Tom Crean scouting 2019 4* SG Marcus Watson last night

4,674 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by neKKiDawg
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6'6", 205 lbs. prospect from Buford High School and the Georgia Stars 17U. Former UGA Men's Basketball HC Mark Fox offered him on 1 May 2017. Fwiw, he also has offers from Clemson, Florida, Florida Gulf Coast, Georgia Tech, Iowa, LSU, Memphis, Mercer, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, South Florida, Tennessee, Tulane, Virginia Tech, and Xavier.

Watson visited UGA 3x under the former coaching staff. On 21 March 2018 Crean visited him and did so again on Friday night for Watson's Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) game.

Btw, in 6 games this season for the Georgia Stars, he's avg. 15.7 ppg while shooting 37.8% from FG range, 34.5% from 3-pt. range, and 73.3% from the charity stripe. From watching linked video clip he looks pretty athletic:

https://twitter.com/BbalEvv/status/990430006110236672/video/1
dawgpostsucks
dawgpostsucks
Monkdawg
Both of the young men Dan mentioned are important to our program's future. We need them both.
dawgpostsucks
Monkdawg
We need this kid badly.
dawgpostsucks
UGA is 1 of 8 schools he's in regular contact with. Has scheduled visits to Boston College, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Georgia Tech over the next four weekends.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/four-star-marcus-watson-maps-out-four-visits-in-the-next-month
Monkdawg
Have you watched BC? I think the HC is a good coach and gets the most he can out of the team, but they have very little talent. That would be a miserable place to play and get beaten up constantly in the ACC. Rinse and repeat that last sentence for GT. Tx Tech and OK St are pretty solid programs, I suppose, but nothing jumps out at me to make a kid leave GA to go play there. I see there is a family connection to OK St. This kid just looks like a player to me. I think it would come down to either he or King. I favor Watson myself. The guy just has an NBA body. I don't think we can take both. If you add a PG to them, we would not have room for a post. We need at least 1 post in this class. Watson mentions how long some of these programs have been recruiting him. That might put us behind the 8 ball because our staff has only been in Athens a few months. But he does seem made for Crean's system.
dawgpostsucks
Monkdawg said:

Have you watched BC? I think the HC is a good coach and gets the most he can out of the team, but they have very little talent. That would be a miserable place to play and get beaten up constantly in the ACC. Rinse and repeat that last sentence for GT. Tx Tech and OK St are pretty solid programs, I suppose, but nothing jumps out at me to make a kid leave GA to go play there. This kid just looks like a player to me. I think it would come down to either he or King. I favor Watson myself. The guy just has an NBA body. I don't think we can take both. If you add a PG to them, we would not have room for a post. We need at least 1 post in this class.
2017-'18 Men's Basketball:

- Boston College: 19-16 overall, 7-11 ACC
- Georgia Tech: 13-19 overall, 6-12 ACC (note: lost to UGA 80-59 at Stegeman Coliseum on 19 December)
- Oklahoma State: 21-15 overall, 8-10 Big 12
- Texas Tech: 27-10 overall, 11-7 Big 12 (note: finished season ranked #6 in USA Today's Coaches Poll)
- UGA: 18-15 overall, 7-11 SEC
dawgpostsucks
UGA didn't make Watson's cut from 10 to 4 teams:

mac25
Seems like he would fit in best with Texas Tech off that list of his final four
Monkdawg
Damn shame. Of his final 4, GA Tech is a joke. I could see any of the other 3; they are all good programs. Altman is tearing it up at Oregon; Dixon is on the come at TX Tech; and OK St has been pretty solid for awhile.
neKKiDawg
I have no insight as to the UGA staff's "board", but suspect that once Walton committed to us, Watson was moved way down. They seem too similar in size, and we definitely need a PG and at least one 4/5 in this class. It could be 3 signees and a grad transfer.
gritsK9
3 and a grad transfer works. That way we'll have a third next year when otherwise we'll only have 2 to replace just Harrris and Crump,
neKKiDawg
Anyone know of any posts we have a good shot at if we don't get Jared Jones? If he chooses Northwestern or another school, a grad transfer post (strong, seasoned, etc.) might be the way to go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.