Rank our Position Groups best to worst

3,460 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RedDawg
RedDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How do our position groups stack up compared to each other? Here's my take:

OL - this is a slam dunk, no-brainer. We have nine projected NFL draft picks on campus right now (A.Thomas, I.Wilson, S.Kindley, C.Mays, B.Cleveland, T.Hill, J.Salyer, W.McClendon, C.Webb). Nine. And that's not counting backups like Shaffer, Hayes, Condon, or Ericson (some of whom would have started under the previous regime), or guys coming in the fall (Truss, anyone else?). To put that in perspective, in 15 seasons at UGA, Mark Richt had eight offensive linemen drafted by the NFL. Eight. Ka-Boom.
DB - I could be talked into flipping LB with DB for 2nd & 3rd, but both units are stacked. We're losing Baker, but we're bringing back a ton in LeCounte, Reed, (our top 2 tacklers from last year) Campbell, McGee, Stokes, and a lot of talented backups. We're gonna be talented, deep, and extremely well-coached here. One of the better units in the country.
LB - Ditto here. We're losing D.Walker & Taylor, but we're bringing back Crowder, Rice, Grant, and a whole slew of guys looking to break out: Beal, Anderson, Cox, Tindall, Q.Walker, and the top recruits Smith and Johnson. This will be a fun group to watch and one of the better units nationally as well. Just crazy talent here.
QB - Fromm is one of the best in the business, and one of the better QB's we've ever had. Likely an early 1st rounder. Depth is unproven but promising.
RB - Swift is one of the better RBs nationally, and it's a testament to our team's strength that this position group is this far down the list with a guy like Swift. But the realty is we don't have the *proven* depth we've had in years past. Tons of potential though with Herrien & Cook, and if Zamir is close to 100%, or McIntosh shows out, look out.
WR - We lost a ton with Mecole, Godwin & Riley, there's just no sugar coating it. Holloman started to emerge late last season, and we'll need him to continue that trajectory this year. We're going to need someone to emerge along side him though, and we're lucky we have some options with Robinson, Simmons, Blount, Jackson, Bush & Landers. But we're probably going to need Blaylock or Pickens to step up in a big way here.
DL - This position is a real head-scratcher. It's the only spot where Kirby hasn't recruited gang-busters (he's recruited good, just not great). We've got some good pieces with Davis, Rochester, Clark, Wyatt, Herring, etc, we just don't have that jaw-dropping 1st round type guy like we do everywhere else. But despite this likely being our "worst" position group, they're still pretty good (kinda like the old saying about pizza: "when it's bad, it's still pretty good"), and you gotta feel good about the team if every other group looks better.

Anyway, just to get some discussion going, what do you guys think?

Dawgeatdog
1. Ol 2. Rb 3. Qb 4. Db 5. Lb 6. Wr/te 7. Dl
RedDawg
Dawgeatdog said:

1. Ol 2. Rb 3. Qb 4. Db 5. Lb 6. Wr/te 7. Dl
No question Swift and Fromm are as good as anyone in the country at their positions. But the reason I cannot rank QB & RB above LB & DB is just sheer numbers and depth.

Behind Fromm, we don't have anyone who has ever taken a snap in a D1 game. And behind Swift, Herrien and Cook have shown promise in reserve, but haven't shown they can be "the guy" if needed, and we still can't say exactly if Zamir is back to form.

At LB and DB, on the other hand, we just have so many guys who have proven it on the field. Plus we've got more guys waiting in the wings who would be no surprise if they supplant the starters. Rice, Crowder, Grant and Cox have all started, but any or all of them could lose their spot to guys like Anderson, Tindall, Ojulari, Beal, or Walker who have all showed flashes in game time, or to newcomers like Smith, Johnson, Dean, Davis, or Marshall. Ditto DB where Reed, LeCounte, Campbell, Stokes, McGee, Webb, Reese, and Poole all have starting experience, but will be pushed by guys like Wilson, Speed, Smith and Brini, or newcomers such as Daniel, Cine, or Stevenson. Just an embarrassment of riches at DB & LB.
Dawgeatdog
In Fromm and swift you have two legit heisman candidates. I believe in the depth too though. With Bennetts previous year in the system and then a year starting in juco, I believe he is prepared to win if needed . I'm not sure where Mathis will be with his health but there is huge upside. I expect white to be close to the top prospect he was. Herrien always produces. Cook would thrive with more touches. The defense is certainly stacked too. Outside of reed though I wouldn't say many are proven. I think the lbs have the highest ceiling of any group. I'm not sure who will emerge but there are so many guys with star potential. Overall the team is at a great place top to bottom
RedDawg
Dawgeatdog said:

Outside of reed though I wouldn't say many are proven.
Well, LeCounte was our leading tackler last year, and was 2nd in forced fumbles. He and Campbell led the team in fumble recoveries. Stokes was 2nd on the team in passes defensed. We had a lot of youth in the secondary last year and guys like Campbell, Stokes, Reese, Speed, Smith, Brini, etc will benefit a ton from another year of experience. Plus we got guys like Reed & McGhee who have been through the wars. They're gonna be a salty bunch.

But yeah, the team is in a great place top to bottom.
Dawgeatdog
I should have included lecounte for sure. The rest of the guys are plenty talented too but still with a little more to prove this year.
RedDawg
Dawgeatdog said:

I should have included lecounte for sure. The rest of the guys are plenty talented too but still with a little more to prove this year.
Fair enough. Can't wait to get it going!

Edited to add:
Maybe Stokes has taken your sentiment to heart this offseason:
https://instagr.am/p/B0oJOzmFfSr
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.