Los Angeles Mayor: "would be very difficult to see" MLB/NBA/NFL until 2021

4,455 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CummingDawg22
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-15/coronavirus-concerts-sporting-events-2021-garcetti

Mayor Eric Garcetti: "large gatherings such as concerts and sporting events may not be approved in the city for at least 1 year."

JudgeLarryDawg
Why does it seem that some elected officials almost seem to want this pandemic to last and last?
HunkerDownDawgs
JudgeLarryDawg said:

Why does it seem that some elected officials almost seem to want this pandemic to last and last?
This comment will get this thread moved to the Back Porch, but it boils down to politics. Democrats want this to linger as long as possible and for Americans to be miserable and frustrated as a result so they vote for change when they head to the polls later this year. As the saying goes, "never let a good crisis go to waste", and they are seizing the opportunity to push their agenda and won't stop until the public pushes back and demands that things begin to normalize (knowing that it would be less damaging to the country as a whole for the small % of Americans that are at a higher risk to the virus go into isolation instead of the whole country doing so on their behalf). Staying at home was the right thing to do until we learned more about the virus, how it is spread, who is at risk and the curves began to come down, but once it is reasonably safe for most Americans to begin a rolling restart of the economy and return to some version of the "new normal", we should do so IMHO.

I live here in LA and have the "pleasure" of listening to people like Governor Newsome and Mayor Garcetti do their daily press conferences and they, along with the media and other Democratic leaders, seem to keep moving the goalposts on what must be required in order to lift their stay at home and social distancing orders, and each time they talk the requirement seems to become harder to meet. What was once described as a need to stay at home in order to "flatten the curve" has now grown into a much more difficult requirement that includes everyone being tested for Cornavirus (or antibodies to it), a fool proof method for contact tracing being in place and all hospitals being ready for any future version of a similar world wide pandemic. Next up will be a requirement that a cure for Coronavirus be in hand, followed by all social and economic inequalities having been addressed so the less fortunate are not at a higher risk for things like this going forward.

Having said all of that, it will be interesting to see if they stick to their guns once all of the other states begin to return to work and sports begin to resume elsewhere and places like CA, NY, MI, IL and others are missing out on tax revenue and voter satisfaction begins to turn against them.
PurpleBrave
It's a fair comment but he doesn't know. Anyone talking about what will happen in the fall is throwing a dart.
hmwood
Much much much much more likely that there will be MLB and Football than not in the next few months. If LA doesn't want to participate so be it.
gemdog
If there are still risks of picking up a contagin and getting deathly ill -- who's going to sign off on getting back out there?

--it's one thing to say its just losers & politcal BS that's keeping us from seeing football. Its another thing to okay putting 90,000 people in a stadium (or 20,000 sitting apart from one another), knowing that if 10 have it going in, 1,000's will have it going out.

Imagine this scenario:

Cade Mays dad comes back to Athens to watch his son, he gets covid-19 and because he's finger compromised his risks of serious illness/death are heightened -- he sues UGA again.... I'm sure UGA people are weighing possible consequences.

hmwood
You are not shutting sports, schools, and the economy down until a safe vaccine is available next July or August that's not sustainable, it just isn't.
HunkerDownDawgs
I love your new term, "finger compromised". Very funny!
Dean Legge
Staff
hmwood said:

You are not shutting sports, schools, and the economy down until a safe vaccine is available next July or August that's not sustainable, it just isn't.

I don't think it is.

Again, that means we are in a depression, and things are far, far worse than we think right now.
ssidedawg
JudgeLarryDawg said:

Because it is lasting......
ssidedawg
HunkerDownDawgs said:

JudgeLarryDawg said:

This comment will get this thread moved to the Back Porch, but it boils down to politics. Democrats want this to linger as long as possible and for Americans to be miserable and frustrated as a result so they vote for change when they head to the polls later this year. As the saying goes, "never let a good crisis go to waste", and they are seizing the opportunity to push their agenda and won't stop until the public pushes back and demands that things begin to normalize (knowing that it would be less damaging to the country as a whole for the small % of Americans that are at a higher risk to the virus go into isolation instead of the whole country doing so on their behalf). Staying at home was the right thing to do until we learned more about the virus, how it is spread, who is at risk and the curves began to come down, but once it is reasonably safe for most Americans to begin a rolling restart of the economy and return to some version of the "new normal", we should do so IMHO.

I live here in LA and have the "pleasure" of listening to people like Governor Newsome and Mayor Garcetti do their daily press conferences and they, along with the media and other Democratic leaders, seem to keep moving the goalposts on what must be required in order to lift their stay at home and social distancing orders, and each time they talk the requirement seems to become harder to meet. What was once described as a need to stay at home in order to "flatten the curve" has now grown into a much more difficult requirement that includes everyone being tested for Cornavirus (or antibodies to it), a fool proof method for contact tracing being in place and all hospitals being ready for any future version of a similar world wide pandemic. Next up will be a requirement that a cure for Coronavirus be in hand, followed by all social and economic inequalities having been addressed so the less fortunate are not at a higher risk for things like this going forward.

Having said all of that, it will be interesting to see if they stick to their guns once all of the other states begin to return to work and sports begin to resume elsewhere and places like CA, NY, MI, IL and others are missing out on tax revenue and voter satisfaction begins to turn against them.
The Democrats? LOL.
ssidedawg
Getting the economy back and having sporting events are separate items.

We can get back to some sort of economic normalcy without football. Yeah....its true. Now those specific athletic economies may suffer, but plumbers, bankers, lawyers, carpenters, etc can work while sports wait.

As its been said here, putting 100,000 people in close proximity for pleasure is absurd right now. Also, sports is a bloated business. Do we really care some guy cant get $25M a year for throwing a baseball every 5 days? The endorsements will shrivel and maybe they should? Thats another discussion.

And this pandemic isn't "political". Good grief.
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

We can get back to some sort of economic normalcy without football. Yeah....its true. Now those specific athletic economies may suffer, but plumbers, bankers, lawyers, carpenters, etc can work while sports wait.

As its been said here, putting 100,000 people in close proximity for pleasure is absurd right now. Also, sports is a bloated business. Do we really care some guy cant get $25M a year for throwing a baseball every 5 days? The endorsements will shrivel and maybe they should? Thats another discussion.

Explain this for me.

We can't have people going to football games because of the number of people around each other, right?

Can we use the NYC subway? DC Metro? Chciago L?

How can you have a "some sort" of normal economy when the means of transportation that the majority of workers use is FAR more dangerous than a football stadium.

Further, how can a person go to work in a high rise? You are around thousands of people and surfaces those people have touched just by being at work. That doesn't even include if you go out to lunch, etc.

Also, if you don't think there is a political aspect in this... I don't know man. Just watch any news channel. It is highly politicized by both sides.
gemdog
..I don't know, we are all sports fans, and are all UGA football fans.

But I can see a big difference. 90,000 people spending a saturday partially drunk singing the national anthem in unison, screaming and cheering next to one another for two hours - breathing all over each other, seems a little different than quietly riding a subway for 20m while probably wearing a mask to get to your job.....
ssidedawg
gemdog said:

But I can see a big difference. 90,000 people spending a saturday partially drunk singing the national anthem in unison, screaming and cheering next to one another for two hours - breathing all over each other, seems a little different than quietly riding a subway for 20m while probably wearing a mask to get to your job.....
Agree.
ssidedawg
CummingDawg22 said:

ssidedawg said:

Explain this for me.

We can't have people going to football games because of the number of people around each other, right?

How can you have a "some sort" of normal economy when the means of transportation that the majority of workers use is FAR more dangerous than a football stadium.

Further, how can a person go to work in a high rise? You are around thousands of people and surfaces those people have touched just by being at work. That doesn't even include if you go out to lunch, etc.

Also, if you don't think there is a political aspect in this... I don't know man. Just watch any news channel. It is highly politicized by both sides.
Social distancing rules will be in full effect moving forward. Public transportation and workplaces can far more easily accomplish a safer environment than a stadium where you cant get a business card between folks because they are packed in tight.

Also, its about risk reduction. Surely you dont equate working a job to watching s football game as equal needs. Do you? I know you love to troll rabbit holes but thats absurd to compare.

Everything is politicized for sure, but to think the disease is controllable by a political party is weird.
cantonk9
Question - What's the risk?

Answer - Nobody knows yet

What we do know is the assumptions used to model this pandemic and help drive policy domestically weren't accurate.

Every day more data rolls in and we become smarter. Suffice it to say 30 days is an eternity in this environment and I believe the trends are in our favor...

CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

CummingDawg22 said:

ssidedawg said:

Explain this for me.

Social distancing rules will be in full effect moving forward. Public transportation and workplaces can far more easily accomplish a safer environment than a stadium where you cant get a business card between folks because they are packed in tight.

Also, its about risk reduction. Surely you dont equate working a job to watching s football game as equal needs. Do you? I know you love to troll rabbit holes but thats absurd to compare.

Everything is politicized for sure, but to think the disease is controllable by a political party is weird.
Serious question, have you ever lived in a major city in which public transit is the primary source of transportation? It sounds like you have not. There is no possible way to have "social distancing" during rush hour on any of those.

As for the troll stuff, dude its getting tiring. You constantly post absolute bull**** that is factually wrong. That doesn't even account for the stuff like the first part of your post which is just idiotic.

You and your odd superiority complex that you are right about everything (you know marketing, healthcare, etc, etc) are really played out. You never add anything to a conversation or even try to add. I never "equated" working to football. I asked about the safety of both... the virus doesn't care about where you are. It makes no sense that mass public transit, used by millions more Americans, is safe, but attending football games is not. I asked to explain that... you did it with "social distancing" which is just ridiculous.

CummingDawg22
gemdog said:

It is different.

One happens everyday with many more people doing it.

The idea that everyone on the subway will be to themselves, wearing masks, and gloves is unrealistic.

All 90,000 people at Sanford don't go cough in each others face last I checked either.

Here is an article with people who ride the subway everyday currently - https://brooklyneagle.com/articles/2020/04/14/a-conundrum-for-new-yorkers-social-distancing-in-the-subway/

"Ridership on the subways Monday was down 92% compared to a normal weekday."

-- So this seems to be a problem now, with only 8% riding.

Here is an article about MTA -
https://ny.curbed.com/2020/3/24/21192454/coronavirus-nyc-transportation-subway-citi-bike-covid-19
cantonk9
How are we can going to cram 100's of thousands of people into planes every day if we can't get folks into an open-air stadium?

Mass transit & social distancing are physically and economically incompatible.

Point to CD22
Mbmdawg
Keep in mind if he was talking about a republican governor Dean and the staff would've immediately told somebody to leave politics out of it lol.
ssidedawg
CummingDawg22 said:

ssidedawg said:

CummingDawg22 said:

ssidedawg said:

Explain this for me.

Serious question, have you ever lived in a major city in which public transit is the primary source of transportation? It sounds like you have not. There is no possible way to have "social distancing" during rush hour on any of those.

As for the troll stuff, dude its getting tiring. You constantly post absolute bull**** that is factually wrong. That doesn't even account for the stuff like the first part of your post which is just idiotic.

You and your odd superiority complex that you are right about everything (you know marketing, healthcare, etc, etc) are really played out. You never add anything to a conversation or even try to add. I never "equated" working to football. I asked about the safety of both... the virus doesn't care about where you are. It makes no sense that mass public transit, used by millions more Americans, is safe, but attending football games is not. I asked to explain that... you did it with "social distancing" which is just ridiculous.

Can you watch your job on TV from the couch?

Can you watch football from your couch?

End of discussion. Its about risk REDUCTION not elimination. We need to work, eat and pay bills. We dont need to go to a stadium. Riding a subway to go to work isn't in the same solar system as sitting through UGA v Auburn.

I have added a LOT of real stuff to this convo. You are purposefully contrary. Thats trolling. I post opinions and some facts. You tell all of us your opinions are facts. If you are wrong you wear people down with this type argument. Still doesnt make it fact.....

You telling me I have a superiority complex is rich! I mean, irony much?

ssidedawg
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1909332-inside-the-mind-of-a-college-football-message-board-troll
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1909332-inside-the-mind-of-a-college-football-message-board-troll
Super old news dude. You should also read the article.. it is also about football recruiting...

Anyone on the board has read that. It's also from 7 years ago...
CummingDawg22
ssidedawg said:

CummingDawg22 said:

ssidedawg said:

CummingDawg22 said:

ssidedawg said:

Explain this for me.

Can you watch your job on TV from the couch?

Can you watch football from your couch?

End of discussion. Its about risk REDUCTION not elimination. We need to work, eat and pay bills. We dont need to go to a stadium. Riding a subway to go to work isn't in the same solar system as sitting through UGA v Auburn.

I have added a LOT of real stuff to this convo. You are purposefully contrary. Thats trolling. I post opinions and some facts. You tell all of us your opinions are facts. If you are wrong you wear people down with this type argument. Still doesnt make it fact.....

You telling me I have a superiority complex is rich! I mean, irony much?

How is that end of discussion?

You didn't address safety at all. You didn't address how you reduce anything on any mass transit.

Riding the subway to go to work ups the risk of spread way more than Georgia Auburn. The fact you don't think so is comical and really shows you have no idea. I honestly have no idea how you can't understand that.

You posted no factual information about how football games are less safe than mass transit.

The claim is so ridiculous. The number of people using the subway system in NYC is such a multiple of a singular football game its laughable to compare the two.

I know you are soooo smart, but you used irony incorrectly... Yikes. I didn't mean the opposite of what I said. I meant you have a superiority complex and it shows, a lot. Its kind of sad really.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.