Don't want to get too carried away, but

4,084 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Shelt320
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
that was a great first game performance by the Dawgs! 5 guys in double figures, 62 rebounds, 28 assists, 57% from the field... all good numbers. Yes, we could pick apart the TOs and the FT%, but let's just watch the season unfold and see if we can improve on our weaknesses.
neKKiDawg
I hope our Dawgs are as good as some think, but have to think that a lot of the offensive success in that one game has to do with an opponent that runs downs the floor and jacks it up way too quickly, even if bad shots.
begger
Let's see how things go against equal caliber competition.

I like the team, don't get me wrong. I just want to see us play someone we shouldn't stomp.
willpmd
It was certainly more entertaining than most games over the last decade. If nothing else it is enjoyable watching the players have fun and play hard on both ends of the floor
Every man should believe in something, I believe Florida sucks
begger
Absolutely will.
StevieBuckets
Agree. It's really hard to know what, if anything, to take from that game...but it was fun!

Savannah State is like a high school kid playing a video game - dribble, dribble, maybe one pass, jack a 3. Hit a couple free throws and turn the ball over less and we could have had 130 points pretty easily.

A Mark Fox coached team would have beaten them somewhere in the 80-65 range, and that 3-point barrage to start the second half would have been a lot scarier.

Definitely excited to see how this team progresses. Even more excited to see what happens when Crean starts slotting some of his players in there...
Teddybulldawg
What is particularly notable is the confidence that is being instilled in the guys. No more looking over their shoulder at coach wondering what to do next and if they are going to be benched for days.
Monkdawg
Confidence does wonders for a player and a team. Crean has a totally different psychological approach from Fox. It's refreshing.

I'm certainly not saying we are world beaters or are ready to challenge Duke or Kansas, but this will be a fun year, even if our record is no better than last season.
Monkdawg
Oh, I recognize that the opponent and its philosophy played a huge role in our offensive success. No question about it. Still, it was good to see the kids have fun and play with confidence. I enjoy offense. Yes, you have to play defense, but I like that we devote much of our practices to offense. No matter how good your defense is, you still have to outscore your opponent.
Teddybulldawg
The only team that I'm confident that could beat Duke is Golden State.
Shelt320
I'm excited to see basketball at a new level .
Crean will need at least two more years to get the players needed for his system.
Looking forward to a fun season. He's making a foundation for the future. Hope everyone supports the team this year during the good times and bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.