Random offseason topic

3,653 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dean Legge
RedDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Like BigKNine1 said, it's been pretty dead here so I figured I'd try to drum up some conversation.

What's up with Virginia and North Carolina calling their series the "South's Oldest Rivalry"? I mean Georgia - Auburn is known as the "Deep South's Oldest Rivalry", but UGA-Aub actually started ~before~ UVa-UNC. The first time UVa and UNC played was October 22, 1892, while UGA and Auburn first played 8 months earlier on February 20, 1892. And while UVa-UNC had played one more game in the series for a long time, that was only because they played a doubleheader in that first season, with the second game coming a month later on November 26, 1892. UGA-Aub evened up the number of games in 2017 with the rematch in the SEC-Championship game that year. Other than those two seasons, both rivalries have been contested the same number of times, and in the same seasons (both rivalries were suspended the same number of times during both WWI and WWII).

But in any case, UGA-Aub is older than UVa-UNC, so there's no need to qualify it as being in the "Deep South". What say y'all??
Dean Legge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
The more auburn and UGA meet in the SECCG the quicker that game will pass UNC-UVa in terms of most games played, so that could be one thing that folks start calling it in the future.

Good question.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.