Crazy Recruiting stat

4,168 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by begger
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Amazing/crazy/outrageous stat about recruiting:
In 9 seasons, not once did a Mark Fox class crack the top 30 nationally (I had put top 20 in a recent post, but it's actually worse than I thought), the highest being #32 in 2011, Fox's 2nd full class. If Crean pulls in Christian Brown, we will be #5 in the country, with more to come. We could very easily end up in the top 3, challenging for #1 if the right names fall to us. If we could somehow land Achiuwa, that would probably give us the 2 highest rated players, certainly in recent history, but probably since 1979 when we got Nique and Terry Fair, among others. Is it any wonder that Fox failed at UGA by only getting into 2 NCAAs and failing to advance in either? You gotta recruit.

Now sure, there will be teams like Tenn that will have lower rated guys who really develop and excel within a system on occasion. But it's better to have players. Crean understands this. In his 1st full class, Crean will far outpace any recruiting Fox ever did in Athens. People always excused Fox because he wasn't from our area and didn't have recruiting contacts here. He also didn't hire people on his initial staff with many recruiting contacts in the area (Pearson being the exception until Jonas came later). Fox didn't emphasize recruiting with his staff enough. Crean isn't from here either, but he hired 2 guys with enormous contacts in the area, as well as a guy with contacts in the NE and Midwest. And this initial Crean class won't have many GA players in it. They will come from elsewhere. Edwards is a huge get, which will lead to more in-staters down the road. Crean himself is really connected. Things are looking up!

Crean knows the kind of roster it takes to win in bigtime college basketball. McGarity decided it was time for us to hire a high profile coach and do what it takes to win at a high level. That's why he hired Crean. Sure, we've lost some games it would have been nice to win, and we might have won a few more games with Fox (but those who keep bringing Hagans up need to realize that Hagans was going to UK as soon as they offered). But Fox was getting the program nowhere - certainly not where we want to be. Crean has higher expectations and a greater vision for the program than Fox ever did. I don't care what the ranking were for some on our roster, if a walk-on is starting, then there is something wrong with people's evaluations. Crean clearly doesn't like the talent on his roster, and is setting about to upgrade that situation. The ceiling for our program is now much higher than it was. Interest is greater than it was. Enthusiasm is greater than it was. In the grand scheme, the season was meaningless.

Crean's fifteen game win improvement in 2011-2012 at Indiana was the largest single turnaround in the NCAA that season. Crean's guidance of the program to success from "unthinkable depths" was widely regarded as one of the most remarkable rebuilding projects in NCAA basketball history. As a result, he was named the mid-season Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year, the Sporting News Big Ten Coach of the Year, and the ESPN.com National Coach of the Year.

For the 201213 season, Crean signed five highly touted recruits, much as he will be doing at UGA this season. Combined with the returning players from the previous season, Indiana spent 10 weeks ranked #1 in the country and all but two weeks in the top 5. (That ain't just luck...) The Hoosiers won their first outright Big Ten regular season title in 20 years, and garnered a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, also their first in 20 years. So, "smoke and mirrors" it was not.... And IU is 33-29 since Crean left.
Judgedawg
Monk, I certainly am hopeful that Crean recruits like gangbusters for the rest of this class, and he has a very good track record coaching in a damn tough Power Five conference. I have all the confidence in the world that he can be successful at UGA. I do think that the 2019-2020 season is very important for the future of this program, though. He doesn't need to win the SEC regular season, but making the tournament is important for the credibility of the program going forward.
thedogfather
Is there some scuttlebutt that we have a shot with Achiuwa?
Monkdawg
Yes. Achiuwa's trainer was the trainer for Thomas Bryant, who played center for Crean at IU. That guy apparently has a great relationship with Crean. So I wouldn't count us out.
begger
Brown is another wing though. Not a PG or post. I wouldn't complain, but he means more players are pushed out to add those actual roster needs. Or else we have holes positionally on the floor. I think Achiuwa is the same in not really a big man/interior presence, at best is a wing style PF, and certainly no PG.
Nostradawgus
Monk, that post-Creen stat about IU's record is surprising.

My guess is the IU faithful are saying the same thing about Creen we are saying about Fox?

Otherwise, I hope you are right. My UGA hoops spirit is broken. I saw Guthrie led teams as a little kid look better than this season.
thedogfather
Monkdawg said:

Yes. Achiuwa's trainer was the trainer for Thomas Bryant, who played center for Crean at IU. That guy apparently has a great relationship with Crean. So I wouldn't count us out.
Thanks. I was wondering what the connection was there.

Any clue when he will commit?

Not counting chickens before they hatch, but if we got Achiuwa it would be something else to see Edwards, Achiuwa, Hammonds, and Claxton on the floor together. Length and athleticism galore.
Drillerman
Monk , I have heard rumblings that we are hot on the trail of a true point guard!! I hope that is true as that would really fill in this class!! We could potentially have 3-4 stars and 3-5 stars coming in!! Would that not REALLY BE SOMETHING FOR UGA HOOPS??? Come on next year!! The YEAR OF THE DAWG!!!
Monkdawg
One thing this commitment tells me is that Toppin is gone. He's been recruited over 3 times in 1 class. I agree we still need a PG and a post. I've watched Achiuwa's film. He plays like a PF to me. I see a bunch of dunks and inside offense, no much shooting. He's a PF in my book. But I also agree it would be nice to have a real, true post presence to help our defense and erase some of those drives when are guards get beaten.
Monkdawg
There are several PGs on our radar, though which 1 is the most likely to commit I don't know. We need 1 badly. It would help Edwards not to have to carry the load in ballhandling and perimeter defense. This could end up being a crazy good class, yes. It's already damn good by our standards. Crean has a different standard from what we are used to.
begger
Sounds like Claxton.

That's my current concern. I guess call it a 2004 Olympics fear. Too many talented but ill fitting parts. That squad was scoring guards (Iverson, Marbury, Wade), wing forwards (Marion, R Jefferson, Carmelo, and baby Lebron). It lacked shooters to space the floor and create lanes, a PG to set up others, and a C to defend the inside. Duncan had that ability but Boozer and Stoudemire didn't compliment his game. No one on that team did (compliment the style of others around them aside from Duncan). Are we gonna be the same with an abundance of redundant slashers and wings but no one to compliment their game?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.