Tennessee hired Jim Chaney as its new offensive coordinator

3,311 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dawgpostsucks
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In 19 years as a Division I-A/FBS offensive coordinator, Jim Chaney's offenses have ranked an average of #48 in scoring and #46 in total yards.

2018 (UGA): #14 FBS scoring offense (37.9 ppg); - note: includes 4 non-offensive TDs; #18 FBS total offense (465.7 ypg)
2017 (UGA): #20 FBS scoring offense (35.4 ppg); #32 FBS total offense (435.3 ypg)
2016 (UGA): #102 FBS scoring offense (24.5 ppg); #87 FBS total offense (384.7 ypg)
2015 (Pitt): #70 FBS scoring offense (28.3 ppg); #76 FBS total offense (381 ypg)
2014 (Arkansas): #42 FBS scoring offense (31.9 ppg); #60 FBS total offense (406 ypg)
2013 (Arkansas): #105 FBS scoring offense (20.7 ppg); #99 FBS total offense (357.2 ypg)
2012 (Tennessee): #22 FBS scoring offense (36.17 ppg); #18 FBS total offense (475.92 ypg)
2011 (Tennessee): #106 FBS scoring offense (20.33 ppg); #104 FBS total offense (332.67 ypg)
2010 (Tennessee): #58 FBS scoring offense (27 ppg); #75 FBS total offense (363.77 ypg)
2009 (Tennessee): #43 FBS scoring offense (29.31 ppg); #60 FBS total offense (383.46 ypg)
2005 (Purdue): #36 FBS scoring offense (30 ppg); #25 FBS total offense (428.45 ypg)
2004 (Purdue): #20 FBS scoring offense (31.75 ppg); #13 FBS total offense (446.5 ypg)
2003 (Purdue): #59 FBS scoring offense (26.85 ppg); #65 FBS total offense (372.92 ypg)
2002 (Purdue): #40 FBS scoring offense (29.69 ppg); #7 FBS total offense (452.23 ypg)
2001 (Purdue): #97 FBS scoring offense (20.27 ppg); #105 FBS total offense (306.09 ypg)
2000 (Purdue): #21 FBS scoring offense (32.45 ppg); #4 FBS total offense (471.18 ypg)
1999 (Purdue): #19 FBS scoring offense (32.6 ppg); #8 FBS total offense (456 ypg)
1998 (Purdue): #18 FBS scoring offense (33.9 ppg); #16 FBS total offense (457 ypg)
1997 (Purdue): #21 FBS scoring offense (33 ppg); #7 FBS total offense (459.64 ypg)

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Jim-Chaney-Tennessee-Vols-hire-offensive-coordinator-Georgia-Bulldogs-127549878/
Haney
This is interesting, why would you leave Athens for Knoxville-a place where you are loaded with offensive talent to a place you have less talent?? It seems to me that UGA could have matched the money if they wanted-so seems to be they let him walk??

I find it also interesting that in the picture Kirby tweeted out with all new enrollees, Coley is in that picture. I have read speculation that Chaney is leaving partially because he is frustrated with sharing OC duties with Coley. Does this mean Kirby plans to promote Coley to OC?? I am hoping not, as Coley was not a good OC for Miami.

So you have to wonder what is going on with our program-losing Mel made sense-he wanted a head job and he jumped at the chance. But losing the OC in the same year as the DC, and when you return so much talent on both sides of the ball, does this say that Kirby is hard to work for, or that Kirby has made some poor decisions on the offensive side?? I will say this, I have NOT been a fan of Chaney since his arrival, to me this offense has done well against teams they should do well against but against the better defenses, they struggle-Chaney seemed to have difficulty making adjustments in a lot of big games. The offense this year had some very bad first halfs-we have had 4 backs go for over 1k in the last two years, but we have stacked WR's and TE's and they go long stretches without making any catches. I guess my point is, while you always hate to lose coordinators, maybe this is a chance for Kirby to improve our coaching. So far he has been parallel to Richt in almost every way, if you remember, Richt lost Van Gorder after year 4 and to me our defense was never the same until he brought in Grantham/Pruitt and they were far from great during their tenures.

You look at Clemson and you see that stability, it makes you wonder about Kirby and Nick Saban. Course for Saban, I can't recall him losing a coordinator to anything other than a head coaching job, which is why this Chaney move is surprising to say the least-and it makes you wonder if this was a mutual parting. I guess we shall see what Kirby will do-now we have no OC or DC, and usually when you bring in new coordinators, they might have someone they want to bring with them, meaning will Chaney try to lure one of our assistants to Knoxville. For those that worry about Pittman, I don't worry about him leaving for UT-as Pruitt has Will Friend and those two are very close, but Bama if they do lose their OL coach, they most certainly could come calling-and their likely new OC Enos has worked with Pittman before. Time will tell but wow, what a couple months for the program we all love.
Dawgs1971
They offered almost twice the salay. 2 Mil more. Pretty sure we didn't counter because we didn't plan on retaining him. We can do better.
Once a DAWG, Always a DAWG. How Sweet it is!!!
dawgpostsucks
https://allfortennessee.com/2019/01/10/tennessee-football-chaney-concerns/

Tennessee football: 5 reasons for concern over Vols hiring OC Jim Chaney
By Caleb Calhoun
11 January 2019
Bobert21
I aint worried about Tennessee.
dawgpostsucks
https://www.dawgnation.com/football/jim-chaney-offensive-georgia-elite-program

Jim Chaney wasn't the offensive guru Georgia needs to be an elite program
By Bill King
13 January 2019

[T]here was growing frustration within UGA's Butts-Mehre athletic complex over the Dawgs' repeated failures in short-yardage and first-and-goal situations.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.