COVID question for the board

10,981 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ColonialDawg
BlackBaker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ANyoen on here had the Vid

I had it a few weeks back and on a 1 -10 scale with it was a 2 at worst

Bulldawg1
Yes, i had it back in the summer. The family went to the Chattanooga Aquarium - masks were required worn. A couple days later my wife and I and oldest son we know all had it.
They had headaches and lost sense of taste a few days. I had bodyaches (just thought it was lack of sleep) for 2 days. That was it. It didn't last long, and was like having a cold a couple of days. Since then, several other family has had it, and it was about the same for them - young and old. None of the younger kids ever had any symptoms if they got it.

However, we also know a few people who got it bad, and several who died from it. It's so strange how it's no worse than a common cold for some, for others it's brutal, and for some it's deadly. All of those that died that we know were elderly, except for 1 man in his 40s.
A side note in the mask thing. We have a friend who works in hospice care. She was only around 1 person that had it for a brief time (a patient), and both were wearing masks - but she ended up getting it. She said they are told masks can help, but most masks people wear don't necessarily keep you from spreading it getting COVID. In other words, if you are very nervous/concerned about getting COVID, and want to make sure, you need to wear an N-95 or stronger - those common masks dont fully protect.
HunkerDownDawgs
Same here. My whole team at work got it the week before Thanksgiving. My wife tested negative so I stayed at a friends house who had already had it and wasn't worried about catching it again. Enjoyed about 10 days there watching football and movies, playing cards and games and eating and drinking way too much. I never had a fever but felt tired, had muscle stiffness, and was a little congested for a couple of days, but none of which was even as bad as a common cold, although I did lose all taste and smell for about a week. Overall, I agree with your 2 out of 10 severity rating, but now I have the "superpower" of immunity for at least around six months, plus I got the 10 day vacation at my friends house, so it was probably more of a positive than anything else. If you have somewhere you can go to quarantine, I highly recommend getting Covid! All kidding aside, I fell into the 95% category for which it is just not a big deal at all. The other 5% have serious problems or die. I'm not sure how all of the numbers compare to the seasonal flu, but have heard that Covid is worse, so it's certainly a concern, but I will save for the future post-script the question of whether the precautions have been worse than the disease itself, as I'm sure those that have had a much more severe reaction or those who lost a loved one have strong feelings about the seriousness of the virus and I don't want to offend anyone by minimizing it.
ssidedawg
Healthcare workers are at risk because of time of exposure and confined areas. Hospice rooms arent exactly ICU rooms.

You walk by someone COVID positive and you have a "typical" mask, you are probably good.

Spend several hours in a typically ventilated room with a great mask....there is a risk. Its why N95's are rationed and resterilized in hospitals. They work in that hospice scenario.
Graciedawg
Got it around three weeks ago. Had some weird confusion first night, chills second night, then felt like I was ran over by a Mack truck for two days. Lost taste and smell a couple of days in and after body aches felt like a bad cold. Too sick to do much and finally had doctor friend come to house ten days in. Found out I had contracted double pneumonia. Gave me shots and pills to take. Getting better everyday but doc says it's going to be a long recovery. Was able to play a round of golf Friday.
Dean Legge
Staff
We've had members of the board pass away from it.
Walvegasdog
I've not had it, but my 25 year old daughter had it just before Thanksgiving and she has limited taste and smell. She had it really rough for about 5 days. She tested positive a few weeks later and was told that was not uncommon, but that she was no longer contagious.

I know several couples where one got it and other didn't, but also know couples where one gave it to the other one. Some of people I know that got it had limited symptoms and discomfort, but others said that was worst thing they ever experienced. I also knew 5 people that passed away from covid. All were over 70 with the exception of a healthy, 58 year old male. It all seems so random.

ARS1
Yes back in June my daughter, my wife and myself had it. Daughter and i had sinus congestion, extremely tired and loat taste and smell but Our symptoms subsided after couple weeks, no fever. Took a couple times to get negative result.
Wife had it pretty bad, including running a fever between 100-102 for 13 straight days.
bhayesii
Had it in August...10 day headache and weird fatigue with a low grade fever...Finally back to 90+ after 5 weeks. No meds, just kept working around the house.
Graciedawg
It's really weird how this virus seems to be different for everyone. I'll be the first to admit that I underestimated the virus. Never thought it would bring me to my knees like it did. One friend only lost taste and smell for a few days. That was it.
Bulldawg1
My entire family got CoVID while wearing masks and being around others wearing masks. They didn't work for us. I understand that is my personal experience, but it is a real/actual experience - not an opinion or a what if.

The hospice lady - your scenario isn't what happenned - very different - just passing along what she and all her co-workers are taught by the medical professionals and teams they work with, and/or have experienced - nothing more or less. Again, not my opinion, just stating what occurred in real life.
Bulldawg1
That's rough, sorry to hear.
Bulldawg1
That is sad, it sucks for sure (I don't use that word much, but it describes this disease and it's effects on all of our lives.)
champ1210
Had it for the last 10 days. Trying to turn the corner now.
CummingDawg22
Had it in May. Had two nights of chills and a fever. For me it was very mild.
apmdawg
Now for the next question: How many of you are going to take the vaccine? I have not had Covid as far as I know. I got tested in May, it was negative. I check my temp everyday before I go to work and I have never lost my sense of smell or taste.
As a side note, I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine a week ago Wednesday (shoulder soreness was my only side effect) and will go back the 1st week of Feb. for the second dose. Also, to any of you medical posters, I wonder if 26 yrs of flu shots offers some improved immunity against Covid. I know that Covid is a different virus but I wonder if years of vaccinations helps build the T cell immunity against viruses in general.
Gasdawg
It's a weird virus. But it can be explained to some degree based on what scientist know from MERS and SARS. Pretty much boils down to viral load. The longer one is around an infected, shedding person (usually in the first week of showing symptoms) the higher the chance of increased viral load and a more severe illness. Masks and distancing help tremendously, but they're not 100%. Especially if exposed for a longer period of time during peak shedding.

I got the dreaded call from my late 70s dad (former heavy smoker) in early December. He and mom had been meticulously wearing masks, church online, and the like. Fortunately he only had two days of mild congestion and mom never tested positive.

Two friends, both in late 40s (my age) one mildly obese and the other I'd say morbidly obese came down with it. Otherwise healthy. One spent a few weeks in ICU and barely avoided the ventilator. The other is fighting for his life on the ventilator as we speak in Jacksonville. Both are nurses.

I'll share why I'm gasdawg. I'm a gas passer for the last 24 years. Been practicing anesthesia as a nurse anesthetist in small towns since '01 (large medical centers before that), usually by myself, but business fortunately grew and I've hired more CRNAs over the years.
Never in my life have I ever seen anything like this. I've politely asked for people to take this very seriously. It may not kill you, but you can spread it so easily (if not careful) to someone it will. I'd say my icu at my primary hospital called me to intubate a patient once every two months on average. Until this spring. Now it's five times a week for our 25-bed rural hospital. After regular surgeries are done, my partner and I may spent 2-3 more hours/day just in icu whether it's intubating or putting in central lines (iv's that go to your vena cava). We usually count on getting called 3 nights/wk around midnight when it used to be once a month and that was almost always for OB. Not complaining, just giving context.

Sorry for the long post. Stay safe. Get vaccinated when you can. We're full of it at my place. Amazed I haven't got it.
Gasdawg
Possibly

https://m.ufhealth.org/news/2020/uf-health-study-shows-flu-vaccination-might-confer-protection-against-severe-covid-19

Dang, I hate that's UF research

Edit: found another that doesn't mention florida...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-flu-shot-might-reduce-coronavirus-infections-early-research-suggests/
ssidedawg
Gasdawg said:

It's a weird virus. But it can be explained to some degree based on what scientist know from MERS and SARS. Pretty much boils down to viral load. The longer one is around an infected, shedding person (usually in the first week of showing symptoms) the higher the chance of increased viral load and a more severe illness. Masks and distancing help tremendously, but they're not 100%. Especially if exposed for a longer period of time during peak shedding.

I got the dreaded call from my late 70s dad (former heavy smoker) in early December. He and mom had been meticulously wearing masks, church online, and the like. Fortunately he only had two days of mild congestion and mom never tested positive.

Two friends, both in late 40s (my age) one mildly obese and the other I'd say morbidly obese came down with it. Otherwise healthy. One spent a few weeks in ICU and barely avoided the ventilator. The other is fighting for his life on the ventilator as we speak in Jacksonville. Both are nurses.

I'll share why I'm gasdawg. I'm a gas passer for the last 24 years. Been practicing anesthesia as a nurse anesthetist in small towns since '01 (large medical centers before that), usually by myself, but business fortunately grew and I've hired more CRNAs over the years.
Never in my life have I ever seen anything like this. I've politely asked for people to take this very seriously. It may not kill you, but you can spread it so easily (if not careful) to someone it will. I'd say my icu at my primary hospital called me to intubate a patient once every two months on average. Until this spring. Now it's five times a week for our 25-bed rural hospital. After regular surgeries are done, my partner and I may spent 2-3 more hours/day just in icu whether it's intubating or putting in central lines (iv's that go to your vena cava). We usually count on getting called 3 nights/wk around midnight when it used to be once a month and that was almost always for OB. Not complaining, just giving context.

Sorry for the long post. Stay safe. Get vaccinated when you can. We're full of it at my place. Amazed I haven't got it.
Thank you and stay safe!
Bulldawg1
I won't initially - will let those that need it more get it first.
Gasdawg
ssidedawg
Gasdawg said:

Possibly

https://m.ufhealth.org/news/2020/uf-health-study-shows-flu-vaccination-might-confer-protection-against-severe-covid-19

Dang, I hate that's UF research

Edit: found another that doesn't mention florida...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-flu-shot-might-reduce-coronavirus-infections-early-research-suggests/
Read that too. I would think most HC workers (80%+) are required to get a flu shot. (I am). Yet a few studies show a higher prevalence of COVID in HC workers.

I found another study with HC workers + flu vaccine + COVID prevalence. Shows the flu shot helps too But as you stated long term exposure is a huge risk factor for COVID.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/11/201116125608.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/healthcareworkers.htm

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10875-020-00925-0

Gasdawg
Off the top of my head, I'd say 20% of our staff has tested positive. Well above the national average. Vast majority were under 30 and healthy so no major issues with them.
Oddly, my main facility doesn't require flu shots. Another one, if they don't give it to you themselves, you must show documentation that you've had it.
dawgpostsucks
On Tuesday evening my maternal grandmother tested positive for COVID-19. Yesterday she had congestive heart failure and died this morning.

Very sad. When I was in 1st-3rd grade my siblings and I lived w/ her when my dad was stationed overseas and my mom attended nursing school.
Gasdawg
I'm sorry, AFD
Klc71
Prayers AFD.
Klc71
BlackBaker said:

What's the point of this post? "It was a 2 at worst." Are you trying to downplay the virus?
BlackBaker
reading comprehension is tough for some people

i wanted to see if anyone on the board had covid and what their experience with it was, for me it was extremely mild. apparently me sharing that has upset you.

go seek outrage somewhere else
HunkerDownDawgs
Klc71 said:

BlackBaker said:

What's the point of this post? "It was a 2 at worst." Are you trying to downplay the virus?
What's the point of this post? His scale was based in his experience. It was similar to mine as well. Are you trying to downplay people's right to state their own experience?
BlackBaker
thanks for sharing this info, you have no idea how helpful for me your post was.

Gasdawg
Andrew
Sorry for your loss AF.
HunkerDownDawgs
AFD, it's tough to lose a grandparent, especially one you were close to and even more so when it plays out so quickly. Sorry for your loss.
ssidedawg
Very sorry to hear that.
DawgFactor21
I'm getting it as soon as it's available to me. Haven't had it yet but know a number of folks that have. Wide range of severity.

Condolences AFD.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.