Well, Juice Holt in the portal....

1,322 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Monkdawg
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think this is a good thing. Holt's minutes were about to go waaay down. Opens another spot. I hear that R.J. Sunahara, who visited last week, canceled a visit he had set for WVA, so that might be a sign. I really want another guard though. Position is really thin....
Nostradawgus
Wow. Just don't see the need or the fit here. At all. Unless we got another transfer out coming . . . .

We need guards, not grad transfer forwards.
Monkdawg
Completely agree. You and I are on the same page. Honestly, I've been looking for film on Sunahara and can't really find any, so I really have no feel for his game, but I know he ain't a guard, and we need another guard.
Monkdawg
I just watched a half of highlights. Sunahara is not - NOT - a shooter, at least not in this game. He's an OK athlete at the D-2 level, but he's nothing special in the SEC. I saw him badly miss a wide open 3 (the only perimeter shot he took) and a FT. He just doesn't do it for me. Give me a guard....
DenmarkDane
So how is it that Holt is able to enter the portal and become immediately eligible, even after already transferring from Alabama. Will he have to apply for a waiver first?
Monkdawg
I wondered the same thing myself. I thought limitations on transfers had been added by the NCAA this year. I thought players got 1 free transfer unless they had graduated or they had to sit out 1 year. I doubt Holt has graduated after 2 years. Maybe there are exceptions I haven't heard about. I'm not sure.
Monkdawg
Nostradawgus said:

Wow. Just don't see the need or the fit here. At all. Unless we got another transfer out coming . . . .

We need guards, not grad transfer forwards.
I had another thought. After watching film, Sunahara is primarily a PF - a post player. Do we really want another PF taking minutes away from Deloach and James and clogging up the middle for Tchewa? Not me.... We NEED another guard. We have 4 guards. Any injury in the backcourt will kill us.
dawglegright
Devion Smith still an option?
StevieBuckets
Monkdawg said:

I think this is a good thing. Holt's minutes were about to go waaay down. Opens another spot. I hear that R.J. Sunahara, who visited last week, canceled a visit he had set for WVA, so that might be a sign. I really want another guard though. Position is really thin....
I don't think this loss hurts much from a win-loss perspective (though Sunahara seems unlikely to be a huge upgrade), but I like how Juice plays, and I was excited to watch him grow over the next few years.

I am very pro-transfer portal, and I'm glad it has returned some of the power to the players' hands. I do hope the sport achieves some balance, though. I miss seeing players grow and mature within the organization, even those who never become stars.
Monkdawg
StevieBuckets said:

Monkdawg said:

I don't think this loss hurts much from a win-loss perspective (though Sunahara seems unlikely to be a huge upgrade), but I like how Juice plays, and I was excited to watch him grow over the next few years.

I am very pro-transfer portal, and I'm glad it has returned some of the power to the players' hands. I do hope the sport achieves some balance, though. I miss seeing players grow and mature within the organization, even those who never become stars.
I like the portal, too. I want us to be one of those programs where people come and stay and we just cherry-pick a player from the portal here and there. The portal lets kids, who were sold a bill of goods or who just got it wrong in choosing their initial school, get it right. I'm not a big fan of a kid going somewhere and being coached up and improving, then skipping out on their team and coach. But if coaches can leave, so should players.

I communicated to a buddy who is a Div.1 coach at a lower level than UGA about Holt and he said, "We have no interest." LOL Holt is just limited in what he brings to the table. His minutes were about to be drastically cut. He saw the writing on the wall. But I agree with you on Sunahara. I don't see a role for him. You don't play him over Deloach or James and he's not a 3. so not over Melendez, Jabri or Mari, either. I was hoping we wouldn't fill that spot with a practice dummy. I'm sure he's a great kid, but where does he fit?
dawglegright
I read where Georgia Southern and Kennesaw State were likely destinations.
Monkdawg
dawglegright said:

I read where Georgia Southern and Kennesaw State were likely destinations.
I can see that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.