I am going borrow this from another board, hopefully it is ok to post this here. But this from 247 board poster Rampage1. I post this because this guy appears to be a lawyer and what he says is something that I have to admit, I really didn't consider when it comes to Fields being grated his waiver. Bottom line is that in this day and age, it doesn't matter what the real reason for leaving is, if a kid wants to go, he is going to find a way to go and there is little you can do about it, especially if the kid has the ability to afford good representation with a lawyer that specializes in this type stuff.

Wouldn't matter how they feel even if there were black players on the team. It's not a race argument. It's the fact that a good player was kicked off the team due to an incident vaguely related to Fields. The argument goes that Fields would be uncomfortable around the other players because one of their friends got kicked off the team and Fields believes there is a chance (even 1%) that he might not get a fair chance from the coaches, this even though Fields had nothing to do with it whatsoever. He doesn't have to accuse anyone of being racist. He doesn't have to say he felt threatened. He doesn't even have to prove that he came to UGA thinking he wanted to play baseball. These folks all go to school together and the athletes live together. He could say that just being on campus makes him uncomfortable because the baseball player's friends may treat him differently. The world we live in has scared governmental entities into taking this to the extreme. The government does not want to do anything that even remotely has a possibility of making anyone feel uncomfortable. If UGA challenged it, what would they say? "He shouldn't feel uncomfortable" or "He's being too sensitive" ???? How and why would a public institution do that? What do they get out of it other than bad press? Smartest thing to do from PR and risk management perspective is say/do nothing and let it be.