RB problems...is it REALLY a cause for concern?

4,005 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dawg2727
Darindawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok, we've not exactly looked like last year with Michel and Chubb, but we're playing a whole gang of RBs and we've not really been tested yet...YET.

The rumor mill says that Swift is injured and they're trying to keep quite about it. Holyfield looks fine to me, but Herrien looks great on one play and then clueless on the next. He's tough and got great speed, but he just seems to lack the field vision or something. Probably just a result of not getting a lot of snaps.

Some are saying that right now we just have a mediocre bunch that's running behind an OL that could make my wife look like a decent RB...so the STAR power isn't really there, it's just an illusion.

Is all of this just our 'inner-Munson' , as Reddawg puts it, coming out in everyone or is this really cause for concern?

I woke up worried about Mizzou coming up, but truthly, our D is playing great and their D gave up 500+ yards to a winless Purdue team. This looks like the sorta game that even a mediocre group of RBs should be able to run on and Fromm is still Fromm...though he seems to have had a couple of eyebrow-raising moments as of late himself...which is making me real nervous, considering how bad the media really WANTS there to be a QB controversy in Athens. But that's another topic for another thread.

Sure, we look great, but who really know's just how good SC is? So it's hard to say if we really are THAT good or if we've just played....nobody.

My prediction is we start seeing a lot more Cook, who looks super. And I wouldn't be surprised if Fields starts doing a lot more running as well. Robertson hasn't been anything but a RB so far and they'll get him on the field SOMEHOW to utilize that blinding speed.
So is all of this worry for nothing, or is there really cause for concern?

Thoughts?
Haney
I do think Swift is nursing some sort of injury-why did he even start the game if he had something going on before the game, I think he tweaked it or felt something and they immediately pulled him. I believe they plan to have him ready for this game because that will be our gameplan this week-a lot of running. It wears down the Mizzou defense and also keeps their offense off the field. Holyfield, Herrien and Cook all look fine to me, I am not concerned about the RB position until someone is out, and even then we still have 3 to rotate.

I am more concerned this week with covering the pass. I thought MTSU would be more of a throwing team and test us, and they did throw the ball but everything was short. We did play SCarolina who threw the ball a good bit, but this will be a big test to see how the D plays against maybe the best offense-certainly best QB I think we see all season. Locke to me is better than Stidham.
Darindawg
Hey Haney ,you heard anything on Andrew Thomas? I'd feel a lot better knowing he was going to be on the field this Saturday to keep the running game humming. Not that Mays has been bad, just that Thomas probably our best guy out there.
The Factor
I read somewhere that Swift is suffering from a groin strain... Maybe he strained his inner thigh muscles and needs to rest them... Trying to be positive here...
Dawgs1971
Quick rushing comparison for Georgia through three games compared to the first three contests of last year.

2018 - 120 carries, 816 yards, 6.8 per rush.
2017 - 141 carries, 690 yards, 4.89 per rush.

*note this also includes jet sweeps by wide receivers.
Once a DAWG, Always a DAWG. How Sweet it is!!!
Haney
Darin-

I don't know for sure about Thomas but let's just say I will be surprised if he doesn't get on the bus for that trip. As for Swift, yes, there has been a lot of talk about a groin injury suffered during camp potentially and he still is not 100%. I believe he will also go this week as this is a big conference game. It is a LONG grind of a season, if you are to sit kids, you do so against teams like MTSU, we are now locked into conference play until UMASS.
cincydawg
ND last year probably had a tougher D than USCe this year.

I always thought Herrien was a very good RB, and Holyfield is obviously showing a lot of toughness that is great to throw at the other team. Swift is the kind of runner than can break out against great Ds.

I never thought RB would be a concern, but maybe it starts to look that way? I don't think so.

RedDawg
I have no insight whatever regarding if Swift is injured or not, but I will say if he is, it is not serious and he'll be 100% whenever he'll be needed. I don't think we'll need him that much vs Mizzou. We could trot me out there at RB and still blow out that bunch over there.

The more film I watch of us, the better I feel about this season. We are going to continue to improve, and we look at least as good as we did at this point last year if not better. And relax about SC. They have a pretty good team. Watch their film. They're not elite, but they're pretty good. If they had played Marshall, they'd have ended up with 9 or 10 wins this year. This is college football. No one scores a TD on every play. But when it came to crunch time, we beat the hell out of them. We sucked every ounce of life out of not only their team and their whole stadium, but the entire city of Columbia. That's what elite teams do. We're gonna do the same thing in COLAMO. And they're going to thank us for it. This thing is rolling.
HBTD!
Man, we're fine at RB.

Cook will be a stud for yrs to come and obviously with what's in front of him, we're fine. ANd our OL is nuts. Heck I'd say our 2nd string OL is better than many teams first string.

To my mind, we have no lack of depth anywhere on the O barring some catastrophic injuries, like at QB.

BTW, this is AtlSkin. What up my peeps!

And btw, let me just say this, we will go undefeated in the reg season.Our schedule is, well.light. Playing bama will be interesting, obviously and not counting on big things if we get into the playoffs although wont be surprised but come next season...

For those of you who know me I've never made this prediction before but we'll win the NC in '19. We will be so disgustingly talented I dont much care what anyone else has and thats bama included. Just sayin'.
StalkinDawg
Good to see you around here Skin!! Look, you need to pony up and join the Porch. Lots on great insight into the program. Come on over old friend.
I'm too ugly or something
dawgpostsucks
HBTD! said:

BTW, this is AtlSkin. What up my peeps!
Welcome back HBTD! (Atlskin). We're glad you're back home on the 'Dawg Post'.
dawg2727
Losing Zamir really hurt but we should be good. More of a rb by committee.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.