UGA DC Mel Tucker interested in the Maryland HC position

3,191 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Haney
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Darindawg
Well...when you become an elite team, this sorta thing starts happening more frequently. Ol Saban seems to have to replace some coaches every year. So, I guess this should be expected. I hope he sticks around, he's a good un.
cincydawg
Yeah, we really have to expect this now, and wish them success when they move up in the world, and hope Smart can replace them with good talent like we replace players who move up in the world.

The reverse situation is NOT appealing.

I doubt many UNC assistants are in high demand right now. That program has cratered.
Haney
This would be a good move for Mel, he is a bright mind and will clean up that mess at Maryland. He also would go there with low expectations and would have time to build. I hope he gets the job, it is a positive reflection on our program and I feel quite confident Kirby will hire a quality DC to take his place-and whomever becomes our DC will have a stacked group of players ready to play for him next year-and Kirby will always be involved on that side of the ball as well.

My only question is would Mel try to take any of our assistants with him?? I would be curious to know that, at most I would think he might take one or two, or perhaps take a few of our support staffers to actual on field coaching positions. I imagine Schuman would be in position to take the DC spot potentially, I don't see another person on our current staff that could be moved to that spot, all young guys that have only been here for a year or two.
RedDawg
Haney, I gotta disagree with you my man. Maryland would be a HORRIBLE place for Mel to land. And I mean absolutely horrible. Not only is that program an utter train wreck right now, they've NEVER been worth a flip in football with any consistency. They're one of the worst programs in the country when things are going well. It's one of the few places around that's a worse coaching graveyard than South Carolina. He'd have to have a hole in his head to go there.

No, Mel is a winner. Better opportunities will present themselves. Maryland? I mean seriously, Maryland? You gotta be kidding me!
Haney
Why not Red, it is head gig at a Big 10 school, and that area up there has some talent to recruit. It is a bad job only because they have not hired good coaches. Mel could change that, and perhaps Mel is just ready to get paid like a head coach and have that responsibility. I think it would be a very good fit since Mel is a Big 10 guy himself, and I think the expectations are very low there-and I also think the Big 10 is a conference where if he could recruit well quickly, he could get them back to being very competitive in a short time.
RedDawg
Maryland has had four 10-win seasons in the last 60 years. Four. That's the same as South Carolina. They've had some good coaches too - Edsall, Friedgen, Ross, Claiborne - all of whom had either prior head coaching experience or NFL experience or both. That place is a career killer. He'd be much better off going somewhere like a MAC school.
Haney
You could be right but the allure of a head coaching job in the Big10 is pretty strong. I think Mel could do a good job there and again, expectations there are low so he would have a good 4-5 years for sure. It is a hard decision to take a job or not take it. I am sure Mel could be up for other jobs too, it is just a matter of what jobs come open and where he feels is best to make the move. The UT situation to me would be tough-high expectations, SEC east against your former boss, tough to recruit as not many in state players etc. Maryland has a lot of areas up there he could hit, especially the Philly area and just over Penn, also could reach over to Ohio, Va has some talent in that state and his home state also produces some elite talent as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.