SEC Hoops expenditures

2,145 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Teddybulldawg
Nostradawgus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Granted, this was baked pre-White. Shocked to see us above ….. FL. Things that start to make sense lol

SEC men's basketball expenses:

Kentucky: $17,646,655
Vanderbilt: $10,399,670
Texas A&M: $10,033,638
Auburn: $9,917,360
Tennessee: $9,674,480
Alabama: $8,387,815
Arkansas: $8,201,219
Ole Miss: $8,132,066
LSU: $7,577,483
Missouri: $7,321,237
UGA: $7,130,192
South Carolina: $6,612,640
Florida: $6,524,621
Mississippi State: $6,260,208
Nostradawgus
And SEC' athletic department revenues minus expenses. There is no excuse to not be better.

1. UGA: $55,823,857
2. Arkansas: $21,299,534
3. Ole Miss: $17,631,145
4. Texas A&M: $15,254,238
5. Tennessee: $11,229,051
6. Alabama: $9,607,849
7. South Carolina: $4,792,677
8. Vanderbilt: $3,261,949
9. Kentucky: $539,020
10. Auburn/Florida/LSU/Missouri: $0
Monkdawg
Do you know what year this is for?
Nostradawgus
I believe this past fiscal year.
PaulWesterdawg
The prior regime could've had $40m in expenses and wouldn't have known what to do with it. Just pissing away cash.

This guy appears to have a plan. It wasn't a joke when folks (like Legge) said that Florida doesn't know how to win at major sports right now. They simply don't have the appetite for what it takes at an institutional level.

They are UGA in 2008-2015 when we were totally lost at the AD and board level.
Monkdawg
Interesting stuff: Each SEC school was given about $55 million by the conference, per this article. And the overall revenue for the SEC was over 3/4 of a billion dollars. Imagine what will happen when TX and OK join the conference. Schools will be getting $80 million apiece.

https://www.secsports.com/article/33261323/sec-announces-2020-21-revenue-distribution
Nostradawgus
At that point if you are not in the SEC and maybe the Big 10, you just have to throw your hands up and acknowledge you can no longer compete in the Board room, and can only hope that incompetence at the individual school level will allow you to compete at the field level.

Just don't see how the college football and basketball structure and landscape stays the same within five years.

I see a "new" Division of schools that will be closer to a a professional structure and everyone else will recede to a more traditional college athletics model.

Monkdawg
Nostradawgus said:

I was doing a quick search, and I can't seem to find a comparison for the last fiscal year. Maybe I'm missing it.

Here's an article that must be about 2020 spending for the top 25 NCAA programs.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/25-colleges-spend-most-men-180050755.html

We are, of course, nowhere to be found in the picture nationally.
Monkdawg
Nostradawgus said:

At that point if you are not in the SEC and maybe the Big 10, you just have to throw your hands up and acknowledge you can no longer compete in the Board room, and can only hope that incompetence at the individual school level will allow you to compete at the field level.

Just don't see how the college football and basketball structure and landscape stays the same within five years.

I see a "new" Division of schools that will be closer to a a professional structure and everyone else will recede to a more traditional college athletics model.

The SEC is certainly leading an arms race in pretty much all sports in spending. Of course, the SEC has substantially more to spend than other conferences.
Monkdawg
Nostradawgus said:

In looking quickly again at the expenses, this just can't be a current list. UK has been spending over $20 million per year on hoops for several years now. They are #2 in the NCAA to Duke IIRC.
PaulWesterdawg
They have a sold out 20-25k arena. With meaningful contribution dollars tied to those seats. And a willingness to spend football money on hoops. Different ball game.
Monkdawg
PaulWesterdawg said:

They have a sold out 20-25k arena. With meaningful contribution dollars tied to those seats. And a willingness to spend football money on hoops. Different ball game.
I'm not sure what you are responding to with this post. Where did I ever criticize our spending with regard to, say, UK in hoops? We are near the bottom of the conference in spending on basketball. I didn't claim we should be at the top. However, hoops spending alone doesn't tell the whole story. At a current profit of $55 million, which is more than double that of any other school in the SEC, UGA can afford to spend far more than we do - on basketball and on everything else. After all, basketball is a revenue-generating sport, even for a perpetually feeble program like ours. And yet, despite all that spending UK is doing on hoops, their overall profit for the athletic department was just $539K. As a program, we have over $54.5 million more to spend overall than UK. That doesn't add up.... We have failed in basketball largely because we have made bad choices.
PaulWesterdawg
i don't think that i criticized anything that anyone said. Just made an observation about their income sources.

I think we should spend more on hoops.

I just think the last 3 coaches didn't know what to do with money and/or didn't have the recruiting competency to do anything with the facilities we gave them.

I'll never forget (or forgive for that matter) Dennis Felton standing in front of a $30m practice facility which was state of the art (better than UK or Indiana at the time). And at the ribbon cutting surrounded by press he took that moment to criticize the admin for not supporting basketball enough. We threw away a 5-7 year lead on a facilities investment b/c we didn't know what to do with it. Now it's a commodity.

All for spending more on hoops.

I agree with you that we've failed b/c of bad choices. I'd say since 2010 or so most of those were about who was the head coach more than what we spent money on.
Monkdawg
PaulWesterdawg said:

i don't think that i criticized anything that anyone said. Just made an observation about their income sources.

I think we should spend more on hoops.

I just think the last 3 coaches didn't know what to do with money and/or didn't have the recruiting competency to do anything with the facilities we gave them.

I'll never forget (or forgive for that matter) Dennis Felton standing in front of a $30m practice facility which was state of the art (better than UK or Indiana at the time). And at the ribbon cutting surrounded by press he took that moment to criticize the admin for not supporting basketball enough. We threw away a 5-7 year lead on a facilities investment b/c we didn't know what to do with it. Now it's a commodity.

All for spending more on hoops.

I agree with you that we've failed b/c of bad choices. I'd say since 2010 or so most of those were about who was the head coach more than what we spent money on.
But for all those income sources, UK made $539K last year, despite getting $55 million from the conference. And yeah, the last 3 coaches were not good and probably couldn't have been trusted to handle an uptick in basketball spending anyway. Since Tubby, we have not chosen our coaches well at all. Jirsa was our first HUGE mistake, and we couldn't build on Tubby's success. Harrick was a helluva coach, but with baggage that got some people/media against him from the start. And bringing his son onto his staff cooked his goose. I knew Felton would fail from jump. Just bad. Fox was mediocre with no ties to south. His loathing to play freshmen, his desire to control every second of every game, his slowdown of every game and lack of offensive ideas (and I could go on and on with Fox) and the inability to recruit GA well doomed him. Crean was again a terrible hire. McGarity wouldn't listen to people and wanted to make a big splashy hire. Not the recipe for success at UGA in today's SEC. And our mistakes go way back before all that. It boggles the mind how much talent has left GA since the 60s. We really could have been a dynasty. All that said, I think White might figure it out. He's gonna be given the resources, I think.
Teddybulldawg
This is why I predict that one day soon, major college football will be centered on 2 leagues with a total of 40-48 teams.
Some believe that on the horizon that all leagues including the SEC and Big will break up with only the most powerful surviving.
My take is the existing SEC and BIG will cherry pick from the ACC, Big 12 and PAC to take almost all of the tv $ for themselves.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.