Vaccine side effects round 2

7,356 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ssidedawg
Gasdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dean, no hard feelings if you feel this belongs on the back porch. But we did have a pretty good discussion last week here, and I said I'd update the board.

So got #2 a day early Wednesday morning. No issue all day except a sore shoulder after supper. Been hearing the week before from some Brunswick folks that second was a little more substantial. Just weird dreams the first night.
Thursday was must've what felt like a mild flu (never had it, so can't compare) felt like. Body aches and mild fever but without any congestion. Just took Advil/Tylenol around the clock. Good appetite. Night 2 was slightly worse. Never really felt bad in the head, but sweated all night like never before. Had to leave the bed at 3am because there was literally nowhere left dry. And yes, a smell check to make sure it was just sweat. At least it was in an Atlanta hotel and not home. Side note...don't drive to Atlanta (3.5 hrs) the next day.
Woke up this morning and pretty much normal. Did my business this morning and drove back home. Feeling fine now.

Not trying to sway anyone one way or the other (I am actually). Just wanted to say that I'd gladly sacrifice the last 36 hours I've experienced over what I've personally witnessed these last 8 months.
Take care.
Dean Legge
Staff
I have heard the same about the second shot and the day after
Gasdawg
It's pretty consistent with all of us who got it Wednesday. You really just lose a day.
Trackdawg073
Have heard the second can be rough. But it still sounds a lot better than getting covid so when it's my turn I will be getting it
deadeyedawg
O lord just #1 yesterday, appt feb 18for 2nd 1. lot to look forward to.
sicemdawgs77
I actually appreciate the info and first hand experience.
ssidedawg
Make sure you hydrate, plenty of electrolytes. Bananas and avoid alcohol day before.

2nd shot will knock you down but that means it's working
UgaBoz53
Trackdawg073 said:

Have heard the second can be rough. But it still sounds a lot better than getting covid so when it's my turn I will be getting it
have had covid and just had allergies
Gasdawg
As did my 76 year old dad and most people I know. Count your blessings, friend.
Ccso1981
I have had both. The day after my second shot I had what felt like a 12 hour hangover. I slept most of the day and just felt rough.

Woke up the following morning and ran 5 miles. So it wasn't that bad.
PaulWesterdawg
6 extended family members have taken the shot. 4 moderna and 2 Pfizer. all are on shot #1

4 of the 6 had no side effects at all. Tiny soreness in arm. One had quite a bit of soreness. The other in his 40s had massive sweats and headache the day atyer. To the point he almost slipped off the toilet. Said it was like a brutal hangover. But day after he was fine. Like 12 bad hours.

All of that is better than my friends who've had COVID.
Gasdawg
Agree. Shot 1 is a cakewalk. As is the virus for almost 98-99% of the population.
apmdawg
Gas, which vaccine did you receive, moderna or Pfizer? I had the 1st shot (modern) 2 weeks ago this past Wednesday and had no side effects other than a little shoulder soreness.
Dean Legge
Staff
If you are in Georgia the likelihood is that you have Modena
Dean Legge
Staff
In addition, if you are older please keep in mind that you can travel in your area to get the shots.

You don't have to stay in your county. For instance, if you live in towns county be sure to call rabun county.

People are not checking driver's licenses

If you have an appointment with your name you are in good shape.
Gasdawg
apmdawg said:

Gas, which vaccine did you receive, moderna or Pfizer? I had the 1st shot (modern) 2 weeks ago this past Wednesday and had no side effects other than a little shoulder soreness.

Moderna. And just a sore shoulder with the first.
ssidedawg
Dean Legge said:

For now. If you get it at a hospital, its likely Pfizer as they have the freezing capability. I hear they are shipping special freezers to satellite inoculation sites and pharmacies. Moderna is easier to store so most hospital healthcare workers get Pfizer in the hospital but if you are HC worker employed elsewhere then Moderna.

Trackdawg073
The JNJ vaccine should be a game changer cause of this. No special freezers and only one dose
Gasdawg
ssidedawg said:

Dean Legge said:

For now. If you get it at a hospital, its likely Pfizer as they have the freezing capability. I hear they are shipping special freezers to satellite inoculation sites and pharmacies. Moderna is easier to store so most hospital healthcare workers get Pfizer in the hospital but if you are HC worker employed elsewhere then Moderna.

Correct. Same for smaller hospitals. We don't have the same capacity as larger medical centers so we got moderna.
ssidedawg
True. Initial reports have it less effective though. Having all 3 will be great.

One of the biggest challenges right now is having enough people who can actually give the shot. I know they're actively recruiting nurses to do it on their day off. Obviously most healthcare workers are busy in the hospitals. It takes a specific person to give a shot like a pharmacist or a nurse. That's what has me frustrated the most is why this wasn't done in advance.They should've had the inoculation centers ready to go and people ready to actually give the shot.
Dean Legge
Staff
Trackdawg073 said:

The JNJ vaccine should be a game changer cause of this. No special freezers and only one dose

Yes
Dean Legge
Staff
ssidedawg said:

True. Initial reports have it less effective though. Having all 3 will be great.

One of the biggest challenges right now is having enough people who can actually give the shot. I know they're actively recruiting nurses to do it on their day off. Obviously most healthcare workers are busy in the hospitals. It takes a specific person to give a shot like a pharmacist or a nurse. That's what has me frustrated the most is why this wasn't done in advance.They should've had the inoculation centers ready to go and people ready to actually give the shot.

Pharmacies are going to have to do their part, and that included independents.

But the national guard is going to have to get involved.

This is a major effort, and the effort needs to reflect that.
Gasdawg
Trackdawg073 said:

Possibly Just 2 weeks away. The one and done shot would literally halve the distribution problems with the other 2. Not to mention, much more palatable to say you only need injection.
Trackdawg073
We'll see what the efficacy number is but 80% after one dose would be worth it, in reality a decent proportion of people aren't gonna come back to get there second dose with moderna or Pfizer. If people are only gonna get one dose, you want the highest efficacy after that one dose. We should get the initial reading next week
LuvsDawgs
I think it's very important to keep the brand of vaccination in mind when sharing how people felt the next day. That way people get a better idea of possible differences.
Working at a hospital, the great majority of my co-workers felt fine the day after bother Pfizer administrations.
However, Moderna was different. Wednesday morning, our unit had 8 nurses calling in sick the day after their 2nd Moderna. That's pretty significant. Not saying Moderna is worse at all, just saying it for consideration. And it somehow may have been just a weird coincidence.
Also, I've voiced my criticism to hospital administrators that they do a better job of planning when workers are given the shots, regardless of brand. IMO, if possible, it should be given the day before the person is off of work, just in case issues come up. I also think that would be wise for the general public...but I realize that can't always be possible with limited supplies.
ssidedawg
Trackdawg073 said:

We'll see what the efficacy number is but 80% after one dose would be worth it, in reality a decent proportion of people aren't gonna come back to get there second dose with moderna or Pfizer. If people are only gonna get one dose, you want the highest efficacy after that one dose. We should get the initial reading next week
One dose of Pfizer or Moderna is worthless. If people skip shot 2, that would be ignorant.
ssidedawg
LuvsDawgs said:

I think it's very important to keep the brand of vaccination in mind when sharing how people felt the next day. That way people get a better idea of possible differences.
Working at a hospital, the great majority of my co-workers felt fine the day after bother Pfizer administrations.
However, Moderna was different. Wednesday morning, our unit had 8 nurses calling in sick the day after their 2nd Moderna. That's pretty significant. Not saying Moderna is worse at all, just saying it for consideration. And it somehow may have been just a weird coincidence.
Also, I've voiced my criticism to hospital administrators that they do a better job of planning when workers are given the shots, regardless of brand. IMO, if possible, it should be given the day before the person is off of work, just in case issues come up. I also think that would be wise for the general public...but I realize that can't always be possible with limited supplies.
We are being asked to stagger shot #2 for that reason. You can safely and effectively get Moderna up to 30 days after its due. You just cant get #2 early.
LakeOconeeDawg
"We are being asked to stagger shot #2 for that reason. You can safely and effectively get Moderna up to 30 days after its due. You just cant get #2 early."

ssidedawg.......Just to clarify as my parents have gotten the 1st Moderna shot.They got it at Kroger. They were told that they couldn't schedule the 2nd shot as Kroger doesn't have it. They were told 28 days between shot shots so they have some time. Are you saying they would still be ok 30 days after the 28? In other words, 58 days from initial shot? Just want to inform them correctly.

Thanks in advance!
Gasdawg
CDC recommendations are second dose up to 42 days after initial.
ssidedawg
LakeOconeeDawg said:

"We are being asked to stagger shot #2 for that reason. You can safely and effectively get Moderna up to 30 days after its due. You just cant get #2 early."

ssidedawg.......Just to clarify as my parents have gotten the 1st Moderna shot.They got it at Kroger. They were told that they couldn't schedule the 2nd shot as Kroger doesn't have it. They were told 28 days between shot shots so they have some time. Are you saying they would still be ok 30 days after the 28? In other words, 58 days from initial shot? Just want to inform them correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Yes. So you have to wait the 28 days for sure because you can't go early. But I read on the CDC website you can wait as much as 30 days after it's due. Pfizer has a similar recommendation
ssidedawg
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

Looks like it is 42 days total. I saw a link before that 30 days overdue was OK. let me search that

EDIT. Looks like they changed the grace period as it was updated January 21. But yes you have six weeks after the first shot to get it. Heck now there's some recommendation you can mix the two vaccines....but I wouldn't
LuvsDawgs
You know what? I don't feel like making my relatives "gamble" with the time period after getting the first dose! Will they get it in time?? Is it 28 days or 60 days?? No...we were told incorrectly, now people have to start over?!?!
I'd rather them WAIT awhile until these people got their crap together and set up vaccine deliveries and vaccination schedules where there won't be ANY delays.
LakeOconeeDawg
Thanks Guys! Hopefully by the time their 2nd shot is due, it will be somewhat less confusing.

I agree Luvs.....they probably should have waited. They are in the high risk age group so they jumped at the first chance they got.
ssidedawg
LuvsDawgs said:

You know what? I don't feel like making my relatives "gamble" with the time period after getting the first dose! Will they get it in time?? Is it 28 days or 60 days?? No...we were told incorrectly, now people have to start over?!?!
I'd rather them WAIT awhile until these people got their crap together and set up vaccine deliveries and vaccination schedules where there won't be ANY delays.

No one has to start over. Heck, most people aren't even due for shot 2 yet. That's if you get it day 28.
ugalee
Two shots are better than one, and one shot is better than none. Just know that if you only have one shot, the efficacy rate is a good bit lower, so best to continue to behave in the same manner you did before the first shot until after the second, especially if you are high risk.

I'm not a doctor, but that is my understanding
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.