Roster 5/3/24

793 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Monkdawg
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PG - Demary (still probably need a backup)

SG - Cain, Montgomery, Leffew, Lawrence (should be a very productive group - we were short of guards last year)

SF - Godfrey (combo really) (need a solid 3 still)

PF - James, Newell, Abson

C - Cyril (need a backup)
blackmountaindawg
Leffew was the assist leader last season at MSM with 3.9. Maybe if no point comes aboard, he could give some minutes there.
BallDawg
This might be a hot take, and I understand Leffew had more assists per game at MSM's last year, but I think Montgomery would be a better back up PG if we do not get another PG. I think leffew benefited from from having the ball in his hands more then Montgomery and as a result had more opportunities to get assists, but after BRIEFLY, and stressing briefly and am not a scout, it appears that Montgomery had more playmaking potential and ability as a PG. I think leffew would be a better SG for his scoring ability. His shooting is very good, off the dribble especially, and I would like to see him focus on creating shots for himself and getting a bucket when we need it. My thoughts what do we think?
Monkdawg
Leffew was not only far and away the leading assist man at MSM, he was their leading rebounder, too.
Atowndawg
I feel like we are a PG/Combo, SG/SF, and C away from tourney. I like what we have, but we must keep adding, finding 1-2 more high impact players. We cannot simply add replacement level players to close us out.

Of these remaining roster spots, arguably one needs to be our leading scorer. We also need an athletic difference maker at PG, SG, or SF, a reliable shooter, and a reliable scorer down low. I feel like we have several above average players on the roster (some with even greater potential), but I feel like we lack a true difference maker. If we can get one, we will finally get over the hump with the rest of the roster.

The good news is that the boulder is 4/5th the way up the hill at this point…..we just need to finish strong to see ourselves to the other side for a change.
Big G
I totally agree, there are still good player out there. Still like Sion James and Khani Rooths as possible addictions.
Big G
Kardarius Richmond and Dwon Odom hope gets a look.
Big G
One last name, Trazarien White,awesome player.
Monkdawg
Atowndawg said:

I feel like we are a PG/Combo, SG/SF, and C away from tourney. I like what we have, but we must keep adding, finding 1-2 more high impact players. We cannot simply add replacement level players to close us out.

Of these remaining roster spots, arguably one needs to be our leading scorer. We also need an athletic difference maker at PG, SG, or SF, a reliable shooter, and a reliable scorer down low. I feel like we have several above average players on the roster (some with even greater potential), but I feel like we lack a true difference maker. If we can get one, we will finally get over the hump with the rest of the roster.

The good news is that the boulder is 4/5th the way up the hill at this point…..we just need to finish strong to see ourselves to the other side for a change.
I have a slightly different perspective. I think we need a solid, experienced PG, but not really a "difference maker" per se. Demary can be very good. We do need a very good wing/SF, preferably a starter we can run the floor and shoot at a good %. We could use another experienced post, who doesn't need to be spectacular, just someone who can spell Cyril and come in if he gets in foul trouble. I don't know if Abson can be effective against the big posts in the SEC. I really like that we have beefed up our backcourt. We played last year with only 4 Gs, which is just not enough. 5 or 6 is better.
Atowndawg
I think we can get by with a solid veteran PG, and a serviceable big man who can score, but I feel we really need a difference making SF who can give us 15 a game. I worry about our scoring and not having a veteran go to guy. We played a lot of close games last year that we let slip away because we did not have someone to break a dry spell in games.

I am not sure we are a player in any of their recruitments, but Odom, James, and a stretch four with some bulk would be ideal. If we could add at that level, you'd start to feel confident about being on the other side of the tourney bubble for a change.
Monkdawg
Atowndawg said:

I think we can get by with a solid veteran PG, and a serviceable big man who can score, but I feel we really need a difference making SF who can give us 15 a game. I worry about our scoring and not having a veteran go to guy. We played a lot of close games last year that we let slip away because we did not have someone to break a dry spell in games.

I am not sure we are a player in any of their recruitments, but Odom, James, and a stretch four with some bulk would be ideal. If we could add at that level, you'd start to feel confident about being on the other side of the tourney bubble for a change.

I have heard nothing about us having any interest in Odom, and if I was White, I wouldn't be interested myself. I would be surprised if we haven't at least kicked the James tire, but he may be looking at more prominent programs. I would like to get in on him. I don't see us signing another 4; we already have 4. Another 4 cuts into the minutes for Newell, James, Godfrey, etc. I think a solid backup 5 is the way to go. But word is that we will probably use 1 more scholarship. If only 1 more, then we will probably go with a SF or backup C. White may think we have PG covered. That's why I think James would be ideal.
Atowndawg
Interesting. If we only use one more scholarship, I hope it is for an impactful guy. If they feel they have Gs covered, I hope it is a SF. Only using 11 of the 13 seems Calipari-esqe. We need another big body and scoring piece. Godfrey may be good but he is far from proven. I would hate for us to be short of scoring or depth on the post and SF spots.
Dirteater Dawg
Are we not pursuing more kids after the last spot because we spent all the money on the house and now cannot afford the landscaping?
Monkdawg
Atowndawg said:

Interesting. If we only use one more scholarship, I hope it is for an impactful guy. If they feel they have Gs covered, I hope it is a SF. Only using 11 of the 13 seems Calipari-esqe. We need another big body and scoring piece. Godfrey may be good but he is far from proven. I would hate for us to be short of scoring or depth on the post and SF spots.
Godfrey, while I'm happy to have him, is more of a PF in a SF body. He hasn't really shown the range associated with wings or SFs. I agree that we need a SF, though White has shown an affinity for 3 guard lineups. I don't know that Abson would be an adequate backup for Cyril. I would like at least those 2 spots filled. Ideally, all 3, but White may not intend to do that.
Monkdawg
Dirteater Dawg said:

Are we not pursuing more kids after the last spot because we spent all the money on the house and now cannot afford the landscaping?
Maybe, I don't know. I hear we have a very competitive NIL program, but I'm sure it's not bottomless....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.