Dawgs land RJ Sunahara

1,232 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Monkdawg
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He was named the Div II POY and won the natty with an undefeated team.

Would not have been my choice, but you could see it coming.

I hope I'm wrong, but this guy, while he may work hard and be a great teammate, isn't what we need. He's not a guard. He's not a SF. He's primarily a PF who scores in the paint - where we will have Tchewa and Deloach. I don't want him cutting into Deloach's and James' PT.
Nostradawgus
Do not understand this. At all. I hope it becomes clear.

Maybe we have another exit coming from our existing forward ranks.

But as I see it, this adds nothing.
dawglegright
At this point, I'm going to trust White knows what he's doing.
Monkdawg
Nostradawgus said:

Do not understand this. At all. I hope it becomes clear.

Maybe we have another exit coming from our existing forward ranks.

But as I see it, this adds nothing.
I don't get it either, but I'll give White the benefit of the doubt. To me, he just gets in the way. I hope I'm wrong. Now, if MA leaves, I get it. But we need a guard bad....
Monkdawg
I'll add this. Everybody is making a big deal out of him being the Div II POY. I don't see anyone in the SEC being particularly concerned about the DIv II POY.
DenmarkDane
He plays the same position as and is better than Moncrief, right? So that's one positive/upgrade.
Monkdawg
DenmarkDane said:

He plays the same position as and is better than Moncrief, right? So that's one positive/upgrade.
It is an upgrade from MA IMO. That is a good thing. Except MA is still on the team. He's gonna want minutes, and if he doesn't get them there could be team chemistry issues. But I hope not. And Sunahara's skills generally overlap with Tchewa, Anselem and Deloach, so the middle could be a bit clogged. I also don't want Sunahara cutting into Dylan James' minutes. James could be really good down the road I think Sunahara can get out and run. It might be interesting to see Deloach and Sunahara on the court together. That's the fastest combo we can probably put on the floor at PF and C, if White means to run.

I think the roster has a lot of versatility. I just wish we had another guard. I do see that a walk-on PG from Athens Academy has been added to the roster. It will be very difficult to make it through the season with only 4 guards.
fladawg59
division 2 poy, undefeated national championship player sounds ok to me.
maybe he fell through the cracks of high school recruiting?
maybe he had a growth spurt?
maybe he is a late bloomer?

which of the forwards are canidates to move over and play the 2 guard?
Monkdawg
Honestly, I don't think the Div. II POY scares any of the Div. I teams we'll be playing. LOL Sunahara went to a prep school out of HS, grew 2 inches and went Div. II. He gradually improved over his 4 years at Nova and became a better player. He also is older than pretty much everyone he played against, which helps. I think he's a back-up PF for us behind Deloach. That's my opinion having only seen him on film a little bit. But White and staff have made some pretty good talent evaluations so far, so they get props for that.

As far as which SFs/wings can play guard, I suppose each of the 3 can at times in certain situations. I just wouldn't want them to play a ton of minutes there because I wouldn't want them to handle the ball much or have to guard SGs too often.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.