Non-Dawg, Hong Kong and the Fourth of July...

2,453 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ColonialDawg
thedogfather
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you have not been paying attention, you might want to turn an eye to what is going on in Hong Kong. It is pretty compelling from a political, historical, psychological, sociological, and general human interest standpoint.

We are on the doorstep of celebrating our freedom and the people of Hong Kong are doing what they can to preserve the freedoms they have from a totalitarian bureaucracy. In doing so they are risking their lives (and torture) just as much as our founding fathers did. They know China could execute and torture them without hesitation but they value their freedoms so greatly that they are willing to accept it.

If Hong Kong can fight this out in the public eye, as they have been able to thus far, and beat back the bureaucracy, China is going to have to kick their censorship into overdrive to keep the mainland Chinese from knowing too much. The mainland Chinese have never tasted freedom so they do not know what they are missing out on. However, if Hong Kong sets an example they might start taking similar risks. Our tariffs could also provide some motivation if businesses start heading out of China to Taiwan, Vietnam, etc...
StalkinDawg
The Chinese govt are masters at censorship and revisionist history. They've wiped Tianimen Square from their school history books.
viperoy
StalkinDawg said:

The Chinese govt are masters at censorship and revisionist history. They've wiped Tianimen Square from their school history books.

Really? And what have we not wiped from ours?
EverestDawg
AOC IS BACK, BABY! long time no see. How was the trip to the border?
StalkinDawg
Why don't you tell me? Civil war is still a relevant topic. So is slavery. Same with Native genocide. How have we revised our history?
REDdawg12
viperoy said:

StalkinDawg said:

Here we go...
CummingDawg22
StalkinDawg said:

Why don't you tell me? Civil war is still a relevant topic. So is slavery. Same with Native genocide. How have we revised our history?
I'm sure he's been to China and seen first hand the differences in their education vs ours.

The dude is well educated and I'm sure he will give you multiple apple to apple examples of how America has completely eliminated something similar to Tiananmen Square.
65dawg
I am an old white guy and I deserve reparations.. 65
Lamar
viperoy said:

StalkinDawg said:

Perhaps yourself, Kapernick and others who feel similarly should try living in a country that is truly oppressed if you are so unhappy here.

If things are so bad here, why are masses ignoring existing laws to get in and escape their countries of origin?
65dawg
Alleged 25,000 African immigrants are on ships headed to Mexican boarder.. 65
Gasdawg
Alleged source?
65dawg
Another board for UGA HOTD.. 65
ColonialDawg
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.