One of you dp experts please explain to me the usage of Justin Fields!

2,943 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Darindawg
Darindawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't get it...I have a doctorate degree, but it's in Theology. I guess I need one in Footballology to understand this but me and my crowd don't get the play calling involving JF on this team.

They bring him in for one play...ONE play, he hands off to Swift, then he goes out of the game, in comes Fromm. Then, we'll get in a situation where we need just one yard for a first down, they'll bring him in for that one play...which in that case, my mother-in-law knows it's going to be a QB run.
Then they get down inside the 10, they bring him in for a couple of runs, then if we don't score, they bring back in Fromm.
Am I the only one that just thinks this is a serious miss-usage of the kid?
I mean, bring him in for an honest-to-God possession, let him get 4 plays at least, let him pass the blinkin ball...he uh, CAN pass you know Chaney?

Stop bringing him in for one play, and then back to the sidelines he goes. What does that accomplish but to get Fromm out of Rhythm and it's sure not doing anything to build his experience and confidence.
So...I regress, maybe I'm missing something here...would anyone with a PhD in footballology care to enlighten me, or is everyone as confused as I am?
cincydawg
I think Smart is trying to figure this out as well, and you have to run experiments to see what can work, and then the other team adjusts to that. Showing Fields means the opponents have to prepare for his insertion. I was glad to see him attempting some passes, he should be more than a pure run threat.

BIGKNINE1
Justin is ....gone after the season. He will play elsewhere next year. Therefore, it is of no use to discuss how he is being "used", because the coachjes know it already.
BIGKNINE1
Welll, according to KS Fields is improving everyday. But..., then he says Fields needs to mature more and get better. Fields, IMHO, in the eyes of the coaches, SUCKS and can't do the job. He can't pass, gets sacked alot, doesn't stay up long enough, and is inmatured. Therefeore, what's the point in developing him if he is leaving next year? The problem with the whole thing is that Fromm, IMHO, doesn't do a well and consistent job for one to feel comfortable in his work either. Feel bad for the kid, but he will get more reps elsewhere and he can develop into what most of his friends think he can develop into.
The Factor
I think Fields will get a lot of playing time this week against UMass... He did not play well against Auburn... He's got a ton of work to do on the management side of being a top Qb... He takes one look and then starts running... This will get him killed in the long run... He got a delay of game penalty... He just doesn't have the same focus as Fromm... Fromm is one of the top Qb's in the nation...
Piggskinn
I see it like The Factor. Fromm "gets it". He sees how defenses are lined up, and knows how to take advantage of it. He, also, takes a bad sack every now and then. His interceptions are usually so bad, they almost seem fake-but they are fortunately not plentiful. Justin has wild eyes. He knows where he is going to go, before the snap, and if that is not open, then he panics and is looking for a place to run-thus the 18 yard sack. He has got to develop his composure. That was the main thing Eason suffered from, too.Jake is just cool, for the most part.
Darindawg
You sound pretty confident Bigknine that JF will transfer...why you think that? And why would he? He'd have to sit out a year and play as a junior, if Fromm goes pro, he'll get to play where he's at as a junior and not have to worry about competition, cause there's no one behind him or beside him on the depth chart.
Haney
The expectations for JFields were/are too high. He is for better or worse, attached to Lawrence over at Clemson. Well, Lawrence started on his varsity for 4 years of HS ball, to Justin's two. He is playing in an offense nearly identical to what he ran in HS, AND the QB he beat out is NOT Jake Fromm.

Justin in HS was one primary target, if not open take off and run. He was head and shoulders above HS kids but in college, EVERYONE can run, even DL can in the SEC can run. He looked good in the spring game but I have seen a LOT of UGA QB's look good in the spring game, only to never play a snap at QB.

As for the playing time, it is hard to figure out sometimes, I will give you that. I have been calling for a wilddog formation with Fields inside the 20, or for sure inside the 10 all year, but if not that, let him have a series and not a play here or there. I will say this, against AU he struggled a bit taking the delay of game and a long sack. He simply right now is not as good at Fromm. I do NOT think he is transferring. If he does, he sits out next year, which puts him as a starter in year 3, guess what, he might be OUR starter in year 3 if he stays.
Darindawg
You're spot on Haney...and I've wondered about the Read-option thing. He ran that some at the beginning of the year down in the red zone. That thing drives D Coordinators crazy. He looked good at it, but Chaney has just abandoned that, or have I just missed it? That would be something he could excel at if they'd stick with it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.