We won our first SEC game

4,201 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mmixon
Dawg44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's always good to get a win in the SEC and a road win. I wish we could ring the basket a lot better.
dawg212003
I fear this season is going to be a bad one. I had high hopes at the start of the season. The girls don't look like they are being developed. Not sure how long Joni will be given.
dawgs30008
I agree with you. The bench is not developing at least the upper class women.

The team spend too much time watching Connelly dribble. Staiti needs to learn how to bump her defender before going up for a shot. Got tired of her getting a shot block by Tennessee.

Hose is not a backup point guard. Not sure why Caldwell or Que is not the backup. Chapman is not ready yet. Que is getting her game back. I would like her to continue to be aggressive and look for her shot, Caldwell also. Love the big girl down low Nicholson, Issac too. Look forward to watching them develop.

Yeah I think Joni is in over her head and the program is getting left behind. Too much talent in the state of Georgia for us not to be relevant.

I have no problem in eating crow at the end of the season if they prove me wrong.

bhdawg
Fundamentals are not good here.
mmixon
When your players are not being developed, you have to take a look at your coaching staff. I have said in the past that Joni needs to tweak her staff. She needs to go out and get the best recruiter that money can buy. Preferably, someone who has ties to the state of Georgia and Tennessee. I just looked at the McDonald's Game Roster and Olivia Cochran, Madison Hayes and Treasure Hunt all made it. The funny part is that their point guard is Raven Johnson who will be a Senior next year. Our staff didn't get any of those players and I am afraid it won't be any different with Raven. Looking at UGA, we have role players and in order to be a great team, you have to have difference makers. This staff haven't been able to recruit any and I don't see it changing. Every time I turn on a big game, I see Great Georgia Players. Baylor has Te'a Cooper leading them back to another final four. Cooper is playing for her third school. She is the only one from McEachern that we didn't land. Another McDonald's All American. I am looking at our signees and they are more of the same players we have now and I don't see UGA being any better next year. The great days are behind us.
mmixon
I forgot about Kamilla Cordosa who was the 6 ft 6 inch center for the team (FBC United) who also made the the McDonald's All American Team. Raven was the starting point guard even though she was a class behind them. Georgia Tech right now is probably the surprise Team in the country. They are winning and will definitely be make the NCAA Tournament. Not many Teams who lost two McDonald's All Americans to transfer and a couple of starter's would be playing at the level they are playing. Nell Fortner is proving why she was selected as the 2000 Olympic Coach. Something tells me that Nell and her staff will be rewarded with a great class because she is showing that she can get the job done. Don't be surprised if Raven end up staying home.
dawg212003
Good win last night. Could be a confidence builder. Held Arkansas to 31 pts below their average. Georgia Tech currently on a 2 game losing streak. Bad loss vs Boston College who is currently 10-9 and lost last night to North Carolina. I think Joni knows she better get it together or she is gone.
mac25
Joni should have felt the heat long time ago. Mosley should have been gone. By the looks of our girls, S&C should have been re-looked. Way too many injuries and the rehab process is taking way too long and therefore, I question our athletic trainers. All of this is under the watchful eye of the head coach. She is a great role model and wish she was more successful because you love having her as the face of the program. However, you now have to start questioning can she make the tough decisions to make changes in her program to get better or take us back to the top of the SEC. Joni took over a program from Landers, who stayed too long and saw the decline of the storied program that he built. Now the program is in a decline from where Joni started. So, one must asked can she do the things to get better; recruit, develop talent, as well as compete and win against the higher echelons of the SEC. Before it was Tenn and UGA. Now we are chasing, South Carolina, Tenn, LSU, Texas A&M, Kentucky, MIss St., Arkansas and the list is growing. We're almost now in the bottom tier of the SEC in women's basketball.
mmixon
I agree with everything you said mac25, the worst thing is turning on the TV and watching all the great talent from the state of Georgia playing for other schools. The last McDonald's All American to sign out of high school from the state of Georgia with UGA was Tasha Humphrey. That's inexcusable for all the talent in Georgia. If the football team recruited that bad, Dawg Fans would be going crazy everyday on message boards. Joni's staff needs tweaking real bad. She needs coaches who can recruit, coach and develop talent. Right now we are a none factor for the SEC. We missed the NCAA last year, I don't see this Team going this year and by missing on top talent this recruiting cycle I don't see any reason to make it next year. I just wonder how much longer before pressure is applied.
dawg212003
That's the problem. Women's basketball isn't one of the important sports at Georgia. This program is definitely headed in the wrong direction. I had high hopes when Joni was hired and hoped she would do well. My hopes have been dashed. Our girls aren't being developed. It's baffling to see no development. If not Joni then she definitely needs to change her staff.
mmixon
I agree with you on that, but if the school has it as a sport, winning should be a priority. I remember when Vince Dooley took on the Athletic Director Job while he was still coaching. He made every sport at UGA a priority. He steals Hugh Durham from FSU by paying him big time to come to UGA. Four years later UGA goes to it's only final four and Durham kept UGA winning his career there. Second thing Dooley did was make the Women's Basketball Team a priority, hires and aggressive young Andy Landers. The Team has a winning season the first year and all of a sudden top recruits start coming to UGA from everywhere including the state of Georgia. Teresa Edwards was one of the first. As rules changed, Landers made adjustments, one of his best staffs consisted of Terri Flournoy and Michael Shafer with Terri being Recruiting Coordinator. We signed Keisha Brown the number one player in Georgia and the nation, the Miller Twins who were both top ten in the nation, Tawana McDonald top ten in the nation who drew her teammate Tweety Nolan, who would lead the Detroit Shock to 3 WNBA Titles, also we would sign Kara Braxton and her twin sister, Alexis Kendrick and Sherrill Baker. After Terri and Michael Shafer left, recruiting has been falling ever since. The reason I am saying this is both left to become Head Coaches and those are the type people Joni or UGA needs now. If you have people not looking to advance, then your Team will not get better.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.