2018-'19 Hoop Dawgs freshmen

6,259 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by begger
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dawgpostsucks
Critdawg
Didn't realize ignas was that big.
neKKiDawg
So, what do we know about Jack Herring, who I assume is a walkon?
blackmountaindawg
He was 1st team All-Region in Memphis. But that doesn't mean much unless you know what type of competition was in that region. Could have been a small church school classification. I think Connor O'Neil was also an All-Region player, so we might expect the same contribution from Herring that we get from Connor, a number 14, 15, or 16 player on the bench, and at practice scrimmages.
Monkdawg
He was listed at 6'4", I believe. Looking forward to seeing him play. I'm not sure there is a superstar in this group, but it looks like a solid group to me.
Monkdawg
Yeah, Herring will probably be a solid practice player, good teammate and a fine student.
dawgpostsucks
neKKiDawg said:

So, what do we know about Jack Herring, who I assume is a walkon?
Yes, he's a walk-on. Per linked podcast, Kirby saw Herring (#21, small forward) play in Memphis (Smart was recruiting DL Bill Norton who was Jack's basketball teammate last season at Christian Brothers HS) then recommended him to Tom Crean (who said that Herring is 6'9").

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-yahoo-sports-college-podcast/id1423417914

neKKiDawg
Great info about Herring, AFD! My brother lives in Germantown....I will have to see what he can find out from any CBHS connections. You'd have to think he turned down offers from some smaller schools to take a PWO spot at UGA.
Monkdawg
In that photo, if Herring is 6'9", Ignas must be 6'6" or 6'7". I don't think Ignas is that tall, so I must think Herring is not as tall as some think. But his film is decent.
dawgpostsucks
Monkdawg said:

In that photo, if Herring is 6'9", Ignas must be 6'6" or 6'7". I don't think Ignas is that tall, so I must think Herring is not as tall as some think. But his film is decent.
Ignas is listed as 6'5" on UGA's Basketball roster (https://georgiadogs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3221). While Herring isn't listed on the roster, Crean mentioned during his podcast w/ Pete Thamel that Herring was 6'9" and has meshed well w/ everyone on the team.
neKKiDawg
Here's a little more on Herring....looks like he wanted to go to UGA as a student before some recruiting attention came from smaller schools....

https://www.prephoops.com/2017/12/jack-herring-recruiting-update-2018/
Monkdawg
Even so, there's not 4 inches difference between them, it wouldn't appear.
blackmountaindawg
What is the story on Bill Norton? Is not listed on georgia.com FB roster.

Nevermind. I see he is in the 2019 class. I thought he was in the same class as his buddy, Herring.
blackmountaindawg
Anyone know why walkon Jack Herring is no longer on the team?
Monkdawg
I noticed that, too. Haven't heard why.
begger
Seeing him on the floor, Ignas looks every bit of 6'5.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.