Somto Update

662 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Monkdawg
BallDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I do not mean to spread concern, or act as if I know more than I claim, I just am relaying what I saw. I wanted to post to the 247 board but you need a membership to even post to the non-VIP board which was frustrating. I was scrolling on social media when I saw a post from the OTE Account (Overtime Elite), the atlanta based league Somto is currently in, and it was discussing Somto's future. The post was from a podcast, and a dude who was being interviewed, who I do not know if he is a family member, a employee of the league, someone in his camp, but regardless someone close enough to him to talk about this and be in his ear most likely, was pushing Somto to go to the NBA draft. Now obviously this could be for clicks, and he is without a doubt not ready yet or would not be drafted, but I am curious to what people in his camp are telling him. I have read and heard a lot about him, and it seems to be that he will end up here, but things like that are concerning. It would be a huge blow to not get him.
Monkdawg
NBA would be a mistake for Cyril. I've watched video of him, and the only offensive move I've seen in all the video is a dunk. That doesn't cut it in today's NBA. Athletic 6'10" guys are a dime a dozen. The question is what are their skills. Can he hit an outside shot? Can he dribble and pass? Can he make a FT? I haven't seen any evidence of any of these skills in his videos. Maybe he can, but I suspect he has limitations. Why would an NBA team take a flyer on a kid ranked about #50 in his class? I don't see it at all.... If he wants any kind of career, he needs to go to college and work on his skills.... He is very raw.
Nostradawgus
My cynical side would say everything right now is about $$$ - UGA just has to make it worth everyone's while in that camp to earn at UGA for a year or two. All public talk is negotiations.
Monkdawg
Nostradawgus said:

My cynical side would say everything right now is about $$$ - UGA just has to make it worth everyone's while in that camp to earn at UGA for a year or two. All public talk is negotiations.
I agree. I think it's all about working out the right deal. But let's think - how many 6'10" centers do you see in the NBA? How many purely low post guys are there anymore? None, really.
BallDawg
Well he just released his top 5. Us, GT, Arkansas, Kentucky and the NBA draft. 8 pm tonight we will know. Really not feeling good about it anymore, I have a bad feeling that he might be headed to the draft, which I would think is the wrong thing for him and his career. I hope he comes here, and I hope there is a late night push today for Somto. Really nervous and I just guess we will have to wait for tonight. I think the people in his camp are very money driven, which is the reality nowadays, but let's ride CMW.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

Well he just released his top 5. Us, GT, Arkansas, Kentucky and the NBA draft. 8 pm tonight we will know. Really not feeling good about it anymore, I have a bad feeling that he might be headed to the draft, which I would think is the wrong thing for him and his career. I hope he comes here, and I hope there is a late night push today for Somto. Really nervous and I just guess we will have to wait for tonight. I think the people in his camp are very money driven, which is the reality nowadays, but let's ride CMW.
I seriously doubt he would get drafted....
Nostradawgus
lol the addition of draft in his Top 5 is modern day recruiting speak for "send your best final offer."

dawg212003
UgaBoz53
dawg212003 said:

yes but the draft also
ATLSTNMTN53DAWG
Monkdawg
UgaBoz53 said:

dawg212003 said:

yes but the draft also
He won't get drafted. He's nowhere near ready for the NBA. Very raw.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.