This UVA team that we lost to tonight

2,008 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nostradawgus
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
is not one of Bennett's best. UVA usually has a couple of wings that can score off their really basic offense - curl cuts and flare cuts over and over. They tried their best to keep us in the game by missing tons of shots, but we kept missing and turning the ball over - too many empty possessions. We rushed possessions and took too many bad shots, particularly in the 2nd half. Also, we did not move well offensively, and we were dribbling too much.
edog
Why not give Jarvis a chance, starting tomorrow?
fladawg59
The sad part about this team is some of the new blood seems solid. Cook, Ingram, bridges.
If crean could've convinced part of his nucleus to stay we could have a competitive team.
Do you guys think we could play over .500 in sec if we had these guys with wheeler, camara and kd?
Monkdawg
Yeah, there are some good pieces on the team, just no real studs. There's nobody you just know will go out and get you 20 pts every night. That's an interesting question you ask about combining some of these players with the nucleus from last year. Certainly, that would be a solid team.
Dawg44
We could have used KD. But we have upgraded over those other two.
Monkdawg
If we did decide to can Crean, we wouldn't go out and bring in a coach to finish the season. There are at least 2 ex-head coaches on the bench right now that could finish up the year. And of the brothers Hayes, I think Jonas is the one more prepared to be a HC at this point. Jonas has been coaching quite a bit longer than Jarvis. Would love to see both in Athens on our bench though....
SidViciousDawg
Oldtimer65 said:

Well, Jarvis' one year at Morehouse and going on three years at Georgia State as an assistant isn't gonna get him in the running. Jonas is obviously who you meant…. He was an assistant here while UGA posted their best SEC four year win total in history with 42 victories. This is year four at Xavier with Travis Steele. Yet to have a winning record in the Big East but they look good this year. Some success with Mark Fox here and underwhelming at Xavier for a few years is not a resume that would normally get you a look from a major but, being a popular alum, he's the heavy favorite to follow this sh;+ show.
Nostradawgus
Monk - my kingdom for an explanation why all Crean's teams come out as road kill for five minutes right after the half break.
SidViciousDawg
I have an inkling Nostra and you prolly do as well.
Monkdawg
Boy, howdy....
StevieBuckets
SidViciousDawg said:

Oldtimer65 said:

Well, Jarvis' one year at Morehouse and going on three years at Georgia State as an assistant isn't gonna get him in the running. Jonas is obviously who you meant…. He was an assistant here while UGA posted their best SEC four year win total in history with 42 victories. This is year four at Xavier with Travis Steele. Yet to have a winning record in the Big East but they look good this year. Some success with Mark Fox here and underwhelming at Xavier for a few years is not a resume that would normally get you a look from a major but, being a popular alum, he's the heavy favorite to follow this sh;+ show.
I admittedly don't understand the Jonas love. Loving what he did at UGA? Absolutely. But as our next head coach? Must we settle?

This isn't a Kirby situation where he's spent years under one of the greatest coaches in history. Might he be a great head coach? Sure. But have we seen enough to bet another 4-5 years on it?
edog
I did mean Jarvis, sorry.

My point would be his connections and ability to recruit. Given where we are, could it be worse?
Monkdawg
Haven't we made enough mistakes with coaches who have experience, even some who are big names, but have no connection to the state and the school? Felton had experience; he sucked. Fox had experience, and, while he had some success, he could get little traction in recruiting and had the most boring style imaginable. Harrick was a great choice but brought with him a lot of baggage. Crean was the big name, splash hire that McGarity wanted to make. How has that worked out? Why not try something different? Bring in someone who has history in GA, who is loyal to UGA, who would never leave if successful, who is popular with HS coaches in GA, and for whom they will try to help succeed. Jonas learned his basketball from Harrick, who is the best X & O coach we've ever had. What have we got to lose?
Dawg44
Triple Bingo!!!
StevieBuckets
Monkdawg said:

What have we got to lose?
4-5 more years, but that's the answer no matter who we hire.

If the question is whether I'd prefer someone with experience or someone able to recruit the southeast, my answer is I want both. If that individual doesn't exist or isn't available and I had to choose between the two, sure, I'd choose the ability to recruit and the connection to the university.

Even though Crean seems like a lost cause at this point, it was a big swing. I just hope Brooks isn't afraid to swing big again.
Nostradawgus
Brooks couldn't have swung any bigger than he did - for track & field. His other actions to date re: coaches is where I'm hanging my hope on hoops.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.