Non-basketball - Ethan Quinn,

1,137 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Dawg44
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
our redshirt freshman men's #1 tennis player, won the national championship yesterday in a 3 set match against the #1 for Michigan, who was seeded #8 going into the tourney. Quinn fought off 4 match points in the 2nd set to get the win. Super win for him! He's had a helluva year! I hope we can get him to come back next year and lead our young but talented team. We have the #1 class of 5 coming in next year. Several in the class are legacies, but we also have the #1 ranked junior from the US coming and a kid from Peru ranked in the top 10 in the world. A tremendous class! And congrats to Manny Diaz for helping Quinn get the natty. He's been a great leader for our program for a long, long time....
Microwave
Appreciate the update! I haven't kept up with tennis, but I'm glad to see the program doing well. We have quite a history in that sport.
Monkdawg
I have often said that I think men's tennis is the most successful program we have at UGA....
Nostradawgus
Well Monk the UGA rally cry used to be "Thank God for gymnastics, tennis and horses."

Football has of course replaced gymnastics. The latter being a whole other story.

We're doing quite well in all Spring sports - excepting baseball. And Brooks has once again showed his expectations - for all sports.
Dawg44
Gymnastics just had the number one recruiting class. I bet we start to improve?
Monkdawg
Dawg44 said:

Gymnastics just had the number one recruiting class. I bet we start to improve?
I sure hope so. It would be nice to return to our former level of success....
Monkdawg
Nostradawgus said:

Well Monk the UGA rally cry used to be "Thank God for gymnastics, tennis and horses."

Football has of course replaced gymnastics. The latter being a whole other story.

We're doing quite well in all Spring sports - excepting baseball. And Brooks has once again showed his expectations - for all sports.

Nostra, did you know that the equestrian program takes up 64 scholarships? It mostly balances football for Title IX purposes. As for baseball, I think Brooks will make a good hire. His track record so far is pretty darn good.
Nostradawgus
I did know that. Vince was brilliant in making that call back in the day when Title IX hit. I had also heard that initially - and it may still be this way today - that all the animal infrastructure and related equipment was donated by enthusiastic equestrians. Heard there was little start-up financial outlay beyond the scholarships.

And I'll admit - I get pissy when they don't win the SEC and/or national title. They are so good. And my position is if you are putting the G on your jersey, then winning is the only option. Don't care the sport.

I believe Kupets may be at a crossroads with gymnastics. Not sure what turned around to get the #1 ranked incoming class. But everybody has been veeerrryyyy patient with things. I think the bill is coming due next year for her. That program has just cratered from its past glory..
Dawg44
Maybe we need to fire some horses to win another national title in equestrian?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.