Look, we are, it seems, certain

1,848 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Joesock2
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
to fire Crean after the season and have a new coach next year. Why don't we try to enjoy what's left of this season and hope for some wins? It won't be easy for this roster to find wins, but we should enjoy them if we get them. The conference will be tough.

We should probably turn our attention to who the next coach should be. That would seem like fair grounds for discussion. I don't there's any debate left on Crean realistically. I was on record saying that I was not in favor of the Crean hire, but McGarity wanted to make a splash. I supported Crean because he was/is our coach, but nobody can be happy with the results. It didn't work out. These things often don't. I will say that Crean at least got fan interest to a high level his first 2 years before COVID struck, and, perhaps more importantly, got the administration used to spending more on basketball for staff and support staff. I am grateful for that, and I hope it will continue with the next coach.

As we sit here today, it is impossible to know exactly who will be up for the job come March. I'm biased, but I think Jonas Hayes would be a great choice. I know that many people say "he's never been a head coach", etc., but there are many examples of coaches becoming a head coach for the first time, even at Power 5 schools, and being successful. Experience is not always a good predictor of success. Just to name a few, off the top of my head, Kirby Smart, Roy Williams, Dean Smith all became head coaches without head coaching experience. With the right staff, the right hire can make it work.

Jonas learned his basketball under Jim Harrick, maybe the best HC UGA has ever had (certainly in x's and o's). Jonas has big alumni support and would get them more involved than previously. Jonas is a proven recruiter in the state of GA and has been able to recruit some nationally, both at UGA and at Xavier. He's the top assistant at Xavier, which has a very good team this year and will likely be in the NCAA tourney. UGA is Jonas's dream job; if he proved to be successful, we would not have to worry about him being lured away by another school (alaTubby Smith). He knows all the HS coaches in GA, and I think they would do everything they could to help him be successful. He also has the connections and is likable enough to attract a good staff to Athens to help him win.

Let's forget the possibility of a Rick Pitino taking the job; he would never be offered the job, as he has too many strikes against him. Are there others who might be successful? Sure, but Jonas Hayes checks the boxes.
Dawg44
I totally agree with you about Jonas. But that is exactly why he won't get hired. We want a "proven" coach that has been to final fours, sweet sixteens like Crean has. We will hire that and start all over again in four or five years. It's our history and history repeats itself.
StevieBuckets
Brooks keeps raiding USC for coaches. Maybe we can take their basketball coach as well.

I get the arguments for Jonas, and I would be ok with the hire. Excited? Meh, probably not. But I do think he could address our recruiting deficiencies, and that is step one when you want to win in college athletics. As Penny Hardaway continues to prove, it's not the only step, but it's an important one.

And as I pointed out in another thread, recruiting is no longer just signing the class. It's keeping the kids on campus. Crean brought in one great class, but two years later, they're all gone. Someone like Jonas, who loves the university, would hopefully have more success in that arena.
fladawg59
is john wooden available?
Monkdawg
Only if we can get Sam Gilbert, too. LOL
Monkdawg
That's the guy who came from FL Gulf Coast. He's got a bit of a reputation for being a bit oily. There was a time when I liked him a lot, but I don't think he has accomplished much at USC.

I get the desire to hire someone proven, but that clearly doesn't always work and can waste a ton of money. It's time to make a smart hire, rather than a splash hire.
StevieBuckets
I'll be honest..."oily" doesn't bother me like it once did. The NCAA has no teeth, and I want to win. If Georgia can avoid self-flagellation at the slightest hint of trouble, we'll be fine. Will Wade still has a job, doesn't he?

I'd quibble a bit at the notion that he hasn't done much. He's been pretty successful at a non-traditional basketball school, and he has some history in the SE (though only those two years in FL). The one big advantage Jonas has over a guy like him is a lack of experience...meaning we can't point at a resume and say, "See? He had a few bad years."

But if I'm not careful it's going to sound like I'm advocating hard for Enfield. I'm not. If Jonas is the guy, fine. I know that would fire up a lot of the fanbase. I just hope Brooks is as thorough and aggressive with the hire as he seems to have been with others he has already managed.
Monkdawg
I don't expect Brooks to be anything but thorough in his search.
Atowndawg
I would prefer a proven guy, a sweet sixteen winner with a modern offense, personality, and recruiting chops. Short of that, I would prefer a proven recruiter, an elite judge or acquirer of talent, assistant is fine (NBA or college), with personality. Preferably a minority candidate with southeast connections but I would also take a guy with significant foreign or other regional connections.

I would not consider Jonas an elite recruiter. He is likable and has some personality, but I would have to be convinced that he had a plan and could put an elite staff together. I would interview Jonas and all other viable UGa alums but that cannot be our focus. This is going to be a tough gig to get turned around. Crean is going to leave it in far worse shape than he found it. He has failed miserably. Most of that is on him but part of his failure is due to systemic program issues. The arrival of the NIL era isn't going to make it easier to turn this thing around. There are significant headwinds facing whomever comes here next.
SidViciousDawg
Geez, we haven't even played our first SEC game yet…
We beat Memphis. The players are still learning the system and each other. Can't we let this season play out a bit before throwing in the towel?
Nostradawgus
I'll take a moderately contrary position on Jonas.

In the universe of D1 head and assistant coaches, is Jonas the best, the most proven and ready to be a Power 5 head coach? No. Not even close.

Now, is Jonas the best balance of proven and ready AND best fit for the UGA job? Maybe. We don't know.

That's where I am counting on Brooks to leave no due diligence rock unturned and make that determination.

If he does, and it's Jonas, so be it. I just think the #bringjonashome rally cry of the average or casual UGA hoops fan is exactly the lazy and knee jerk reaction that got us down the wrong path post Tubby and in our current spot.

Brooks has killed it with "minor" hires. Got to believe he knows the stakes - and risks here.

Sitting here today I'd wager it won't be Jonas. I'd wager it would surprise us who and from where.

I'm pulling for the team. Anybody who has ever played sports knows it absolutely sucks to be on a team that, well, sucks. Just watching to see if they crater in January they quit and force Brooks to escalate the time line.
edog
How can I enjoy watching that bantam rooster strut on the court. "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"
dawg212003
Yea. Really enjoying this Gardner Webb game.
Nostradawgus
Yeah. I'm not sure Crean makes it to Feb. 1.
dawg212003
I think he does. And it's bc of his buyout.
Joesock2
If you know anyone who is interested in buying Georgia Bulldog memorabilia, I have some for sell!! I can send pics via email(taviasturner@yahoo.com) and/or text(706-607-6229)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.