Kylin Hill won't play for MSU unless flag is changed

8,119 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by viperoy
RyanJordan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MSU and OM already stopped flying it in 2016.

JudgeLarryDawg
Hill, like Austin Powers, likes to live dangerously.

Bulldawg1
I am going in to work tomorrow, and telling the company our online software for clients has to be shifted. The main color is orange, which I am deeply offended by. When I log in, if I don't hear "Glory, Glory, Georgia", then I start to throw things bc of all the bad orange memories. And, if they don't change it, I am not standing for it. I will be forced to resign and sue for undue emotionl distress.
Klc71
Not quite the same thing...
Bulldawg1
shew, a lot of what is going on is not quite the same thing. Change the flag - doesn't bother me 1 way or the other. However, why did KH have no issue with the flag when he agreed to play at Miss State? Why is it now all of a sudden an issue to him? Has he, his parents, friends, group, etc ever raised an issue about it before?

champ1210
If i were MSU I would tell him See ya don't want to be ya.
CummingDawg22
Bulldawg1 said:

shew, a lot of what is going on is not quite the same thing. Change the flag - doesn't bother me 1 way or the other. However, why did KH have no issue with the flag when he agreed to play at Miss State? Why is it now all of a sudden an issue to him? Has he, his parents, friends, group, etc ever raised an issue about it before?

The answer you will get is something along the lines of its always been a thing but he's been scared to speak up.

That obviously doesn't hold up to any type of scrutiny, but that is the answer.
GoodDawg4733
It doesnt hold up to scrutiny, but remember "if you scrutinize you are a 'fill in the blank'..."
Bulldawg1
true. Nevermind that he is from Mississippi, he/his family have paid taxes there, and that he could have played for any number of colleges in a different state whose flag is not found offensive.
Also, nevermind, that he wants to use the school he plays for as to get a State Government to change a decision. I mean, look, it's not so much the what or the why - it's the how and the repercussions of that. But, is it only about the flag? what is next? A player says "I'm not going to play unless (person x) is removed from office? Or person X is hired, or something else in the state is changed, etc, etc. CD - you are the lawyer, but aren't there better ways?
yearofthedawg
Dating myself here...

John Wooden had a no facial hair rule at UCLA. One season All American Bill Walton showed up sporting a red mustache and beard. Walton said that since there were no laws against it then he was within his rights to wear his hair any way he wanted. Wooden's response:

"Bill, I respect people that stand up for their beliefs. We're gonna miss you."
CummingDawg22
Bulldawg1 said:

true. Nevermind that he is from Mississippi, he/his family have paid taxes there, and that he could have played for any number of colleges in a different state whose flag is not found offensive.
Also, nevermind, that he wants to use the school he plays for as to get a State Government to change a decision. I mean, look, it's not so much the what or the why - it's the how and the repercussions of that. But, is it only about the flag? what is next? A player says "I'm not going to play unless (person x) is removed from office? Or person X is hired, or something else in the state is changed, etc, etc. CD - you are the lawyer, but aren't there better ways?
You don't have to be a lawyer to know that the best way to stop the insanity is to stop caving to the demands of a very small minority.

Stop giving in to fake outrage. The majority of things we are doing the vast majority, and by vast majority i mean literally 99.99%, didn't have a problem with said statue, building name, flag, chant, etc until they were told to. Now its been a lifelong burden for them... They just didn't know it for the first 20+.

Honestly, removing the battle flag from the Mississippi state flag is one thing. I agree. Do it. Having a college athlete who chose to go to a school in MS, played there for multiple years with no complaints, that is now trying to hold the college hostage unless you meet his (obviously, new) demands is another. This is what happened at Clemson recently.

He also can still enter the transfer portal due to his newly decided problem. But he won't do that because thats not the point. Clearly the flag never deterred him from going to MSU or staying in MS.
ahurst344
I assume nothing offends you, correct? And you are in a position to decide what offends others?

Clearly if these kids were offended by the symbols they are fighting against now when they committed they wouldn't have committed. Whether they are truly offended or not is simply not for others to decide. They have a platform (given to them by us, the fans and alumni) and are choosing to use it.

I too am not a huge fan of "holding the school hostage," but how someone chooses to use their platform is for them to decide.
CummingDawg22
ahurst344 said:

I assume nothing offends you, correct? And you are in a position to decide what offends others?

Clearly if these kids were offended by the symbols they are fighting against now when they committed they wouldn't have committed. Whether they are truly offended or not is simply not for others to decide. They have a platform (given to them by us, the fans and alumni) and are choosing to use it.

I too am not a huge fan of "holding the school hostage," but how someone chooses to use their platform is for them to decide.

This is what I love.

Literally nothing I said was about that.

Let's use the current situation, and feel free to correct me where I am wrong or provide information I do not know.

Kylin HIll

• From Columbus Mississippi
  • 4 Star recruit with offers from Texas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State University, Memphis, Tennessee, Nebraska, Oregon State, and UAB according to ESPN.
  • Kylin Hill choose to stay in Mississippi and attend Mississippi State University.
  • Played 3 seasons at Mississippi State University.

Kylin Hill, has not to my knowledge, ever made any complaint about the state flag of Mississippi known before this.

IF Kylin Hill has been offended, feels oppressed, or whatever the case may be by the Mississippi State flag why did he:

• Stay to play football in the state of Mississippi and go to Mississippi State University;
  • Stay at Mississippi State University for 3 years; and
  • has not entered the transfer portal to leave the state (previously... not just now... this has been a problem right)?

So looks like it wan't a huge problem until.... now. Further, I can't believe I'm explaining this but Mississippi State University has nothing to do with the State's flag. So he is saying he will back out of his agreement with Mississippi State University over something (i) he knew going there, (ii) has known for the 3 years he's been there, and (iii) the school has no power over.

Interesting.

To answer your question though, no I have never made a decision to subject myself to something I was this deeply offended by. Considering I do have the choice, I've always chose not to. I wouldn't choose to move to China and then complain about communism.

If this were, for example, slavery in early America and he did not have any choice.... well that's completely different isn't it?

Again, facts and circumstances matter.
GoodDawg4733
yearofthedawg said:

Dating myself here...

John Wooden had a no facial hair rule at UCLA. One season All American Bill Walton showed up sporting a red mustache and beard. Walton said that since there were no laws against it then he was within his rights to wear his hair any way he wanted. Wooden's response:

"Bill, I respect people that stand up for their beliefs. We're gonna miss you."

Great documentary on HBO. Love coach Wooden
Jerrodjones
Wow it's sad by the sound of alot of these comments this the reason the usa is at the point it is today. Why keep alive the name of horrible people and a flag that represents hate.
CummingDawg22
Jerrodjones said:

Wow it's sad by the sound of alot of these comments this the reason the usa is at the point it is today. Why keep alive the name of horrible people and a flag that represents hate.
Not a single comment in this thread has advocated for that.

Mississippi State hasn't flow the flag for some time now. https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2016/08/30/report-state-flag-removed-mississippi-state-campus/89576800/

But - You're a good person and I'm sure you will get some stars!
Trackdawg073
I'm sympathetic to this argument, especially about the confederate stuff, but my question is where does it end? And what gives us the moral superiority to determine who in history was evil and who was good? In 200 years they will probably look back and think we were morally bankrupt. It has to end somewhere and while I think honoring the confederate leaders is probably wrong due to the fact they actually took up arms against this country, which I don't want to encourage,, at some point we need to just accept that our former leaders, faults and all, led us to where we are as a nation today, and if we can stand here on moral high ground and condemn the past, then some of that moral high ground is due to the foundation put in place by the leaders people are now rushing to condemn.

I specifically think of Thomas Jefferson, who is now being canceled. TJ was by no means perfect by today's standards, he owned slaves and lied and cheated his way through business. But he wrote the Declaration of Independence, which is the bedrock of civil rights and equality in this country, and we need to recognize that yes, he had his faults, but he also created a document that has driven us forward as a nation, and for that he should be honored. There are countless other leaders in our history who I could make the same argument for who are currently under fire from the mob.
CummingDawg22
Trackdawg073 said:

I'm sympathetic to this argument, especially about the confederate stuff, but my question is where does it end? And what gives us the moral superiority to determine who in history was evil and who was good? In 200 years they will probably look back and think we were morally bankrupt. It has to end somewhere and while I think honoring the confederate leaders is probably wrong due to the fact they actually took up arms against this country, which I don't want to encourage,, at some point we need to just accept that our former leaders, faults and all, led us to where we are as a nation today, and if we can stand here on moral high ground and condemn the past, then some of that moral high ground is due to the foundation put in place by the leaders people are now rushing to condemn.

I specifically think of Thomas Jefferson, who is now being canceled. TJ was by no means perfect by today's standards, he owned slaves and lied and cheated his way through business. But he wrote the Declaration of Independence, which is the bedrock of civil rights and equality in this country, and we need to recognize that yes, he had his faults, but he also created a document that has driven us forward as a nation, and for that he should be honored. There are countless other leaders in our history who I could make the same argument for who are currently under fire from the mob.
I just hope none of these really good people have gone to Europe and have any pictures with anything famous/well known.

All that was built by people who, by 2020 standards, are absolute menaces.

The real problem is no one wants to use consistent standards for anything.
Trackdawg073
Today's problem is we pretend that historical figures are black and white, when in reality they were human and most of them were really shades of gray. People today are the same way, varying shades of gray. Rarely I'm history do we find figure who are wholly good or wholly evil. Obviously we should not honor evil historical figure like the Nazis and instead should condemn it, but rarely in history are cases that simple, because rarely are human beings that simple. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just saying 90% of the time it's more complicated.
hecole74
You and I have the moral authority to say slavery was and is evil. As for the flag i'm not from Mississippi so my take is purely an outsiders view, but for me the flag is a symbol of treason plain and simple. Our country is at a cross roads and I think we should be looking for ways to unite not further divide ourselves, this flag is a symbol of division. Sorry for the diatribe these are just my thoughts.
Trackdawg073
I already said I am sympathetic to the confederacy arguments. Obviously slavery as an institution was evil. But unfortunately, slavery has been around on every continent and every major civilization for thousands of years and is in fact still around in terms of sex slaves and human trafficking. So what do we just never talk about or honor anyone ever, including today, because they lived in a society that tolerated slavery? It has to end somewhere. And you talk about wanting to unite but I'm sorry if the Declaration of Independence doesn't unite us then I don't know what will, and canceling out the writer of the document because he was an imperfect man living in an imperfect time, just like we all are today, ain't gonna do it.
Jerrodjones
I dont have to say nothing for stars. If u feel people are going to far protesting about buildings and names that are still being glorified that's on you. I have seen u complain about these black athletes that are making stands for a couple of weeks. You is what you is bro.
CummingDawg22
Jerrodjones said:

I dont have to say nothing for stars. If u feel people are going to far protesting about buildings and names that are still being glorified that's on you. I have seen u complain about these black athletes that are making stands for a couple of weeks. You is what you is bro.
You can literally read anything I've wrote and and for the 100 time, I don't care about the names on buildings or the statues. Been very consistent there.

I'd love for you to show me where I've been complaining about "these black athletes." I haven't "complained" about any of them. I know Its unbelievable anyone could call into question how serious of an issue any of the things recently discussed actually are. Or why they just now became an issue?

I know I is what I is - a racist obviously. Textbook move here.

Let's just ignore everything and jump to race!

You got me!

Would you care to discuss this particular issue? Want to respond to my actual post about? I'm sure you don't, but I'll post it again so you can see it ----

Let's use the current situation, and feel free to correct me where I am wrong or provide information I do not know.

Kylin HIll

• From Columbus Mississippi
  • 4 Star recruit with offers from Texas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State University, Memphis, Tennessee, Nebraska, Oregon State, and UAB according to ESPN.
  • Kylin Hill choose to stay in Mississippi and attend Mississippi State University.
  • Played 3 seasons at Mississippi State University.

Kylin Hill, has not to my knowledge, ever made any complaint about the state flag of Mississippi known before this.

IF Kylin Hill has been offended, feels oppressed, or whatever the case may be by the Mississippi State flag why did he:

• Stay to play football in the state of Mississippi and go to Mississippi State University;
  • Stay at Mississippi State University for 3 years; and
  • has not entered the transfer portal to leave the state (previously... not just now... this has been a problem right)?

So looks like it wan't a huge problem until.... now. Further, I can't believe I'm explaining this but Mississippi State University has nothing to do with the State's flag. So he is saying he will back out of his agreement with Mississippi State University over something (i) he knew going there, (ii) has known for the 3 years he's been there, and (iii) the school has no power over.

Interesting.

To answer your question though, no I have never made a decision to subject myself to something I was this deeply offended by. Considering I do have the choice, I've always chose not to. I wouldn't choose to move to China and then complain about communism.

If this were, for example, slavery in early America and he did not have any choice.... well that's completely different isn't it?

Again, facts and circumstances matter.
Jerrodjones
Never called you a racist.
CummingDawg22
Jerrodjones said:

Never called you a racist.
Correct. Just heavily implied.

Your post had factually incorrect statements about my posts. But whatever!!

But lets not back away from this.

What am I then? I keep complaining about black athletes and "you is what you is bro."

Just a bad person?
Jerrodjones
Lol no brother but I do feel you think black athletes need to shut up and entertain you.
CummingDawg22
Jerrodjones said:

Lol no brother but I do feel you think black athletes need to shut up and entertain you.
1) Care to add any context to that? It's patently not true and no way you could support that with anything I've posted.

2) That is textbook racism... Like are you serious?

I'll be waiting for more response.
Jerrodjones
Look I'm on here to talk about my Georgia Bulldogs but I love that these black and white athletes and young black and white Americans are together and try to tear each racist person name out the history books page by page and brick by brick.
CummingDawg22
Jerrodjones said:

Look I'm on here to talk about my Georgia Bulldogs but I love that these black and white athletes and young black and white Americans are together and try to tear each racist person name out the history books page by page and brick by brick.
Whatever man. You attempted to accuse me of a pretty heinous thing like a complete ******* on totally unfounded, made up in your mind stuff.

You're part of the problem.

StalkinDawg
So we judge people of antiquity by today's standards? 200 years from now will we be judged as harshly?
I'm too ugly or something
hecole74
I'm not for canceling anyone but I will say my argument was about the confederate flag not the American one nor the Declaration of Independence. That flag has nothing to do with that founding document. The followers of that flag committed treason and shouldn't be celebrated with monuments on public property. If their ancestors want to celebrate them then they should do so on their homes and property.
CummingDawg22
hecole74 said:

I'm not for canceling anyone but I will say my argument was about the confederate flag not the American one nor the Declaration of Independence. That flag has nothing to do with that founding document. The followers of that flag committed treason and shouldn't be celebrated with monuments on public property. If their ancestors want to celebrate them then they should do so on their homes and property.
Which again, no one in this thread is backing the battle flag.
Jerrodjones
U have a problem about everything being brought up look at everything that's been post and your replies your have a right to your opinion just like k. Hill
CummingDawg22
Jerrodjones said:

U have a problem about everything being brought up look at everything that's been post and your replies your have a right to your opinion just like k. Hill
Nothing I've posted has had to do with complaining about "black athletes." I've brought race into it zero times.

You did that.

My posts don't ever bring any race into it. Sorry this isn't fitting your dumbass narrative.

There is a reason you have totally ignored the actual topic that was being discussed.
hecole74
Cool man appreciate the civil conversation.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.