Recruiting Update

8,115 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LadyDawgFan
Tyree02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nothing earth shattering, but Chelsea Newton is currently over in Mongolia recruiting Olivia Cochran and Madison Hates at the moment. If we can land both kids like I think we can, we are going to continue transcending this program towards elite status, once again.
mmixon
I agree Tyree02, getting Olivia and possibly Madison Hayes would really make Raven Johnson think about an early commitment. Those three could be the foundation of a great team. We have 5 scholarships for the 2021 year. The Wish List would be Raven, Kayla McPherson, Sania Feagin and Brianna Turnage. Raven, Kayla and Sania are all in the top 20 for 2021. Brianna should end up in the top 100, I think higher. She doesn't get the notoriety because she plays with Raven. She is an outstanding athlete with very good skills. The type of player who can play more than one position and would give you her all. If UGA could land those four for 2021 I would save that fifth ship for 2022.
mac25
Thanks. Any updates on how off season conditioning is going?
mmixon
Raven Johnson just took a trip out to Waco Texas to visit Baylor. I would have thought UGA didn't have to worry about Baylor but they just dismissed their point guard last week. Baylor is school I think will definitely be in it till the end with Raven. It will be sad to not see this young lady in the red and black, but you couldn't blame her for not wanting to go play for Kim Mulkey. They have simply dominated the Big 12 and never misses the NCAA. It didn't take long after they dismissed Honesty Scott-Grayson for Baylor to let Raven know that she can possibly come in an play for a National Championship her freshman year. It looks as if they are trying for an early commit. So this is one we need to watch for in the months to come.
Tyree02
That would be pretty telling because Joni's elite camp is today. It is hard for us to land FBC kids for some reason. Yes, we have Mikayla Coombs, but it took her heading to a place where she is very unhappy chasing a "big offer". We don't do well recruiting that AAU program.
Tyree02
Also, I look for Sarah Andrews to head to Baylor in the 2020 class!
LadyDawgFan
2020 commit Zoesha Smith played a few tournaments with FBC too. Amirah Abdur-Rahim also plays for FBC, perhaps we land her? She has dropped in the rankings due to injury.
Tyree02
Raven Johnson and Brianna Turnage are currently visiting UGA!
mmixon
That's good news Tyree02, those two have been together forever. Raven Johnson would turn recruiting completely around and adding Brianna Turnage would just be gravy. I remember Geno Auriemma getting Rebecca Lobo, turned UCONN into the power house program it is today. UGA has been a power house program, Raven Johnson would bring us back.
mmixon
I just read an article about Raven talking to a Louisville Writer who interviewed her. She said that UCONN, Louisville, Baylor, Oregon, South Carolina, Miss State were recruiting her the hardest. She talked really good about Jeff Waltz. They have a commitment from Olivia Cochran and they are recruiting Madison Hayes and Treasure Hunt as well. It looks like we really have some serious competition. I saw were Raven took pictures wearing a Ladydawg Uniform with her number 25. Kids do that today in all sports. Joni needs to make sure to put the full court press on Raven and Brianna Turnage. A commitment from Turnage might be our only hope for Raven. A miss on Raven would only signify that Joni might have to tweak her staff and go after the best recruiter that money can buy.
LadyDawgFan
Madison Hayes committed to Mississippi State today. Her finalists were NC State, Louisville, North Carolina, Tennessee, and South Carolina.

Interesting that so many elite recruits are attracted to Starkville. I guess NCAA FF and SEC titles do that. To my knowledge, they only have one Georgian on their team, Jessika Carter.
mmixon
Raven took an unofficial visit to Louisville this past weekend and the way it looks like she really enjoyed her time there. You have to believe that Olivia Cochran is trying everything to persuade her to join the Cardinals with her. From what I can see, it wouldn't shock me to see her commit early to Louisville or Baylor. Kids first choice is normally the schools they see in the big games on Television.
Tyree02
Sania Feagin, Raven Johnson andCourtney Ogden were a few recruits we had on campus. Raven was just on campus for the Notre Dame game. Sania Feagin was also on campus tonight, as well as a few weeks ago. Jillian Hollingshed was on campus recently as well. We have got to close out!!!
mmixon
I agree with you Tyree02, we definitely need to land Raven and I believe others like Sania would come.
Tyree02
I am forecasting Jillian Hollingshed to Georgia. She would be a nice addition. UCONN had been showing some interest. She is playing for Game Elite and playing for Kaila Hubbard's father. She also played high school basketball with Kaila as well.
mac25
Happy BD Tyree. Thanks for the update. Jillian would be a solid start for this class. Add in others like Raven Johnson, Kayla McPherson, Sania Feagin and Brianna Turnage and we could have our own FAB Five.
Tyree02
Thanks for the bday wish brother! Joni and her staff maybe in the drivers seat for Sania Feagin. She was on live over on Instagram, and as soon as HC Joni Taylor popped up on her live, she lit up and gave Joni a shot out. Raven Johnson was with her on her live and they visited Athens together during Stegmania.
Tyree02
I will go on record and say this, Georgia is making up major ground for Raven Johnson. I spoke to a very good source that stated there are two 2021's that are close to popping for UGA WBB and if I were a betting man, Johnson could very well be the other one the source referred to. Johnson visited South Carolina 1-2 weeks ago, but it is imperative that we continue making steps forward to land these types of kids.
trey12madd
Tyree02 said:

I will go on record and say this, Georgia is making up major ground for Raven Johnson. I spoke to a very good source that stated there are two 2021's that are close to popping for UGA WBB and if I were a betting man, Johnson could very well be the other one the source referred to. Johnson visited South Carolina 1-2 weeks ago, but it is imperative that we continue making steps forward to land these types of kids.
Thanks for the update Tyree. Hope all is well.
LadyDawgFan
How the hell does Nell keep elite kids in-state? She gets Avyonce Carter and Anaya Boyd in her first year, plus top-100 players in Loyal McQueen (from SC) and Eylia Love (KS). Impressive. We'll certainly battle them for some 2021 kids.
mmixon
Nell recruited the 1999 National Championship Team at Purdue. Carolyn Peck got the credit but that was Nell's Team. Peck recruited the little guard that I can't remember and that's it. Nell left the Team to Coach the 2000 Olympic Team. I was hoping when Lander's stepped down that McGarity would approach Nell but he had other ideas. I also said when Tech hired Nell that Tech would be the strongest Team in Georgia. I think Tech is headed to the Top Ten on a yearly basis. She is proving me right already.
dawg212003
At the moment Georgia has 6 5 star recruits on its roster. Not sure how you automatically jump to GT being a better team in the state of Georgia.
mmixon
Teresa Edwards was a 5 star, Janet Harris also was a 5 star and Katrina McClain. UGA doesn't have those kind of Players anymore. For some reason we have people trying to sell Magazine's and online website membership by trying to change the standard of the top 40. 25 years ago the top ten were 5 stars, the second ten or fifteen were 4 stars and from there on were 3 stars or less. Jenna Staiti would be a high 4 star and she was the highest rated UGA Player. If UGA had six 5 stars we would be the favorite to win the SEC and a favorite to go to the final four. We are not even favored to be in the top 8 of the SEC. Tech elevated themselves with the hiring of Nell Fortner, a coach who built a Team that won a National Championship and a Olympic Gold Medal. We have a coach who is still learning. Techs talent is just as good or better than UGA. Sooner or later Tech was going to catch up or pass UGA and that time I believe is here. Sunday is going to be very interesting.
Tyree02
Mmixon,

I usually agree with you and although there are some truth in some of what you stated, but the talent that Tech had left when Machelle left. She snagged two McDonald AA's that put them ahead of us but they are now at Louisville. Tech signed a great class in 2020 for Nell's first class, but don't forget Nell got canned at Auburn. I am praying that she does better at Tech and UGA has talent. Sunday's game is huge for us due to the recruiting competition with them.
mmixon
Tyree02, we have had our way with Tech in the past because they have never had a good coach. Don't judge Nell totally on Auburn. Auburn is like UGA when it comes to support. There has never been a lot of support at UGA for women's basketball. South Carolina, Miss State, Tennessee and a couple of other schools get way better support than Auburn and UGA. Purdue was one of those schools that get a lot of support. Nell is already getting the support to make Tech a top ten school for women's basketball. They have given her the money to hire a super coaching staff that can recruit. Mickey DeMoss and Tasha Butts highlight her staff. Anaya Boyd is just the start. I love UGA, don't get me wrong, but coaching and recruiting is the main parts for success in any college sports. Tennessee dominated because they out recruited everyone. UCONN had a dynasty because they out recruited everyone. Kirby Smart has UGA Football on the verge of greatness because he is recruiting like crazy. We have a staff that is unproven. Right now, we just don't have a great recruiting staff. In the past, Andy Lander's and Staff recruited competitively with everybody. We just don't have that anymore and it's a big reason why we are not picked to go to the NCAA. Tech might not win Sunday but they are on the verge of breaking through.
LadyDawgFan
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.