While watching us play South Carolina yesterday,

4,783 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SidViciousDawg
Dawg44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
all I could think of was this. We are loaded with top SEC talent. LOL!!!
Monkdawg
If we flip this roster the way it appears we can, there are gonna be a lot of people who do not want to play us next year and in years to come.
SidViciousDawg
Monk, you think we can do it with other impactful Freshmen (besides Edwards) on the roster or does it require we get a GT or JUCO? I don't see Walton and/or Camara making that big of a splash in their first year; the 3 isn't the problem anyway with Hammonds and Harris available. To get back to Fox level success (8-10 wins in conference) is gonna require more than one more signee and that's all we have open currently.

With Hightower, Fagan, Toppin, Sargiunas on scholly and Edwards, Walton & Camara added to that... one or two of the first four gotta go so we can fill the desperate need of a big or two and a PG. There's serious work to be done by Crean & Staff for us to be a .500 team next year.

Haney
It is quicker to turn around in basketball than in football, Edwards can and WILL make a big difference in his only season. On top of that, Clax and Hammonds will be even better next year, and I would imagine Harris and Crump as SR's will be better-having a player/scorer on the floor like Edwards improves everyone on the floor because he requires so much attention. The other two FR we have coming in are top 100 players, don't sleep on them as making an impact next season.

The difference between us and middle of the pack of the SEC (all either in the tourney or bubble) is not as big as it appears. Ole Miss, Miss State, South Carolina, UF, Bama and Arky-there is no reason we can't be in that group next year and they were all 8-10 or better in conference. We beat UF on the road this year, and they finished 9-9 in the league. We nearly beat AU and they were 11-7 in the league.
Monkdawg
Can we do it with other impactful freshman? I think we could, but I'm not sure we will have to. I think at least 2, if not 3 or 4, guys will transfer out. I'm almost positive of 2. I think you are shortchanging Walton and Camara. I think Walton starts almost immediately, and I've been told that, of the class so far, Crean thinks Camara will be the big surprise. I've been told that Crean thinks Camara is an NBA player down the road. That's high praise. Really versatile, plays defense, hits the boards and can score. Do you know that Crean's 2011-12 IU team improved by 15 wins due to the influx of 5 signees? That was the biggest improvement in the NCAA that year. Crean knows what it takes to win.
Monkdawg
Haney, if we just defend our opponents' guards better, we will be much improved. That was our biggest problem defensively this season. Any pair of decent guards, or even just one good guard, killed us. Everybody had better guards than we did. We need a PG who can handle the ball and defend!
SidViciousDawg
This year's team should have been there with the 6-8 win teams like Bama, Arky and A&M (3 coaches on hot seat). Until we find another quality big to play with Clax I believe next year's potential will be 6-8 wins as well. As of now Claxton and Ngumezi is all we have and that is very concerning. I saw Walton play in person 3 times this year and I just don't see him being an impact player as a freshman, especially with Harris, Edwards, Hammonds and Toppin all competing for time at the wing. Camara's only other high major offers were Minnesota and K State, I don't expect him to contribute much next year.

I don't know what the JUCO or Grad Transfer market is like this year as far as bigs and PG's
but until we sign one of each, I'm not gonna get too bullish about next season. I'll take a big man before PG at this point. Hightower, Fagan, Crump and Edwards may be able to cover the point but Claxton and Ngumezi is just a disaster waiting to happen; foul trouble or injury and we're just plain awful.
SidViciousDawg
Monk, I hope you're right about Camara, I admit to not knowing that much about him other than his lack of offers. Walton is awful thin, if he can put on 15 lbs or so maybe he can hadle the jump to SEC play as a freshman.
Monkdawg
There are certainly PGs out there for us as either freshmen, JUCOs or grad transfers. We do need to find a post. I'm sure Crean can, or he is confident that Camara has grown into a capable post. He's gained 15-20 lbs, I understand. I'm sure Walton will grow into his body a bit, but he's a wing. He's just about perfect for that. I wouldn't count on some of those you mentioned being around next year to man the point. I'm sure 1 or 2 won't be.
StevieBuckets
I have exactly 0 insider information, but I'd be shocked if Hightower chose to stay. I think it's pretty obvious Crean was sending him a message with his minutes (or lack thereof) down the stretch...

We need a point guard. Hard stop. I do trust Crean will find us one.
Monkdawg
Stevie, I agree completely. I don't think there's any question that Crean was sending a message to Hightower. I think other guys have gotten the message as well. That might be why we've faltered down the stretch.
Haney
Sid, had we played the Fox style of slow down, I think we have about 5 more wins potentially, this team doesn't have the guard play to run the system Crean has put in and I think everyone agrees we need a true PG, and I will also say we need a big to go with Clax-and that kid has got to put on some bulk/strength-he is now two years in. His Dad didn't have that problem, Charles was a bigger dude.

I believe Hightower and Toppin will leave, don't see them getting any time next year. I think those are the two spots we have open along with what one more from the SR's departing. I believe next year will be a big turnaround, maybe I am fool but I really do.
Judgedawg
Why do you believe Toppin will leave before next season? I genuinely want to know.
I read somewhere that he has elite athleticism and I wondered if his career would follow the Travis Leslie path; that is, he would take a year for his skills to develop. I personally have no idea and that is why either what I thought about his athleticism was wrong or there was some other issue with him.
blackmountaindawg
Judgedawg said:

Why do you believe Toppin will leave before next season? I genuinely want to know.
I read somewhere that he has elite athleticism and I wondered if his career would follow the Travis Leslie path; that is, he would take a year for his skills to develop. I personally have no idea and that is why either what I thought about his athleticism was wrong or there was some other issue with him.
JoJo might realize he has been "recruited over". Crean has just signed three 4 star guys at same size/position, but with better skills. Taking a year for skills to develop, is a year too late with the talent Crean is starting to bring in. But maybe JoJo wants to get a UGA degree and doesn't mind about being a 4 year reserve, or being available if guys leave early in the next few years.
Drillerman
From their lack of PT over the last 10 games , I wouldn't be surprised if Hightower, Toppins and Sarguinas are ALL gone next year!! They will be helped to transfer to another school unlike when Dennis Felton KICKED Steve Thomas under the bus when he was here! I don't care if he flew to Australia or Tim Buck Too , he was a POS as coach at UGA!! FOX only got OVER $20 MILLION to NEVER WIN a NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME in NINE YEARS when the SEC was as BAD as it HAS EVER BEEN!! TERRIBLE and EXPENSIVE TWOSOME! CREAN is a BREATH OF FRESH AIR IMO!! GO DAWGS!!!
Judgedawg
What does Felton and Fox have to do with Toppin?
SidViciousDawg
Not a damn thing, the epitome of the AWM syndrome, needed to rant it seems.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.