Greatest war movie ever made coming up @8pm eastern

6,807 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JvilleDawg1
SoCalTrojanDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"The Longest Day" will be shown on Turner Classic Movies @8pm eastern, 5pm pacific.

Movie is a production of Twentieth Century-Fox, one of two studios that are neighbors to where we live (Century City area of Los Angeles), MGM the other (where I retired from). This movie was made at the same time "Cleopatra" was being filmed with Elizabeth Taylor, which nearly bankrupted the studio (filmed on location in Egypt, Spain, and even Malibu, CA). But, the gross revenues of "The Longest Day" saved the day for Fox.

"The Longest Day" was filmed ENTIRELY on location throughout France, including at Fox's own studio in Boulogne, France.

Although the movie is quite accurate in its portrayal, a few certain details were not. One...the eyeglasses worn by the soldiers landing on the beach were the wrong type that were actually worn by them when they landed at Normandy. President Eisenhower supposedly walked out of the movie after only a short while after it had started because he noticed these "little details" that weren't quite right. He was a perfectionist and rightly so.

Last, stars John Wayne was a strong, conservative Republican, and Robert Ryan was a strong, liberal Democrat. They did not get along in this movie and more than once, Wayne had to put Ryan "in his place". Wayne was never shy about another actor not doing his job in some way and not letting him know about it. On the movie, "True Grit", he got disgusted with star, Robert Duvall, and nearly had him booted off the set. I love Wayne!!

Anyhow, I'm watching this movie tonight for the umpteenth time...I'm sure many of you all have done the same. Although my dad fought in the Pacific Theatre, I honor ALL veterans in all our history from all wars! GOD BLESS THEM ALL!!

Enjoy the movie!

StalkinDawg
I'm partial to Fury myself, and the old movie starring Michael Caine, Zulu.
SoCalTrojanDawg
StalkinDawg said:

I'm partial to Fury myself, and the old movie starring Michael Caine, Zulu.
Please tell me you mean the 1964 Zulu and not the most recent, gosh awful 2013 flim flam...LOL.
StalkinDawg
Yeah the old one from 64. I didn't know there had been a recent remake?
ClarkWGriswold
I like the Band of Brothers series. Watch it every summer while on some camping vaca.
"Real tomato ketchup, Eddie?"
champ1210
Small Soldiers LOL
dawg2727
SoCalTrojanDawg said:

"The Longest Day" will be shown on Turner Classic Movies @8pm eastern, 5pm pacific.

Movie is a production of Twentieth Century-Fox, one of two studios that are neighbors to where we live (Century City area of Los Angeles), MGM the other (where I retired from). This movie was made at the same time "Cleopatra" was being filmed with Elizabeth Taylor, which nearly bankrupted the studio (filmed on location in Egypt, Spain, and even Malibu, CA). But, the gross revenues of "The Longest Day" saved the day for Fox.

"The Longest Day" was filmed ENTIRELY on location throughout France, including at Fox's own studio in Boulogne, France.

Although the movie is quite accurate in its portrayal, a few certain details were not. One...the eyeglasses worn by the soldiers landing on the beach were the wrong type that were actually worn by them when they landed at Normandy. President Eisenhower supposedly walked out of the movie after only a short while after it had started because he noticed these "little details" that weren't quite right. He was a perfectionist and rightly so.

Last, stars John Wayne was a strong, conservative Republican, and Robert Ryan was a strong, liberal Democrat. They did not get along in this movie and more than once, Wayne had to put Ryan "in his place". Wayne was never shy about another actor not doing his job in some way and not letting him know about it. On the movie, "True Grit", he got disgusted with star, Robert Duvall, and nearly had him booted off the set. I love Wayne!!

Anyhow, I'm watching this movie tonight for the umpteenth time...I'm sure many of you all have done the same. Although my dad fought in the Pacific Theatre, I honor ALL veterans in all our history from all wars! GOD BLESS THEM ALL!!

Enjoy the movie!

Have to agree with you. It is my second favorite movie of all time and i have seen it so many times i know the lines better than the actors. The book that inspired the movie is awesome as well.
Gasdawg
Stephen Ambrose did it right. Early eighties my grandfather would tell me stories about being at the Bulge. Some of those plot lines were eerily similar.
ColonialDawg
ClarkWGriswold said:

I like the Band of Brothers series. Watch it every summer while on some camping vaca.

If you liked "Band of Brothers", then you have to watch "The Pacific" (if you haven't already). It's more intense.
ClarkWGriswold
ColonialDawg said:

ClarkWGriswold said:

If you liked "Band of Brothers", then you have to watch "The Pacific" (if you haven't already). It's more intense.
I've not watched that one. Maybe this year's summer vacation.
"Real tomato ketchup, Eddie?"
HunkerDownDawgs
ColonialDawg said:

ClarkWGriswold said:

"Band of Brothers" is one of my all time favorite series, but despite trying, I could not get into "The Pacific". Maybe I will try again at some point.
dawgpostsucks
I've never seen 'The Longest Day'.

Fwiw, my 10 favorite war movies / TV mini-series are 'Band of Brothers', 'Das Boot', 'Hacksaw Ridge', 'Inglourious Basterds', 'Lone Survivor', 'Platoon', 'Saving Private Ryan', 'Schindler's List', 'The Great Escape', and 'The Vietnam War'.
sicemdawgs77
Patton with George C. Scott is another good war film.
BeachyDawg
Now what do you have against Apocalypse Now? I'm
only kidding, but definitely surprised it's not included in your top 10...I might be partial as I was Cav (although not Air Cav)
88Fox
I'm partial to The Big Red One and The Guns of Navarone
acpepper24
I watch "Midway" every year on Memorial Day.
Lamar
All of the movies mentioned thus far are great. One yet to be mentioned that I've always enjoyed is The Green Berets. The scene where John Wayne's helicopter is shot down is a tad "hokey" looking by today's standards but I try and watch it whenever it is on.

Our church sponsored some families from Laos that migrated here who fought alongside US soldiers against the communists and would have been killed had they not escaped. They claim the fight scenes in The Green Berets are close to some battles they were a part of. Those guys told some great, albeit a bit harrowing war stories.

Newnan Dawg
I'm a little partial to Band of Brothers since I was in the 101st Airborne - Vietnam. I really love a good war movie especially staring John Wayne. All the above mentioned movies are great and I have watched most of them at least twice. Platoon, Full Armored Jacket and
Deer Hunter leave me a little emotional.
Buckdawger
I think it is comical that John Wayne never saw the first day of action but starred n
so many war movies like "The Sands of Iwo Jima", the Seabees, The Longest Day, at least
one Navy flick I can't remember, as well as other war movies. Band of Brothers and The Pacific were
far more realistic than The Longest Day. the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan was gruesome but believable..
In one movie I saw John Wayne firing from the hip, daha, daha, with a machine gun, holding the barrel
bare handed. If a machine gun has been fired for 15 seconds, one can use it to light a cigarette.
Apparently, neither he or the director checked their facts.

Having said that, I don't think I've missed a one of his movies and enjoyed them.
dawgman97
how about Tora, Tora, Tora?
Cook Dawg
Lamar said:

All of the movies mentioned thus far are great. One yet to be mentioned that I've always enjoyed is The Green Berets. The scene where John Wayne's helicopter is shot down is a tad "hokey" looking by today's standards but I try and watch it whenever it is on.

Our church sponsored some families from Laos that migrated here who fought alongside US soldiers against the communists and would have been killed had they not escaped. They claim the fight scenes in The Green Berets are close to some battles they were a part of. Those guys told some great, albeit a bit harrowing war stories.

The Green Berets, really???

Actually, I like it too. As a matter of fact, I grew up in Columbus, near Ft. Benning where a lot of the movie was shot. Those jungles sure had a lot of pine trees in them.

My mother came very close letting me try out as an extra. I was in third grade at the time and one of my classmates was in the movie. I think his folks were from the Phillipines. I had a pretty good tan and somewhat squinty eyes, so I could have ended up as a villager. Not the kid who was befriended by Jim Hutton (remember the booby trap scene.... yuck!), but just a background body.

Just a fond memory,

cookdawg
Cook Dawg
Buckdawger said:

I think it is comical that John Wayne never saw the first day of action but starred n
so many war movies like "The Sands of Iwo Jima", the Seabees, The Longest Day, at least
one Navy flick I can't remember, as well as other war movies. Band of Brothers and The Pacific were
far more realistic than The Longest Day. the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan was gruesome but believable..
In one movie I saw John Wayne firing from the hip, daha, daha, with a machine gun, holding the barrel
bare handed. If a machine gun has been fired for 15 seconds, one can use it to light a cigarette.

Having said that, I don't think I've missed a one of his movies and enjoyed them.
In Harms Way? Was that the navy flick?
Lamar
Cook Dawg said:

Lamar said:

Actually, I like it too. As a matter of fact, I grew up in Columbus, near Ft. Benning where a lot of the movie was shot. Those jungles sure had a lot of pine trees in them.

My mother came very close letting me try out as an extra. I was in third grade at the time and one of my classmates was in the movie. I think his folks were from the Phillipines. I had a pretty good tan and somewhat squinty eyes, so I could have ended up as a villager. Not the kid who was befriended by Jim Hutton (remember the booby trap scene.... yuck!), but just a background body.

Just a fond memory,

cookdawg
That wasn't you in the movie calling Hutton Daniel-san?

When I was in elementary school down in Douglas, Ga. our music teacher forced our parents to by all of us kids these plastic flutes and tried to teach us to play the song The Green Berets by playing the vinyl record she had relentlessly.

Pin silver wings on my sons chest,
Make him one of Americas best......

That booby trap scene was brutal. The Viet Cong were brutal based on the stories those Laotian guys would recant and those punji traps/pits were common.
SeaDawg
Cook Dawg said:

Buckdawger said:

Yes sir!

"We got us a gut-busting, mother-loving Navy war!" - Rockwell Torrey

MV5BNjNkMWE4ZWUtMzQxMi00ZmVkLWFkZWUtMDk1YTJkYTgyMWQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDYzNTI2ODc@._V1_.jpg
SeaDawg
SoCalTrojanDawg
Buckdawger said:

John Wayne wasn't able to serve in WWII because he was medically classified as 4-F, rendering him unable to fight. Both his sons, Patrick and Michael, have the paperwork from the military which certifies this as being true. He was devastated, personally, upon hearing of his rejection because he wanted to serve so badly.

dawgpostsucks
In contrast to Wayne, 23 days after winning a "Best Actor" Academy Award for the 1940 movie 'Philadelphia Story', Princeton alumnus Jimmy Stewart enlisted as a private in the U.S. Army and reported for induction and processing at Fort MacArthur, CA on 22 March 1941 (8+ months prior to Pearl Harbor) and was assigned to the U.S. Army Air Corps. During WWII he flew 20 sorties as a bomber pilot. During the Vietnam War he flew a bombing mission as a USAF Reserve brigadier general. In 1968 he donated his military retirement pay to the Falcon Foundation to fund scholarships at the United States Air Force Academy.
Cook Dawg
SoCalTrojanDawg said:

Buckdawger said:

John Wayne wasn't able to serve in WWII because he was medically classified as 4-F, rendering him unable to fight. Both his sons, Patrick and Michael, have the paperwork from the military which certifies this as being true. He was devastated, personally, upon hearing of his rejection because he wanted to serve so badly.

Jimmy Stewart filled in for him. Wayne repaid him in Liberty Valence.

https://www.imdb.com/media/rm1979779328/tt0056217

SoCalTrojanDawg
AirForceDawg said:

In contrast to Wayne, 23 days after winning a "Best Actor" Academy Award for the 1940 movie 'Philadelphia Story', Princeton alumnus Jimmy Stewart enlisted as a private in the U.S. Army and reported for induction and processing at Fort MacArthur, CA on 22 March 1941 (8+ months prior to Pearl Harbor) and was assigned to the U.S. Army Air Corps. During WWII he flew 20 sorties as a bomber pilot. During the Vietnam War he flew a bombing mission as a USAF Reserve brigadier general. In 1968 he donated his military retirement pay to the Falcon Foundation to fund scholarships at the United States Air Force Academy.
Loved Jimmy, too; however, there were MANY actors who left Hollywood to fight in various capacities throughout WWII. Don't forget the women, either, who served as well as the millions left behind to support our troops. General or not, all these are our heroes and deserving of our respect and honor.
SoCalTrojanDawg
Cook Dawg said:

SoCalTrojanDawg said:

Buckdawger said:

LOL.
FYI...be careful a bit with IMDB....it's owned by Amazon and anyone can contribute info to that site. It used to be operated by some group of fans. They've had quite a few things not accurate on their website. The site tries to get most of their info from film companies and archives from MGM, WB, and other stuidos (if they can), which are now stored at USC and UCLA.
Cook Dawg
Lamar said:

Cook Dawg said:

Lamar said:

Just a fond memory,

cookdawg
That wasn't you in the movie calling Hutton Daniel-san?

When I was in elementary school down in Douglas, Ga. our music teacher forced our parents to by all of us kids these plastic flutes and tried to teach us to play the song The Green Berets by playing the vinyl record she had relentlessly.

Pin silver wings on my sons chest,
Make him one of Americas best......

That booby trap scene was brutal. The Viet Cong were brutal based on the stories those Laotian guys would recant and those punji traps/pits were common.
How about Mike Henry (he was a Tarzan around that time), picking up a gook, I mean bad guy and impaling him on a broken tree limb.

Ahhhh what memories.
Buckdawger
Cook Dawg said:

Buckdawger said:

That was the flick, Cook.
Buckdawger
SoCalTrojanDawg said:

Cook Dawg said:

SoCalTrojanDawg said:

Buckdawger said:

"John Wayne wasn't able to serve in WWII because he was medically classified as 4-F, rendering him unable to fight. Both his sons, Patrick and Michael, have the paperwork from the military which certifies this as being true. He was devastated, personally, upon hearing of his rejection because he wanted to serve so badly. "

He was 34 at the time of Pearl Harbor and received a family deferment, classified 3-A. He did not attempt to prevent his reclassification to 1-A(draft eligible) but Republic Studios threatened to sue him if he walked away from his contract. Republic Studios intervened into the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne's further deferment. Wayne did ask director John Ford to include him in the filming of war scenes and he applied to the OSS(precursor to the CIA. A letter was sent to Wayne but his wife received it and never gave it to Wayne, supposedly. The OSS wanted him to serve in the Field Photographic Unit. The above was documented by Wikipedia, which backs up it's facts and checks it's sources._ "Buckdawger"_ I agree with Cook on this: Jimmy Stewart was the real deal. Even Eddie Albert, from Green Acres was a war hero. Le eMarvin was shot in the ass, as a Marine on Iwo Jima Tyrone Power was a fighter pilot in the Pacific. Ted Williams, my favorite baseball player flew fighters in both WWII and Korea.

LOL.
FYI...be careful a bit with IMDB....it's owned by Amazon and anyone can contribute info to that site. It used to be operated by some group of fans. They've had quite a few things not accurate on their website. The site tries to get most of their info from film companies and archives from MGM, WB, and other stuidos (if they can), which are now stored at USC and UCLA.

JudgeLarryDawg
Saw this War Movir on D-Day. Had never heard of this one but darn if it doesn't deserve a spot among the best.
Great actual footage.

jt10mc
12 O'Clock High!
Buckdawger
jt10mc said:

12 O'Clock High!
Excellent movie. Those guys had the highest casualty rate of any branch of service, per mos. It was a treacherous job, going on those bombing runs.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.