Enjoyed the exhibition game last night

3,715 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Monkdawg
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Much faster pace! 98 pts. (I wouldn't get used to that, but we will average significantly higher than under Fox) is a good start.

It looks like Crump has a new life. 6 3s and not once yanked out of the game for a bad shot or a missed assignment.

A friend of mine had gone to the practice the day before the scrimmage. He said it was full bore the whole time. He said Crean said, "The biggest sin, the worst thing you can do, the thing that will get me mad is if you stop moving." Movement is one thing we had been lacking under Fox. His scheme put people in spots and kept them there. Pretty easy to defend.

Of course, we are just getting started under Crean. We have to get used to the pace. But 26 TOs is unacceptable. Gotta limit those.

Claxton has so many skills. He is gonna be a stat stuffer all year.

This game was a good first start. It's a shame more people weren't there to see it.
StevieBuckets
I enjoyed it as well. I'd take the 98 points with a grain of salt, of course. Last year Fox's team scored 112 in the exhibition. Crean could have done so this year as well...but the game was more about feeling out lineups, as it should have been.

As you correctly point out, the pace was exciting. Hearing a Georgia basketball coach yelling at his players for walking the ball up the court was a strange feeling indeed.

Even ignoring the ones committed by the end-of-the-bench guys, the turnovers were definitely a concern. But also understandable...these guys are learning a style of basketball that is the polar opposite of what they played last year.

A few random observations:
  • I was also disappointed with the low turnout. Hopefully we at least fill the lower bowl next Friday.
  • Claxton is going to be really good, and I think Crean's system will maximize his potential. He looks like a future NBA player to me.
  • Crump got a lot of good looks in the flow of the offense, and he knocked them down. If there was one good omen to take from the game, that, to me, was it.
  • Mike Edwards still has no hands.
  • I'm not sure there's a true point guard on this roster, but it may matter less given the way Crean wants to play. Sargunas may get there, but he's not there yet.
  • I'm not sure any of the newcomers are ready to contribute right away.
  • Jordan Harris was talking $%&# the whole game and helped draw a technical in the second half. So I guess...he's back? Seriously, though, his play may be the biggest wildcard for this team coming into the year.
  • Monk, if your friend was HW, I was literally sitting right behind you, and I overheard him saying the exact same thing. And it seems to be sinking in. The movement and spacing was exciting, even when it resulted in some sloppiness.

I still think this is a two year rebuild, but I remain excited to watch this team play. If we go down, we'll at least go down shooting.
Klesko12
Herb or Herschel
Dawg44
Why isn't Crean smart enough to start Wilridge at the two position? It always worked great for coach Fox.
begger
I'm with y'all in thinking the turnover issue is something we'll have to live with as the team adjust to a faster pace and more open style.

My biggest concern was shooting. West Ga isn't quality competition so can we make shots in tighter spaces? I'm thinking that will be our biggest issue, lack of outside makers.
Monkdawg
Good call. Yes it was Herb. Love getting his input.

On the attendance, I will put it down to the weather, the UK game on the road and that it was just an exhibition. But the fans have to start making the effort. Basketball has to become important to the fans for the program to get any traction.

Claxton has some small flaws in his game, but the guy has NBA written all over him.

A friend of mine thinks Crump is selfish, that's he's just worried about his points. I don't agree. I think he's the only legit perimeter scorer we have. He has to shoot. And when he's hot, he can scorer in bunches.

I cannot believe that in 4 years Edwards couldn't have developed better hands. It's just amazing.

I think Amanze helps us, and I think Ignas can do some good things, too. Heck, Toppin can be good in spots, and Fagan could be a quiet contributor later this year.

Jordan Harris should handle the ball better than he does. If he could straighten out the fact that he gets stripped every time he drives, he could do some great things for UGA.

This is a transition year. We need to be patient. I'm hoping for the middle of the SEC myself.
Monkdawg
Lack of outside shooting has been a weakness of ours for years. Crean will have to recruit his way out of the situation.
StevieBuckets
Not sure how I neglected Ngumezi, but you're right, I do think he will be a solid contributor this year.
Monkdawg
Amanze has far better ball skills and is a more well-rounded player than I thought he was. 6'9", 250 lbs and can handle the ball and shoot from the perimeter. He's going to have a good career in Athens.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.