OT: Anyone found a new hobby?

4,490 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by gunter2011
RyanJordan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've never cooked so much in my life. Always liked to grill, but I'm digging the entire cooking thing now. The entire process from conceptualizing what to make through eating passes the time and gives me an odd sense of accomplishment at the and.

I'm no longer an onion and garlic powder user. I figured out that I own a cutting board lol.
DawgFactor21
Competitive clogging. I've been killing the competition (two dogs).

Working out more.
Gasdawg
Not necessarily a hobby, but I'm getting the hang of this homeschooling thing. Actually starting to enjoy it. Totally renewed respect for the pros, however.
RyanJordan
Gasdawg said:

Not necessarily a hobby, but I'm getting the hang of this homeschooling thing. Actually starting to enjoy it. Totally renewed respect for the pros, however.

Teacher's are incredible.
xJunkYardDawGx
RyanJordan said:

I've never cooked so much in my life. Always liked to grill, but I'm digging the entire cooking thing now. The entire process from conceptualizing what to make through eating passes the time and gives me an odd sense of accomplishment at the and.

I'm no longer an onion and garlic powder user. I figured out that I own a cutting board lol.
Ryan I love cooking, really give you a sense of accomplishment too when the final product turns out great!
GoodDawg4733
RyanJordan said:

This pretty much for me too. I've made **** I didn't even know I would like
RyanJordan
GoodDawg4733 said:

RyanJordan said:

This pretty much for me too. I've made **** I didn't even know I would like

Same here. With no sports I've been browsing recipes and come up with all kinds of things to try.
Gasdawg
Try SuperCook.com. You list what ingredients you have on hand and it creates a recipe for you. May come in handy when when you find yourself staring a little too long at Fido's gravy train. (or Fido, himself)
Firebrand
Trying out new workouts since I can't powerlift. Been using kettlebells and doing hill sprints.

Looking at adding yoga to help with mobility.
Bulldawg1
Loads of cooking, but I've always enjoyed that...just haven't been able to do as much.

Also a part of a workout group - we do daily workouts.and keep each other accountable - stuff you can do at home even if you don't have a gym. And yes, if you're not used to some of these things, these workouts are killer. Wall walks on a 3rd set in an AMRAP battle against yourself - if you dont cuss you might start when doing those suckers.

Let me know if anyone wants to join or post daily workouts. We are just a wide range of men and women having fun and pushing each other.
ssidedawg
I have always done all the cooking and love it.

I am doing some baking now as I usually dont have time and it takes a lot more patience and practice.

I also have no excuse for not finishing that ever growing to-do list. I used to be able to push stuff off because "I was too busy". lol
champ1210
RyanJordan said:

Gasdawg said:

I am married to the best looking teacher and she is incredible.
champ1210
ssidedawg said:

I have always done all the cooking and love it.

I am doing some baking now as I usually dont have time and it takes a lot more patience and practice.

I also have no excuse for not finishing that ever growing to-do list. I used to be able to push stuff off because "I was too busy". lol

Aww. A regular Suzy Homemaker. Kinda thought you leaned that way.
HomeGrown82
For me working my tail off. 60 days from now could look incredibly bad for me economically. I got to work while I still have some.
BirdDawg
champ1210 said:

RyanJordan said:

Gasdawg said:

Going to have to disagree with you here...I married the best looking teacher

But for real
Bulldawg1
BirdDawg said:

champ1210 said:

RyanJordan said:

Gasdawg said:

Going to have to disagree with you here...I married the best looking teacher

But for real

Shew, I married the most beautiful teacher!
Dirteater Dawg
HomeGrown82 said:

For me working my tail off. 60 days from now could look incredibly bad for me economically. I got to work while I still have some.
I am in the same boat as you HG. I have been working 90 hour weeks for 3 straight weeks. Everyone else's house and yard is going to be looking incredible while mine will be one of the worst.
Dirteater Dawg
Also, all you guys are wrong. My wife is the hottest teacher. I do not envy her position of teaching her students from home while ensuring my kindergartener does his work and my 4 year old doesn't interrupt the other two. Rock Star!
ColonialDawg
No new hobbies here. I'm still going to work. I too love to cook, though. Last night I made Pasta e ***ioli and Rosemary Focaccia. Delicioso.
ColonialDawg
ColonialDawg said:

No new hobbies here. I'm still going to work. I too love to cook, though. Last night I made Pasta e ***ioli and Rosemary Focaccia. Delicioso.

Seriously? F a gioli was bleeped?
Lamar
Not really a hobby but I had two Toro mulching mowers that wouldn't start and I spent some time swapping parts between the two to get one running. Never really been much of a mechanic so that was an accomplishment in and of itself for me. I wound up with several screws left over that for the life of me I can't figure out where they were supposed to go. Reminds me of my Santa Claus days and refusing to read the instructions while assembling stuff.

I have been enjoying doing more of some things I've always enjoyed that are hobbies I suppose like hunting and fishing. I ordered a new Mathews bow and have been getting familiar with it and practicing from ground blinds and elevated stands.

I've considered trying to find Bigfoot like some of those folks with the TV shows try and do but until I'm sure of just what I would do with him should I be successful, I've put that on the back burner.

Piggskinn
I have declared war on carpenter bees. It has become a hobby, just killing them off, over here. Built a new covered patio w cedar posts and beams, which they don't go after much, but the t&g pine ceiling must be heaven to them. I'm trying to get it all patched and stained up to keep them away. Hate is not a big enough word.
Gasdawg
Badminton racquet + carpenter bees = a good hour of entertainment
champ1210
Lamar said:

Not really a hobby but I had two Toro mulching mowers that wouldn't start and I spent some time swapping parts between the two to get one running. Never really been much of a mechanic so that was an accomplishment in and of itself for me. I wound up with several screws left over that for the life of me I can't figure out where they were supposed to go. Reminds me of my Santa Claus days and refusing to read the instructions while assembling stuff.

I have been enjoying doing more of some things I've always enjoyed that are hobbies I suppose like hunting and fishing. I ordered a new Mathews bow and have been getting familiar with it and practicing from ground blinds and elevated stands.

I've considered trying to find Bigfoot like some of those folks with the TV shows try and do but until I'm sure of just what I would do with him should I be successful, I've put that on the back burner.

If you find him his real name is Darrell.

Heath Mills
Right there with you on the cooking. I can actually make something close to a full meal now and it's at least edible.

Also, my house is the cleanest it has ever been. Ever.
Chuckwagon
Wok Wednesdays!
HomeGrown82
Dirteater Dawg said:

HomeGrown82 said:

I am in the same boat as you HG. I have been working 90 hour weeks for 3 straight weeks. Everyone else's house and yard is going to be looking incredible while mine will be one of the worst.

The most frustrating part of this to me is all the money coming out of Washington is for the immediate or the next couple of months. When everybody is hunkey dorey you and I will be sitting there saying why not bail us out???

I try not to dismiss the health concerns with this but many are completely ignoring the economic concerns of this as well.
Gasdawg
Go ahead and apply anyway. If you don't need the money down the road, you can turn down the loan. But you'll have it if you need it.
HomeGrown82
Gasdawg said:

Go ahead and apply anyway. If you don't need the money down the road, you can turn down the loan. But you'll have it if you need it.
already have. Who's going to get it? I don't have a compelling story. Applied to have it 3Q-4Q. Would be an idiot not to. I don't mean to sound jaded, just feels like the world I live in right now.
EverestDawg
FOR THE COOKS - i bought an electric knife sharpener that resharpens to 15 degrees and can tune up whenever needed. it does an hour's work in 8 minutes. a sharp knife is MUCH safer than a dull one.
gunter2011
Gotten really into building/woodworking and smoking bbq. Actually made my own bbq sauce. Just trying to past time day in and day out
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.