This Season

1,988 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Joesock2
dawg212003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's not going to get any better. I would be ok getting rid of Crean now. Try anything.
jt10mc
Why are we so bad at basketball...we have the recruiting base...facilities...and support...
dawg212003
Because we don't care who we hire. And the boosters only seem to care about Football.
REDdawg12
This Wofford game is sad.
Fat Doc 18
Crean is just not a fit! The trajectory is horrible! I'm all for making a change ASAP. Any change will be for the better. Sure, it's tough in season, and no, I don't have a magical name that would make an immediate difference. Brooks needs to do what's necessary .
Nostradawgus
The Crean buy-out drops exponentially in March. Absent a negotiated departure prior, everybody better buckle up for an epically bad season even by UGA hoops standards. The end of this chapter has been written, so no need to fret the threshold question on Crean.
dawg212003
I get the money aspect of it but it basically ruins not only this year but also next year when you bring in a new coach after the season. It puts that coach at a disadvantage. I don't understand why we are so bad. Don't give me this is a football school crap. We haven't been good for a long long time. I'm just over it.
Nostradawgus
Legitimate concerns. Here's what I think. Pay attention to what Brooks has done. I suspect he's been preparing for Crean's departure for some time, and if he needed more evidence, well, the jury is back. Early. He has the advantage of time now to do REAL due diligence and observe those who may be options. Jonas is the fan, knee jerk, emotional option. It's also the lazy option that UGA would normally make. He may prove to be our best option. But I want real due diligence to find the best FIT for UGA. And, we've got to be better than tap dead last in the SEC in basketball expenditures.
Monkdawg
I don't think we fire Crean mid-season. Firing Crean would not save the season, and we only have 1 signed in the recruiting class, so it wouldn't save a class. We wouldn't hire anyone then anyway. Remember when we fired Felton? We promoted an assistant to temporary HC to finish out the season. Whether Crean is fired now or after the season, Brooks has certainly been doing his due diligence in beginning a coaching search informally. The next coach will have a lot to do.
SidViciousDawg
The buyout drops from $7.2 to $3.2 at seasons end. Crean drove us into this ditch, he deserves to stay stuck right there for the next four months. Firing him now gains nothing.
Microwave
Agree no need for haste. The season is not likely to improve under one of the assistants.

More than anything at this point, I'd like some assurance that the new AD considers basketball to be a priority, enough to put us in the middle of the pack in the SEC in terms of program budget.
Monkdawg
Correct, I meant to include the buyout info, and I agree that Crean should be required to coach this team until season's end so that he is forced to deal with the mess he created and gets full credit/blame.
dawg212003
Sad thing is he doesn't need to finish the season to shoulder the blame. I can't stand watching him pace back and forth and not make adjustments.
SidViciousDawg
I feel your pain for sure, I don't like watching that buffoon either. But, 4 months for $4 million, I'll manage somehow.
However we come out paying him as little as possible, I'm for that.

These four years have already cost us (dollar wise) about the same as the previous nine, not to mention the immense damage to the "brand". The fourth year of the previous coach began the unmatched stretch of five straight seasons at or above .500 in the conference. We had memorable Dawgs on that team…. Marcus, Nemi, Charles, Kenny, Juwan & JJ. Yante came to us in year five. Will any of us be rattling off names of "Dawgs" from the Crean era?
dawg212003
Of course. We take down #18 Memphis. This team. They aren't bad when they minimize the tos.
SidViciousDawg
Damn fun tonight. Basketball can be weird.
We showed more effort and fight for sure.
Joesock2
If you know anyone who is interested in buying Georgia Bulldog memorabilia, I have some for sell!! I can send pics via email(taviasturner@yahoo.com) and/or text(706-607-6229)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.