to these sort of things is ridiculous. Does anyone who saw that believe that Leach is a hood wearing, cross burning klansman? I love the fact that a lot of these social justice warriors in DC and other places love to worry about the speck in their brothers eye. For example, I told a joke a several years ago at a party that wasn't blatantly racist but I could see how it could have been considered offensive. A woman there scolded me and called me racist. This same woman belonged to a country club that had no minority members and the only time a minority was in her house or on her property they were there to clean or mow the lawn. (points I pointed out to her after she called me racist). Being stupid is not a crime, if it were we would all have done time at some point in our lives.

Yep I agree. Player offended or anyone offended had the right to voice their opinion. Give the coach the opportunity to address it and if he don't then judge him. Personally, if it was me, I would have pulled it an apologized but I still think it's an overaction. Just not a hill worth dieing on.
LuvsDawgs
I just erased a long post that involved someone being white-shamed, and for all this racist double standard stuff.
I figured what's the point??
This is one of those topics...like religion & politics...that is just best left alone, because everyone is pretty much dead set in how they believe.
The only thing I will say is that I will never be manipulated into being white-shamed. That is just as baseless and ridiculous as me trying to make someone black feel guilty because they were born black.
Now, being born a Gator fan? THAT deserves shaming!
ahurst344
People are allowed to be offended by whatever they want to be offended by. Period.

You are also allowed to ignore it. Period.

I personally CHOOSE to not be offended by things and I CHOOSE not to use my energy listening to or complaining about what other people CHOOSE to be offended by.

CummingDawg22
apmdawg said:

The same people up in arms about this are the same people who have just totally ignored and/or purposefully forget Ralph Northam, the Governor of Virginia, wore black face and was in his medical school year book.

That guy is still the head guy of a state, that if I recall from school, was pretty big in the whole slavery/confederacy thing.

Outrage culture is all the rage these days. It just isn't consistent. You just pile on when you think it looks good for your personal benefit.

He's from California and has spent the better part of his life as a mentor and coach to largely young black Americans. Mike Leach has never done anything racist we actually know of. Even the context of that tweet is not racist in anyway. Unless you relate nooses only as a tool used by White Americans to kill Balck Americans. If you do that, well boy do I have some news for you.
Klc71
I had a great-great-great grandfather who was hung for stealing horses.

Not here nor there, just always found it interesting.
Bulldawg1
Look, what some people did in Lynching (about 70% of tbe victims were non-white) is disgusting, ugly, horroble, heinous, and unquestionably WRONG.
But, in the US, over 15,000 people were killed by hanging - the vast majority were white. Some were Indian (Lincoln sentenced 39 Indians to die at once in Minnesota - the largest mass execution in US history), 17 people were sentenced ti death by hanging during tbe Salem Witch Trials, and countless people were sentnced to death by hanging in the Wild West (people were hung just for robbing back then). Americans used to throw parties at hanging executiona...sometimes even selling tickets. In 1936 in Kentucky, 20,000 people turned out to watch a man (white) hang for rape. That was the last public execution in the US. Three states still have hangjng as a legal form of execution. Three people in the 90s were executed by hanging (last one in 1996 in Delaware).

Anything can be made as a symbol for anything. However, anyone who thinks Leach is a racist, is just finding an excuse to dodge their own demons and find someone to blame and be angry about. In fact, this type of reaction usually doesn't combat racism - it often feeds it one way or the other.

Seriously, I wish we as a people would do a better job focusing on what people do right and good more often, and focusing more on helping each other rather than villifying one another.

ColonialDawg
That's my state of VA. A noose is not just an old south thing. Is Robin Williams or anyone else a racist for hanging himself? Was it racist when it was the method of execution all over the world back in the 18th and 19th centuries? Give me a break. On the other hand, wearing a KKK hood or blackface is 100% racist, and yet Northam is still governor. Also, hiis Lt Governor has been accused of sexual assault. The fact is if either were a Republican, he would have been run out of office and tarred and feathered by the media.
RyanJordan
CummingDawg22
ColonialDawg said:

That's my state of VA. A noose is not just an old south thing. Is Robin Williams or anyone else a racist for hanging himself? Was it racist when it was the method of execution all over the world back in the 18th and 19th centuries? Give me a break. On the other hand, wearing a KKK hood or blackface is 100% racist, and yet Northam is still governor. Also, hiis Lt Governor has been accused of sexual assault. The fact is if either were a Republican, he would have been run out of office and tarred and feathered by the media.
It just depends on who it is.

Social progressive darling Justin Trudeau has done this as well. It wasn't a big deal though because he apologized after getting in trouble.

https://time.com/5681605/justin-trudeau-blackface-more-photos/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.