COVID question for the board

10,778 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ColonialDawg
Gasdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
apmdawg said:

Been gone all day. Thanks for info Gasdawg. Prayers to you and your family AFD. When this thing finally subsides, and it will, the one thing I want the scientists to figure out is how 2 relatively same age and same health profile people can have 2 drastically different outcomes. As gasdawg pointed out, it possibly could be time of exposure and the viral load/shedding of the person that one catches it from.
On a side note and not trying to raise the conspiracy flag but is anyone catching the flu this year? I haven't heard of one person with the seasonal flu.

Yes, but thankfully it's been very mild so far. And I'm just guessing, but the reason for the lessened severity of it may be in part from the restrictions, masks, and distancing.
Dirteater Dawg
DawgInTheSandhills said:

RyanJordan said:

RyanJordan said:

I tested positive on Friday morning.

Haven't had anything other than mild congestion, mild sore throat and fatigue. I'd almost believe it was a false positive except for the fact that I can't taste or smell a thing.

I feel very fortunate so far.

Taking Mucinex, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Echinacea every day. Making sure I get up and move around every hour or so.

Staying in motion is great therapy for the mind and body

DawgFreak
My wife and I tested positive back in November. My youngest child brought it home from school after one of his classmates tested positive and was showing symptoms. A couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, we went to get tested and they all came back negative except for my youngest. He was asymptomatic and didn't show any signs at all. On Thanksgiving, I started to lose my sense of smell and taste. The following day, I completely lost it and dealt with some chest pain when taking deep breaths and body aches. I got re-tested that weekend and tested positive.

My wife tested positive a couple of days later and she was dealing with fatigue, vomiting, body aches, lost of taste/smell and a mild fever. We did a bunch of home remedy teas, vitamin C, zinc and elderberry to combat it. My oldest child didn't show any signs at all, either.

I had a scare right after New Year day when my wife got up after taking a nap and started vomiting and dealing with diarrhea and talked about discomfort in her midsection. She took some Pepto-Bismol and went back to bed. The next morning she complained about the same discomfort in her midsection. She felt it was getting worse. So I took her to the ER. The ER was filled with COVID patients. They would not let anyone, including family members, in unless you are a potential patient. So my wife had to wait a good 7-8 hours before they even saw her. They ran some tests and found she had a blood infection and didn't know where it was coming from. They were talking about doing emergency surgery by removing her appendix if it was infected and inflamed. I was freaking and stressing out at that point. If you are not certain, don't start playing a guessing game when it comes to surgery. Thank God my wife is in the medical field and could talk their language. Appendix turned out to be fine. Next up was the gall bladder and that turned out to be fine too. They think it may have been an ulcer of some sorts. They put her up in a room and had her on an IV, antibiotics, and no solid foods for 4 days before she was sent home. Right now she is on prescription meds and supposed to have a follow up next month. She is doing a whole lot better and seems to be back to normal. Thank God!

I hear stories after you have gone through COVID, you may end up with other issues later on down the road. I pray that is not the case.
drgrouper
In Tallahassee, get my second Moderna shot Feb 9th. I had a sore shoulder for two days from the first shot. I initially had concerns about vaccine safety, but I have had health issues that should have killed me and determined COVID would probably kill me if I didn't get vaccinated and ended up infected. Wife and I have taken extreme measures to avoid exposure from day 1 to this point. That level of self quarantine has undeniably had health implications both physically and mentally, not only for us but others who faced similar risks. If we get to the middle of February our vaccines should kick in fully allowing more freedom. Just remember, COVID is not going away. Without vaccination, you are almost certainly going to get it eventually if you've not already had it. I see multiple doctors and they are all sharing this same info. If I was 30-40 years younger I'm sure I would probably feel differently. I was bulletproof once but now I'm wounded. Be smart and safe. The world can be a dangerous place.
Bulldawg1
That is scary! Hang in there - your wife is lucky to have you help fight with her and take care of the kids. Prayers for yall
ssidedawg
Do you normally hear about people getting the flu?

Unless it's my immediate family, I don't.
ssidedawg
I still have a mark on my arm. Not like a polio vaccine but it's been 3 weeks and it's a noticeable dot.
Bulldawg1
I do, but it's usually related to kids, their friends, neighbors, co-workers, family....when one has 4 kids, one's flu-dar probably goes up, ha.
jt10mc
My brother has it for the 2nd time and he is a little run down but otherwise fine.

He is a Detective and out around the public all the time.

My wife's aunt had it the week preceding Christmas. She took EVERY precaution and is a retired nurse. She was put in the hospital and was losing weight fast. She then got plasma treatment and within 3 days had recovered. She was allowed to come home on Christmas day. She is fine now.
jt10mc
Praying for you.
Gasdawg
ssidedawg said:

I still have a mark on my arm. Not like a polio vaccine but it's been 3 weeks and it's a noticeable dot.

Haven't noticed that on my arm. Get #2 this Thursday. Been hearing firsthand that the second is giving people some fevers and aches. Nothing awful though. Friday I'll be at ATL for my interview with Customs for my global entry pass. Probably didn't plan this out too well.
Gasdawg
And here for your brother
ssidedawg
True. And most of them have spent a lot of time at home not at school hacking on each other.
sicemdawgs77
Prayers for your wife. We can see all areas of the spectrum (some have no symptoms, others in between, and some sadly pass away). Hopefully this vaccine is truly safe and effective.
ssidedawg
Lol, yeah going to that interview sweating won't look good.
StalkinDawg
jt10mc said:

My brother has it for the 2nd time and he is a little run down but otherwise fine.

He is a Detective and out around the public all the time.

My wife's aunt had it the week preceding Christmas. She took EVERY precaution and is a retired nurse. She was put in the hospital and was losing weight fast. She then got plasma treatment and within 3 days had recovered. She was allowed to come home on Christmas day. She is fine now.
You can get it twice?
I'm too ugly or something
Gasdawg
Absolutely. Seems like a 4-6 month window of immunity.
StalkinDawg
Did not know that. That's some BS!
StalkinDawg
Get better Champ!
Bulldawg1
Ours are all in school full time, and one in sports. However, hearing rumors of going virtual for a period of time. On Friday we found out that this Tuesday - Friday that 3 of the kids will have virtual classses for the 1st time this school year, but that could get extended. There are 0 cases at their schools currently, but its precautionary.

Who knows.
drgrouper
Gasdawg said:

ssidedawg said:

Haven't noticed that on my arm. Get #2 this Thursday. Been hearing firsthand that the second is giving people some fevers and aches. Nothing awful though. Friday I'll be at ATL for my interview with Customs for my global entry pass. Probably didn't plan this out too well.
I haven't noticed any physical marks either. Were those 2nd shot reactions to Moderna or Pfizer?
Gasdawg
I've heard more with Pfizer. Nothing conclusive, just anecdotal.
ColonialDawg
Years of studies have shown NPI's do nothing to halt or slow influenza (just as they haven't worked against SARS2, not surprisingly):

http://www.upmc-biosecurity.org/website/resources/publications/2006/2006-09-15-diseasemitigationcontrolpandemicflu.html

The most likely explanation:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(20)30114-2/fulltext
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(20)30114-2/fulltext

"These findings show that one respiratory virus can block infection with another through stimulation of antiviral defences in the airway mucosa, supporting the idea that interference from rhinovirus disrupted the 2009 IAV pandemic in Europe. These results indicate that viral interference can potentially affect the course of an epidemic, and this possibility should be considered when designing interventions for seasonal influenza epidemics and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic."
ColonialDawg
StalkinDawg said:

Did not know that. That's some BS!

Immunity is never 100% for every individual. Some people just have better immunity. But the chances of getting a second symptomatic infection is very small. It's tge exception not the rule.

In this paper following over 12,000 Healthcare workers in the UK, only a small fraction were infected a second time and all of them were asymptomatic:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034545

So natural infection has 100% protection if you want to make such a claim (which no reasonable person would). Natural infection is almost always going to impart more durable lasting immunity than a vaccine.

The good news is if you had a mild or asymptomatic infection you also have immunity:

https://immunology.sciencemag.org/content/5/54/eabf3698

Duration of immunity? With natural infection it's at least 6 months (SARS2 has only been around for a year, so we can't possibly say otherwise). However, in people infected with SARS (90% similar to SARS2) in 2003, T-cells were still present 17 years later.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2550-z

So, in all likelihood those infected will have immunity for several years. What about those vaccinated? Noone knows as no vaccine was ever developed for SARS or MERS but if the vaccine stimulates both humoral (Ab) and cellular immunity then that is a good thing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.