Do you see this team getting better?

1,934 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Nostradawgus
Haney
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I ask because the argument is always, such a young team-they will get better. Well, are they? If not, that is on COACHING. Here is what I think, Edwards is doing better-taking on more of the role I expected from the start-basically playing the entire game and TRYING to carry his team. The sad part is that, the upperclass kids on this team are NOT stepping up. Hammonds?? Horrible-so inconsistent it makes you wonder about him. Harris-makes a lot of great plays but then makes some plays that make you shake your head. Crump, never met a shot he doesn't like, he simply should not be getting many minutes at all. Gresham, I think he is limited but he plays pretty smart and contributes when is in the game, he knows his role. Fagan is only a soph but he also plays smart and knows his role, and kid busts his tail when he is in-I don't have any issue with him.

If you take the FR, Edwards over the past 3 games has been playing much better-he still takes too many 3's but quite honestly, I think that is by design because I would rather him shoot it than Crump, and Hammonds has pretty much decided not to even shoot. Camara, he looks like he has hit a wall, he was playing well early but lately has been struggling to me. Wheeler, he has played really well and I have hopes that he will turn into a very solid player, like a JJ type talent. I actually think Christian Brown is starting to step up and play better. The rest of the FR, Howard and Peake-I do believe in time they both can contribute. We never see Walton-I am not sure what the deal is with him, he was pretty highly touted-is he injured or just not ready-is he redshirting-I think he played in at least one game I was watching so guess not. Bottom line, the FR that are getting minutes are contributing and showing promise but they are not quite ready for the big leagues-besides the first three and Brown is coming on. But what is most disappointing to me is the upper class leadership-and then also the coaching.

I say coaching because there is NO WAY you should blow not one but two 20 point leads in the second half-I don't care if you are playing on the road, that just can't happen. It starts with the defense, it has been mostly BAD this year, and then we go long periods of time without scoring-and I see the bulk of that is us firing up 3's and then a team gets the rebound, and either gets points in transition or they come down and hit a 3 because we don't get back. I don't understand why we don't attack the basket when we have the lead, get teams in foul trouble, get Edwards to the line, but we seem content to fire up 3's. I also wonder why Crean doesn't take the time when up by 20 to get Edwards rest. Don't rest him when you have seen the lead shrink to like 6 and then have to try to rush him back in before the other team actually takes the lead-or just don't take him out-he didn't take him out at Missouri, which he should have because we had such a big lead, and he didn't until like 9 minutes at UF, why not take him out at 14 minutes, then he gets the under 12 timeout and plays the rest of the way. Also the sub patterns are suspect. Crump offers very little and shouldn't be playing much at all, Fagan plays better D and is a smart player, Harris is finally starting which is good because the guy makes plays but you need to watch him and take him out when he makes bone headed plays-put in Gresham. I would also use Peake and Howard more in stretches to let Hammonds not have to play in the middle so much, those guys can grab boards and especially Peake occasionally gives you an offensive spark too.

I am beyond frustrated about this season, I have read on other boards people wanting Crean fired-I admit I have been so frustrated that I have even said that, BUT, you can't fire a guy after only two seasons-and this season is not over yet. We know Edwards is leaving but the remains of the team will be decent enough next year, we will just have to have some guys step up and score more but another year will make these current FR so much better and maybe a recruit or two next year will also help out-the recruiting class to this point is nothing like this class, but maybe we get another player here or there.
Bright Idea
Regardless of who is coming and going on the roster it looks like Crean's style is not to worry too much about protecting the rim. The lane is too often wide open with no weak side help. Drawing a charge is a lost art at UGA. I would rather foul than leave guys wide open on the perimeter too. Any D1 players should be tougher on defense than this bunch.
Dawg-E-Dawg
Any guess if Crean will make changes on his staff? Someone is going to have to take the blame for this season...last I checked the strength coach is the only holdover from Fox's staff. Crean has to cast the blame on someone to take the heat off him.
SidViciousDawg
What a joke if anyone thinks that S&C Coach Hayes is possibly the issue. Remember Yante's transformation frosh to soph year? S & C during Fox's tenure was certainly never an issue other being a tremendous positive. Hayes took 2 & 3 stars and turned them into guys who were more than competitive physically with the higher talent of the league.

We're soft as hell and that comes from the top. Head Coach Crean is softer than Head Coach Fox... Asst Coach Scott is softer than Asst Coach Pearson...Asst Coach Dollar is softer than Asst Coach Jonas. Hell Sean Hayes is the only hardass on this staff.

There will likely be a scapegoat at seasons end but S & C ain't the problem that's for sure. We need to give one crap on the defensive side of the court. Basketball ain't like football with an offensive/defensive coordinator who can really make a significant difference. It has to come from the HMFIC!!
Dawg-E-Dawg
I'm not saying S&C is the problem but Crean will need someone to blame and it's easiest to blame someone he never hired. If he gets rid of someone he brought in himself that would show he sucks at hiring. Hell didn't Crean even get rid of the previous trainer?
BIGKNINE1
UGA simply sucks on defense. We can score, but can't defend if the life depended on it. Simply sucks....!
Nostradawgus
I think the clear answer as of Feb 13 2020, is no.

And I get all the Pearl comparisons.

But I just don't see it being any better next year. Unless Ant shocks the world and says "one more" who is going to score next year. And any new post presence will be a freshman.

This is beyond depressing. And for UGA hoops, that is a very high bar.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.