USA Basketball Recruits

3,165 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tyree02
mmixon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was a good weekend last week for Georgia 16 and under Players. The final roster will be cut to 12 players, at the moment the list is down to 18 which consists of three Georgia Players. They are Raven Johnson(Westlake), Sania Feagin(Forest Park) and Jillian Hollinshead(Holy Innocents). That Roster was cut from 42 which also included Kayla McPherson(Madison County) and Sydney Bowles(Woodward Academy). There were 2 others who tried out for the Team who didn't make it past the first cut and they were De'mauri Flournoy(Carrollton) and Bridget Utberg(Woodstock). Heard everyday how well Kayla McPherson was playing, but for whatever reason she didn't make the cut at 18. Raven Johnson name was coming up as well, she had the most experience of any player including the 3X3. I heard that Raven didn't get an invitation to tryout for the Team which is probably false. I think what happened was they rewarded Rickea Jackson from last year with a spot on the 3X3 Team because she was probably number 13 on last year 16 and under and they added Hailey Van Lith as a reward for how well she played in the 3X3 competition. That's understandable, because I believe they called Raven personally to tell her what was going on and to just come on to Colorado with her High School Coach(Hilda Hankerson) and tryout for the 16 and under Team. Raven, Kayla McPherson, Feagin Hollinshead and Flournoy are in the 2021 class and Bowles and Utberg are in the 2022 class. Raven, Kayla and Sania Feagin I know UGA is very interested in, but I am not sure is there a lot of interest for Hollinshead and Flournoy. In 2022 I like Sydney Bowles, I hope UGA can get her to visit this year. It would be nice if she camps at UGA. She has good size, handles really well and she is a very good three point shooter with excellent range. Sydney is between 5'11" and 6'1" who could play the 2 guard or wing. Bridget Utberg is point guard who camped at UGA 2 years ago with Raven, Madison Hayes, Javyn Nicholson and Brianna Turnage. I believe that there is interest in both players. It is a good group and hopefully we can land some of them.
Tyree02
Mmixon,

It was definitely true from many that I spoke to about Raven Johnson, she did not have an invite for the U16 team. A couple of parents inboxed me that were out in Colorado with their kids and who were amongst the 42, but failed to make the cut of 18. De'mauri Flournoy camped at UGA a couple of years ago as well and made a lot of noise during that camp with her tenacious defense. I had to clear up Jillian Hollingshed, there is high interest from the staff and Hollingshed. She does have an offer and She is high on the list of prospects that Georgia wants in that 2021. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I had been telling everybody about how deep and talented the 2021, 2022 and 2023 class was in this state. Another name that wasn't mentioned is Janiah Barker. She is from Florida but the job that Chelsea Newton has done building rapport with can't go in-noticed. Janiah is a 6'3 player that can literally play all five positions. Her skill level reminds of a Candace Parker type player. Sania Feagin is another one that Newton has done a phenomenal job with pertaining to building a great relationship with. Kayla McPherson was snubbed and should have made the cut. There should be four kids from our state on that team. If anyone follows me on Twitter, nothing but great tweets came from what the kid was able to do going head to head with a talented kid like Olivia Miles from out of Jersey. Kayla McPherson did nothing but held her own against who many deem as one of the top 3 overall players within the country for 2021. The staff has also built a very good relationship with Raven Johnson as well. If I am Joni, I would go after both Johnson and McPherson. Both kids have a great ability to score the ball and they play defense just as well which allows them both to be very effective at the two guard spot.
mac25
Great info from both of you. I hope this is a better year for Joni and the Lady Dawgs. I also hope that the AD is patient with her as he was with baseball because it appears that we are building some relationships that we prosper for UGA. If nothing else, we can't lose Chelsea no matter what the outcome is.
Tyree02
Chelsea is money on the recruiting trail. Yes we have had some misses but UGA hasn't had the success we are currently having on the recruiting trail without her. She was the recruiting force behind Rutgers success during her tenure there and when Joni needed to snag a good recruiter, EVERYONE threw Chelsea's name out there. We just have to start producing on the floor. We had a setback last season and hopefully we can get back on the right track. There are loads of future talent that we are on that could catapult this program to elite status if we can make things count on the court!
mac25
Thanks Tyree. Team has talent but are they committed to being a better team. That has to start in off season conditioning. If that happens, in my opinion, this team could be better than last years team. We get back players from injuries, a talented incoming class, plus a potential athletic transfer.
Tyree02
None of the kids from Georgia made the final roster. Ain't no way in the world!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.