Listened to an interesting podcast yesterday

1,281 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Monkdawg
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
with 247 basketball talent evaluator Adam Finkelstein. He has some interesting things to say about some of our incoming players. He thinks Demary, while more of a combo now, has the potential to develop into the prototype lead guard. He likes Cain's overall game, said he is a "baller" that just knows how to play. He said James can really shoot. And he likes the potential of Jordan - has a college body right now, just has to develop. He said these guys are nothing compared to what they will be in a couple of years. Just gotta keep them together and in the program. He also said Thomasson is very left hand dominant; will be interesting to see whether he can adapt to SEC defenses. Wheeler is very left hand dominant as well, but you can't simply force Noah right because he can step back and hit the 3, something Wheeler can't do with any consistency. (that last part is my analysis)

Overall, AF really likes what White has begun to build in Athens....
calebhawley
These guys are very strange. I recently came across an article where some evaluator said that the newcomers are quite weak. He made a particular point about James. Particularly on his defensive weaknesses and lack of perspective...
BigDawgsGoRoof
Post the article!!
Monkdawg
calebhawley said:

These guys are very strange. I recently came across an article where some evaluator said that the newcomers are quite weak. He made a particular point about James. Particularly on his defensive weaknesses and lack of perspective...
Remains to be seen, I suppose. I think individually the class is not spectacular, but, if White is putting the pieces together correctly, it's a solid class.
PaulWesterdawg
realistically anyone would have to come into this team with the roster Crean left and flip it 3 times to get a really exciting product that is Tourney bound.

He brought in what 10 last year? 9 this year? I think we'll have to do 8 probably next year.

I think it's a very strong class. Spectacular class? Have we had more than 2 of those in 30 years (of kids that actually showed up on campus)?

Monkdawg
PaulWesterdawg said:

realistically anyone would have to come into this team with the roster Crean left and flip it 3 times to get a really exciting product that is Tourney bound.

He brought in what 10 last year? 9 this year? I think we'll have to do 8 probably next year.

I think it's a very strong class. Spectacular class? Have we had more than 2 of those in 30 years (of kids that actually showed up on campus)?

That's probably a fair assessment. Crean left the cupboard pretty bare. White had his work cut out for him. He came in pretty late in the process last season and really didn't have time to do more than he did with the roster. He brought in bodies that weren't stiffs exactly but also weren't game changers. (Though I think it might be argued that some were pretty ineffective.... I think we lost the best player in the class when Lindsay transferred. That loss really stings.) This class is somewhat better, I think, but still our roster is a work in progress. Very strong? I don't know yet without seeing them on the court. I think the whole could be better than the sum of the parts. I'm concerned about lack of depth and experience in the backcourt, and I don't know whether we have the perimeter shooters to make a big jump in on-court success. Next year's class though has a chance, if things fall our way, to really be spectacular (for us). And yes, we will have to bring in quite a few players in the class.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.