Roster changes

4,575 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tyree02
dawg212003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like Taja Cole and Donetta Johnson are no longer on the roster.
mac25
wow, really liked Johnson and her potential. Does anyone know what happened?
Tyree02
The crazy thing is I questioned Joni for taking the VA Tech pg mid season and now I see why she did so in regards to Taja and having five kids that could run the point next season. Now we know that Cole and Donnetta are leaving the program. There is a lot of talent leaving Tech and North Carolina, that could be eligible next season. Elizabeth Balogun is transferring from Tech and she is crazy talented. Stephanie Watts is a big guard that could help us a lot. Both players upgrade our offensive power. Although, Cole and Johnson are very talented kids, the two kids that I just identified give you volumes of offensive firepower!
mac25
Tyree,

I agree they are talented kids but would they be eligible next year?
mmixon
With what has happened to Tech and Carolina all the players could apply for waivers to play immediate and probably would be granted eligibility right away.
mmixon
We might be jumping the gun on both programs. Carolina prides itself on basketball and if the fire Coach Hatchell they will spend money on her replacement. Tech fines the right coach who knows how to recruit, this could put UGA in a very tough situation. The players that both schools already have would not leave if they see a coach comes in and shows them that they could be even better than they were in the past. I can't see any recruit leaving either program until they have met with the new coaches and see their visions. For example, UGA Men's Team just went through the first year of Coach Crean in which none of the players transferred. Although this year we have one who says he will leave. But what I have always feared the most is Tech getting a Coach who goes in there who knows how to win an recruit. This could really send UGA down the ladder. Tech already has equal or better talent as UGA does now. Could you imagine a future Geno Auriema, Muffet McGraw or Kim Mulkey at Tech. Atlanta already attracts top level players, the kids who lives there and around the state would love to be there. Let's keep our eyes open on who Tech hires next.
dawg212003
Another player is leaving the men's team. It's still possible to have Claxton go pro. I don't see Tech owning Uga anytime soon.
ladyQdawg
We still need some post players with some size. We are smaller than every team we play.
Next year is going to be even tougher without Robinson and she needed some help inside.
Foul trouble and getting worn down since we needed her on the court was a huge problem
when she went out of the game.

I hope Joni will take a good look at the transfer portal for a BIG grad transfer or 2 to fill the holes
in the post.
dawg212003
Not only depth at the post position but our strength and conditioning was really bad.
ladyQdawg
Agree, and as someone has mentioned it might be a good time to evaluate all the staff.
Tyree02
There is plenty to evaluate in the transfer portal. EVERYBODY is being severely impacted by transfers. South Carolina took a major hit from major contributors and I highly doubt that Dawn will allow movement within the conference. She capitalized off of it with Jennings but she can be petty sometimes. Mark my words, Georgia will land some good transfers that will greatly contribute!
mac25
is there a link to the portal? Does South Carolina have transfers?
mmixon
The Transfer Portal is not the way to build a Team. It is suppose to maybe give you a player at a certain position of need. But if you are using the Transfer Portal to build a team, it is really saying you are showing a sign of desperation to build a team. I am hoping our staff is trying to use 4 or 5 scholarships in the 2020 class. That is a talented class and we need players who will help build chemistry. Chloe Jackson went to Baylor to be the shooting guard, never thought she would be the point guard. But she filled both roles and help them win their third national championship. That was a good transfer, a senior with three years of experience. When you look at it, she was one of two transfers on the four rosters in the final four. Erin Boley left Notre Dame after her freshman year to get more playing time at Oregon. She would have had to wait for her senior year at Notre Dame to start. If you look at the four final four teams, they got there by running offenses that almost were pass first then shoot type teams. Those are the type players I hope UGA recruits. The NCAA is trying to amend the Transfer Portal which would mean more and more players will have to sit out a year no matter what the circumstances are. UGA doesn't need a bunch of players sitting a whole year before they can play.
Tyree02
There are grad transfers out there. Te'a Cooper has left South Carolina and she's looking for a home. There are plenty of kids that will be available that won't have t sit next season. Those kids from Tech that transferred would be given access to play next season, easily. There are a lot of kids moving for better situations.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.