COVID question for the board

10,988 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ColonialDawg
ssidedawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I havent had COVID.... as far as we know. I give blood every 8 weeks and they test for antibodies automatically. Always negative...so far. We both got the vaccine, she just got #2 and mine is in a week.

I know I have been blasted on this site but people just dont know who will be AOK, mild symptoms, horrible symptoms, hospitalized or die. The obvious risk factors make it more likely for a terrible outcome but we all know folks who had ZERO risk factors. People with ZERO risk factors dont die from the "flu" by the thousands.

The long term effects are still unknown and we all may be susceptible every year or so depending on the vaccine and antibody data. Getting it twice is a possibility so far. One would assume 3+ is on the table. Vaccines should reduce this...we hope.
Shelt320
Sorry AFD for your loss. My mom who is 94 living in memory care did test positive around Thanksgiving. Did not show any symptoms. I have not seen her since May because of all the closures and quarantines from residents and staff catching COVID.
I was scheduled to see her this Tuesday for the first time. Received a call yesterday that three residents and one staff has tested positive. Everyone quarantined for 10 days. I pray I will see my mom before she passes. It's on my mind most of the time. Living 6 hours away also make it tuff . I'm 70 and my wife 65 we're very careful because we have had several close friends pass with this virus.
Again, sorry for your loss.
Gasdawg
I feel for you, Shelt. I hope you get to see your mother soon.
DawgInTheSandhills
I don't get sick much. Maybe once every three years I'll get a bug. I've not had the flu vaccine in 15-17 years.

In my field (LEO detective)we don't have the luxury of not being close in and talking to people regularly.

We've changed unnecessary face to face to incorporate recorded phone calls email statements ect.... but for the 15 yo runaway you can't get the urgency of the need for information across l, without face to face interactions.

You can't empathize or show care with victims or read people without face to face interactions.

All that said back in February (pre covid) my whole office had a bad bug. It put me down for a complete day. We all had the same symptoms; couldn't get warm, sweats, diarrhea. We all got tested and the results ranged between one strain of flu to however many were prevalent then and me - bad cold no flu.

Since then me and two off my officemates and wives tested positive; none of the kids did.....

Office mates sick over the summer
#1 loss of taste and smell only "nothing to it"
#2 mild symptoms a little worse than # 1

Me and wife; New Year's Eve and New Year's Day - 2021 started off as good as 2020 ended LOL

Me 1-2; very mild head and chest congestion the worse issue I had was the extra tired feeling. Before I realized I had an issue I conducted my normal AM routine of cardio, circuit training lifting and more cardio; my legs were inexplicably burned during my first cardio session which is a low to mild to intense workout; I havent tapped into reserves on that workout in a while. I was deep in them by the time I hit the mild stage. I noticed an overall tiredness for seemingly no reason and realized I needed to make sure I ate no matter what. I treated it like the flu "feed the flu" and told my wife the same thing.

Wife. 3-4; I think she exasperated the issue because she didn't listen (shocker) to me and was trying these home remedies that certainly help with tryout standard sicknesses but folks this think is engineered. Standard isn't and didn't work. She was in broth; I was making sure I ate and consumed water by the quart. She was panicking to the point where I took her to the hospital once (everything was fine) and had our EMS run vitals and O2 check on her ("very strong and normal vitals")

My urine never got clear so I knew my body was still fighting something.

I got sick New Year's Eve positive tested on 7 Jan.

I never miss a dawg game; I was 1hr 21 mins late getting up for the Peach; I was just tired.

All in all I didn't feel it very much; my wife did. I didn't have a temperature until the day I tested positive; wife had a 99.3

This thing seems to attack you where you are vulnerable. I don't think we really know how truly bad it is.

21 B2B 22
HBTFD
Shelt320
Thanks.
RyanJordan
I tested positive on Friday morning.

Haven't had anything other than mild congestion, mild sore throat and fatigue. I'd almost believe it was a false positive except for the fact that I can't taste or smell a thing.

I feel very fortunate so far.
RyanJordan
RyanJordan said:

Haven't had anything other than mild congestion, mild sore throat and fatigue. I'd almost believe it was a false positive except for the fact that I can't taste or smell a thing.

Taking Mucinex, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Echinacea every day. Making sure I get up and move around every hour or so.
Gasdawg
Add some zinc. Kiwis are a good natural source.

Also, seems that false positives occur much more rarely than false negatives according to research.
RyanJordan
Gasdawg said:

Add some zinc. Kiwis are a good natural source.

Also, seems that false positives occur much more rarely than false negatives according to research.

Will do it! Thanks
Dean Legge
Staff
We are all sorry for your loss.

Let me know if you need anything.
Bulldawg1
Very sorry to hear AFD, prayers for you and your family. This virus sucks.
Bulldawg1
I am sorry Shelt, that is very hard. My mom opted to brave memory care with my dad at home - bc we were concerned we wouldn't get to see him, but he is only 1 year older than you. It's gut wrenching when you don't get to see those you love and that are dear to you, and I couldn't imagine the anticipation and excitement and joy and hope of seeing your mom, only to ve delayed again. Prayers for you and your family.
Bulldawg1
Zinc helped me and my wife out a lot too - just adding my 2 cents to Gasdawg on that. Also ate a lot of oranges - something about Vitamin C from an Orange did more than the Vitamin C vitamins I had - but maybe thats just me. I did a good bit of coconut water too - not scientific on my end, but it kept energy level up and kept me hydrated - I craved it for some reason when I had it.
Gasdawg
Correct. Your body absorbs and utilizes the vitamin C from oranges more thoroughly than from supplements. You also get the added hydration and fiber from an orange.
Zoesdawg69
AirForceDawg said:

On Tuesday evening my maternal grandmother tested positive for COVID-19. Yesterday she had congestive heart failure and died this morning.

Very sad. When I was in 1st-3rd grade my siblings and I lived w/ her when my dad was stationed overseas and my mom attended nursing school.

I'm sorry AFD. That's terrible
sicemdawgs77
Sorry to hear that AF. My condolences.
BlackBaker
dang
Shelt320
Thanks and I hope all is well with your family
Klc71
BlackBaker said:

reading comprehension is tough for some people

i wanted to see if anyone on the board had covid and what their experience with it was, for me it was extremely mild. apparently me sharing that has upset you.

go seek outrage somewhere else

Not seeking outrage at all. Just seemed like a leading question like the kid who makes a 98 on a test and aka everyone else what they made so he can bring up his 08.
Klc71
HunkerDownDawgs said:

Klc71 said:

BlackBaker said:

ANyoen on here had the Vid

I had it a few weeks back and on a 1 -10 scale with it was a 2 at worst

What's the point of this post? "It was a 2 at worst." Are you trying to downplay the virus?
What's the point of this post? His scale was based in his experience. It was similar to mine as well. Are you trying to downplay people's right to state their own experience?

Not at all. COVID is a very polarizing subject. Most people who talk about how minor their experience is, does so to downplay the seriousness of it.
Bulldawg1
I did not see it that way from OP. Most people here aren't like that.
Lamar
Man, after reading this thread my emotions are really mixed as it has been a roller coaster ride of finding myself both heartened and really saddened.

Those of you who have had Covid and recovered I hope you realize that I am thankful you are now OK.

Those who presently have it I pray for your speedy and full recovery.

Shelt, I remember a while back your mentioning that you were unable to visit your mom and how tough that has been on you. You have been in my prayers every since I read that post. Hopefully you'll be able to see her soon.

AFD, I'm really sorry for the loss of your grandma. I'm sure she was an outstanding lady and she helped raise an outstanding grandson. You and your situation will be in my prayers.

I've always appreciated the tight knit community here and keep all of you in my prayers.

I know not everyone believes in the power of prayer but I do. I'm convinced that it is the only thing that got me through some trying times and difficult situations.

We probably all suspected or knew it, but it was pretty sobering for me to read Dean's post saying that we had lost some members to Covid.

I really hate to hear that. May their souls rest in eternal peace.
Gasdawg
I think of Doredog almost daily. He lost his loving wife from this when SW GA was getting hammered early on.

If you're reading this, Dore, hope you're doing as well as could be expected and know you're on my mind.
Lamar
Gasdawg said:

I think of Doredog almost daily. He lost his loving wife from this when SW GA was getting hammered early on.

If you're reading this, Dore, hope you're doing as well as could be expected and know you're on my mind.
Yep His situation was really tough and took place rather early in this Covid mess. He's a really strong man.

I appreciate what you do Gasdawg. I always wondered about your name but didn't realize how it truly came about. What you do is truly admirable and puts you in harms way quite a bit.

Dean's post got me wondering about ol' 65 and Firebrand. Neither has posted in a while and I really hope both are ok.

Gasdawg
Thanks Lamar.

Was wondering about firebrand myself during this thread as well. Far as I know, 65 is alive and well fussing about Jacksonville somewhere . He's a good, philanthropic supporter of UGA, but way too ornery to catch covid.
Kidding of course.
BlackBaker
would you rather me lie and say my experience was difficult? how in the hell did you arrive at this conclusion from reading my post and then reading the responses to it? you are the only person that has somehow found a way to insert any form of negativity into this thread.

Shame on you sir!

SHAME

ON

YOU

Klc71
BlackBaker said:

would you rather me lie and say my experience was difficult? how in the hell did you arrive at this conclusion from reading my post and then reading the responses to it? you are the only person that has somehow found a way to insert any form of negativity into this thread.

Shame on you sir!

SHAME

ON

YOU

I apologize if I took it wrong, but shame on me? Really?
ahurst344
Or maybe they talk about it in a moderately positive light to help take fear away from people?

Hearing real life experiences makes this easier for me personally and I still know very much how serious it is.
Klc71
Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive. Just found out last week my 71 year old father who's overweight and has issues with blood clots tested positive.

I apologize to all of I came off as a ******canoe.
BCC5723
AirForceDawg said:

On Tuesday evening my maternal grandmother tested positive for COVID-19. Yesterday she had congestive heart failure and died this morning.

Very sad. When I was in 1st-3rd grade my siblings and I lived w/ her when my dad was stationed overseas and my mom attended nursing school.

So sorry to hear that. Prayers with you and family.
Shelt320
Thank you for your prayers and thoughtfulness.
Lamar , I pray everyday to my God and think Jesus for that gift that he has given me. The one thing that helps me through these tough times is knowing that my mom is a Christian. That in itself provides me comfort.
HunkerDownDawgs
Klc71 said:

Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive. Just found out last week my 71 year old father who's overweight and has issues with blood clots tested positive.

I apologize to all of I came off as a ******canoe.
No worries. Hopefully your dad is doing well. If you are a week into it, my guess is you should have a decent idea of whether his issues will be severe or moderate, but taking the regimen of vitamins and OTC stuff is the way to go (my doctor recommended all of the same stuff Ryan posted, along with a zinc and a couple different allergy meds like Flonase).
apmdawg
Been gone all day. Thanks for info Gasdawg. Prayers to you and your family AFD. When this thing finally subsides, and it will, the one thing I want the scientists to figure out is how 2 relatively same age and same health profile people can have 2 drastically different outcomes. As gasdawg pointed out, it possibly could be time of exposure and the viral load/shedding of the person that one catches it from.
On a side note and not trying to raise the conspiracy flag but is anyone catching the flu this year? I haven't heard of one person with the seasonal flu.
BlackBaker
I think fitness level more specifically over all health probably plays a large role in it.

DawgInTheSandhills
RyanJordan said:

RyanJordan said:

Taking Mucinex, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Echinacea every day. Making sure I get up and move around every hour or so.

Staying in motion is great therapy for the mind and body
21 B2B 22
HBTFD
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.