Went to the open practice yesterday.

3,503 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by begger
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very poor turnout. I can come up with various reasons why turnout was low, but at some point basketball has to be important enough for people to make the effort to show our support for the team. Crean couldn't have been happy, given all the effort he has put into marketing and promoting his program.

That said, the team is just in phenomenal shape. They ran the whole practice. At least 4-5 different sessions of fast breaks alone, individual offensive shooting drills, sessions going over the base offensive sets, and some work on defensive shell drills for MTM and zone, with finally a little scrimmage at the end with the losers having to run. Many of the drills also incorporate fast breaks into them. I would call it a pretty spirited practice.

Afterward, Crean spoke a bit and then each of the players introduced themselves and came up into the stands to talk to the fans. I spoke with all the freshmen and a few other players. Really impressed with all the freshmen's attitudes. I saw Crump before practice and asked how he felt in the new system. His exact words were, "Free". All the players were just much looser than under Fox. The psychology is just totally different. Now, Crean didn't hesitate to get on kids if he thought they were doing something wrong, but he didn't blast them like Fox would. Crean's way encourages confidence. At one point, Ignas threw a pass over the back of his head. Now, Fox would have gone ape**** over that. Crean said, "Ignas bringing a little Lithuanian in here." LOL

It's too soon to tell what we will be like under Crean and how successful we will be, but I liked what I saw.
Monteg 9226
Hey monk when is midnight madnesses
Monkdawg
We didn't technically have a "Midnight Madness". We had Stegmania a few weeks ago, which ended with a solid 20 minute scrimmage. Midnight Madness, when teams have it, always comes right at the beginning of when practices are allowed. Yesterday was our 27th practice, so we are well along in our preparation for the season, as we should since the first game is this Friday.
willpmd
I was in school for the Harrick years, if Crean wins even a reasonable amount the fans will show in force.

The steg was a destination myvsoph Year andcwith Crean's style of play I think it will be again
Every man should believe in something, I believe Florida sucks
begger
Had no idea there even was an open practice.
StevieBuckets
This is the first time I haven't attended in years. It was poorly managed by the AA. I reached out a couple weeks ago and asked when it would be (as it's normally in October) and they only said they were "working on it." The invitation came out on Thursday, and RSVPs were due Friday. By that time it was too late to plan around it.

It obviously wasn't a priority for them.
Monkdawg
begger, it was an open practice for season ticket holders.
Monkdawg
I agree. It was kind of thrown together. For example, there were no drinks or snacks, just a practice. Now, that's fine with me; I'm just there to see the practice, but it might turn some off.
begger
Thanks Monk. I haven't bought season tickets in a while, relying on the kindness of friends.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.