How big a gap there is between UGA and UF Football

3,149 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Haney
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.dawgnation.com/pwa/georgia/article/georgia-football-florida-difference

"Across all recruiting services, Georgia has 22 5-star recruits on its 2019 roster. Florida will now have zero."
RedDawg
While I don't disagree at all with the notion that we have surpassed Fla in talent, none of that means anything with regards to W's & L's and the series record. It still remains to be seen if Kirby can translate any recruiting and/or roster advantage into long-term on-field success. Sure, we've administered a couple of butt-whuppin's in a row, but Fla still has won 3 of the last 5, and 6 of the last 11 (and I'd rather not bring up before that). And there have been several times in recent memory where we went onto the game, or the season in general, with the better team on paper and lost. So while it's one thing to point out Mullen's lack of success as a coach in response to his childish trolling of Kirby, it's another thing altogether to brag about W's before the recruiting eggs have hatched.

We've got a looooooooong score to settle with the booger-eaters, and I for one am not going to do much crowing until we see a 9 out of 10, or 18 out of 21 type thing in the books. That's just me.
Judgedawg
I know UF beat us 11 years ago. Tim Tebow and Brandon Spikes aren't suiting up against us this October, so what happened in 2009 doesn't make its players in 2019 better than our players in 2019.
If you believe UF is a toss-up to beat us then fine, it is your opinion, but "6 of the last 11" has no more affect on this year's players as "We won 8 of 10 in the 1980s" is.
RedDawg
Judge, hold on there my man. Go back and read my post. I did not say I believe the UF game is a toss up. We should absolutely stomp another mud hole in the gators. What I said (or at least what I meant) is that I'm not gonna crow too much until after we do it. The whole potential vs results thing. "Should" vs "did". I think that Kirby, despite all of his recruiting prowess, still has a lot to prove. So far, he has accomplished nearly exactly what Richt did in 3 years. He has also shown that, also like Richt, he has a penchant for losing games he has no business losing.

This is a bellwether year for Kirby. If he is to elevate the program in a similar way that Saban elevated LSU and Bama, or Meyer elevated Florida and Ohio St, or how it appears Dabo has elevated Clemson, he has to start winning games on the biggest stage, and stop losing to the Texas', LSU's, and Auburn's of the world. And yes, Florida is in that group. And he's gotta start doing it this year - it rarely happens after a coaches 4th season. That may not be fair, but it is reality. He has certainly built a program capable of doing it. Just gotta blow that lid off.
Haney
Agree Red, to me this is a huge season for Kirby. To date, he has proven that he is an elite recruiter on a level far beyond any coach we have had. BUT, the fact still remains, 1980 was a LONG TIME ago, I am thankful that I am old enough to have watched that game as a kid and know what it is like to actually win it all, but we have been so close too many times. You have to finish the drill, you have to complete the task and I personally think this collection of talent on the roster this year, coupled with the schedule we have (not going to say our schedule is easy because it is not), to me spells playoff or bust. That is how last season was for our players as well, and that is why we saw the result in the Texas game I believe. I think or hope that our players realized one thing last year-we MUST take away doubt from the playoff committee which means we have to win all our regular season games so that the SEC title game doesn't pretty much eliminate us if we lose. We beat LSU last year, we get in even with the loss. Auburn the year before, we won the SEC to get in-that was the only way we were in-and as it turned out last year, because of the loss, that was our only way in despite the fact so many said we were a top 4 team.

So, this year is crucial for Kirby and his staff. Two years ago, we had Bama beat and let them convert the 2nd and 26, despite the refs totally helping out Bama, we still had that game-our players lost it but our coaches did too-why not call a timeout there to go over all possible situations for the next 3 plays-you can always second guess but a timeout likely focuses our defense because I feel sure they felt like most of us, we got this. Last year, the fake punt, and before that the fake FG against LSU. Very questionable decisions that should have had options off of it-meaning against Bama, if Fields sees that Bama took the WR we felt would be wide open, he pooches a kick there. It is easy to second guess of course but Kirby is still getting labeled as a great recruiter and not a great coach. Sometimes you need something to just go your way, just like Saban inserting his backup QB two years in a row and having that player make play after play for him.

To me, there simply is NOT a team in the SECe that is close to us in talent, and I don't think close to us in coaching, As much credit as Mullen gets, I don't believe he is a great coach, I think he is a pretty good coach that has trouble recruiting. In the SECw, you have Saban and Jimbo, to me those are the best two coaches in the league, Saban goes without saying but Jimbo did win a title at FSU so you must give him props. Now that Urban is gone, I think you could say Saban, Dabo, Fisher, and maybe Riley at OU are higher than Kirby-Riley only because he did make the playoffs two years and has coached back to back Heisman winners. It is just a matter of time for Kirby you would have to think but with a JR QB, the best OL in the country, one of the best RB's in the country, a defense that has been recruited/built with incredible talent and speed, to me this is our year. Time will tell.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.