Well, Melendez in the portal....

433 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Monkdawg
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's disappointing but not surprising the way his minutes went late in the year. Very strange....
BallDawg
That sucks, while the minutes fluctuated and how he was used was confusing, we definitely are not in a position to be losing any quality scholarship players or wings for that batter. I thought he was better probably more so than he actually is but this is a tough loss. Wonder if this was a personal choice or a "clear house" kind of decision from Mike White, but entering the portal this late I don't think that's the case.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

That sucks, while the minutes fluctuated and how he was used was confusing, we definitely are not in a position to be losing any quality scholarship players or wings for that batter. I thought he was better probably more so than he actually is but this is a tough loss. Wonder if this was a personal choice or a "clear house" kind of decision from Mike White, but entering the portal this late I don't think that's the case.
Melendez is a solid player, but he's not "all that". He's athletic and a decent defender and driver of the ball, but his shot is very inconsistent. I would have preferred he stayed because of his experience, but this will be his second transfer. At some point, a kid has to look in the mirror and say that much of the fault is with himself, if he is unable to excel to the level he had hoped. He's no superstar, and he is replaceable....
BallDawg
I agree. I think with him its lack of confidence in himself. I think that's also why he's going to commit to West Virginia because they just hired the Illinois assistant coach that recruited him out of high school and will probably make him confident to try and take a bigger role as a senior. His form and shot looked good, very technically and mechanically smooth, which is what makes it feel like a confidence thing, and having your minutes pulled or fluctuate does not help that.
UgaBoz53
right now its a struggle
mike white needs a splash
ATLSTNMTN53DAWG
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

I agree. I think with him its lack of confidence in himself. I think that's also why he's going to commit to West Virginia because they just hired the Illinois assistant coach that recruited him out of high school and will probably make him confident to try and take a bigger role as a senior. His form and shot looked good, very technically and mechanically smooth, which is what makes it feel like a confidence thing, and having your minutes pulled or fluctuate does not help that.
Yeah, his shot looks good from a mechanics standpoint. I don't see much wrong, other than maybe he rushes his shot on occasion. I don't know whether he has a confidence problem or not. He seemed to keep firing away, even when he was missing, particularly early in the season. There is a lot to like about Melendez, but we have to replace him now. I don't recall seeing many swing/SF guys on our list of interests. I see mostly guards and posts, both of which we also need. I really could not explain his decrease in minutes late in the year.
Monkdawg
UgaBoz53 said:

right now its a struggle
mike white needs a splash
There are around 1700 kids in the portal. Still plenty of good players out there....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.