RS Sophomore punter Marshall Long third on depth chart

3,833 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dawgpostsucks
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. Had first surgery on 22 February 2016 while still in high school
2. Sustained a dislocated kneecap (patella) in practice on 9 November 2016 and had it surgically repaired 6 days later
3. TBD

https://instagr.am/p/Bih0PuQAMdU
Haney
I think this has to be the reason the punter transferred in AFD, I would have to believe Long will be asked to or will accept a medical disqualification-which frees up a spot. I am still not sure the new grad transfer punter gets a spot, AFD are we not at 85 right now? Not sure if that includes Walthour and Gibbs, as well as the ND grad transfer Hayes. I have been figuring Long would be a candidate to leave or get the medical DQ, I think Jake Carmada takes the punting job come fall camp-the kid can flat out boom the ball.
dawgpostsucks
Haney said:

I think this has to be the reason the punter transferred in AFD, I would have to believe Long will be asked to or will accept a medical disqualification-which frees up a spot. I am still not sure the new grad transfer punter gets a spot, AFD are we not at 85 right now? Not sure if that includes Walthour and Gibbs, as well as the ND grad transfer Hayes. I have been figuring Long would be a candidate to leave or get the medical DQ, I think Jake Carmada takes the punting job come fall camp-the kid can flat out boom the ball.
Haney, I agree. It seems that Long is tracking for a medical exemption.

As for UGA Football's 2018 scholarship #s, I have them at 84 (tally includes punter Marshall Long, former walk-on PK Rodrigo Blankenship who was placed on scholarship on 7 September 2017, inbound Notre Dame graduate transfer DE Jay Hayes, and inbound DT Tramel Walthour; however, it doesn't include WR Michael Chigbu who is reportedly considering quitting football due to injuries, nor does it include DB Deangelo Gibbs who didn't enroll for spring semester).

As for UGA's starting punter in 2018, it should be a battle between inbound Murray State graduate transfer Landon Stratton and Jake Camarda:

- Stratton (2015-'17): 213 punts for 8,785 yds (avg. 41.2 yds/punt)
- Camarda (2015-'17): 125 punts for 5,156 yds (avg. 41.2 yds/punt)

Whomever starts between them will have demonstrated a quicker release (to obviate blocked punts) and a better hang time to distance ratio (e.g., 4.5 seconds for a 45-yd punt compared to 3 seconds for a 45-yd punt) to allow special teams gunners (e.g., Prather Hudson, D'Andre Walker) to get down the field before the returner can get upfield.
Haney
Good stuff AFD, there was a Gibbs tweet that said he was 100% and ready to go, and also the Maymester started the day he tweeted that-leading some to think he was enrolled and therefore part of the team again. I sure hope that is the case, that kid can be special.

As for punter, I got to see Camarda in person last year and his leg is amazing-now the intangibles you mention could allow the grad transfer to win the job.
dawg2727
His body can only take so much.If it wasn't for bad luck he would have no luck at all. It is a real shame because he has never been able to show how good he can be fully healthy.
dawgpostsucks
dawgpostsucks
dawgpostsucks
http://www.onlineathens.com/sports/20180807/while-marshall-long-mends-newcomers-battle-for-punting-job
dawgpostsucks
https://www.dawgnation.com/football/practice-report-georgia-qb-justin-fields-looks-sharp-throwing-ball-in-2-minute-drill

6 November 2018

Marshall Long is still on the team and practicing. However, the scholarship punter from China Grove, N.C., is behind freshman Jake Camarda and senior walk-on Travis Stratton on the depth chart.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.