Another loss

1,994 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Joesock2
dawg212003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This team will be lucky to win 1 single SEC game.
REDdawg12
Up 1 at halftime and will end up losing by 20. Pathetic.
SidViciousDawg
They could at least put some effort in to try and cover the 15 point line

Dawg44
I thought we lost by 16?
Monkdawg
dawg212003 said:

This team will be lucky to win 1 single SEC game.
This team won't win much with little production from Bridges (3 pts) and Cook (4 pts). They have to give us points. Plus, MSU had 15 more shots than we did. Part of that was a product of our 15 TOs. Our team did not look very motivated down the stretch. Kudos to Oquendo for his career high in a losing cause. The Molinar kid is really tough.
SidViciousDawg
I'm afraid this team won't win much with production from Cook and Bridges, but I still think we win 2 or so somewhere along the line. Bridges has played as well as he's capable up to this point. I see him averaging 8 pts in SEC play, not the 12 pts he's averaging to date.

Saturday vs Vandy will be one of our best chances at a W, but Vandy will be the favorite in Athens.

REDdawg12
Dawg44 said:

I thought we lost by 16?

Round up.
SidViciousDawg
REDdawg12 said:

Dawg44 said:

I thought we lost by 16?

Round up.

Your prediction was one helluva lot closer than Dawg44 or these others that somehow convinced themselves our roster was improved this year.
Dawg44
It was better.That team last year was very inconsistent. Those two injuries have hurt us. But watching the first half's of the last two games has been fun. It's a shame we can't play a whole game like that. But I'm very happy for you Sid. Losing and firing coaches is excellent.
Monkdawg
Very few teams have sufficient talent to lose to injury 2 of their best players....
StevieBuckets
I recall Coach Crean saying in one of the postgame interviews shortly after Ingram went down that the players "were going to have to learn how to defend without Jailyn on the floor."

He may have had a point: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/georgia/2022-gamelogs.html

I'm not claiming our defense was elite before he went down, or that we were going to "go on a run", or anything like that, and I know statements that come across as excuse-making on Crean's behalf go over poorly these days. But even considering the competition, going from holding all opponents but one below .500 shooting to allowing all teams to shoot near or above .500 (WCU's .419 has been the lowest since the injury) is pretty shocking.

That injury may very well have been what broke this (already dying) camel's back...
SidViciousDawg
This team was never gonna be better than last years. We were the unanimous pick for last place before those injuries to a couple of average, SEC talent wise, players. Tom Crean is 5-11 this year and 14-43 in the SEC since his arrival. And you two wanna say injuries to PJ Horne and Jailyn Ingram are the excuse?? Y'alls defense of Tom Crean while constantly minimizing what the previous Staff and true Dawgs accomplished here prior to Crean wrecking the program is laughable.

StevieBuckets
You badly misread my comment (as I feared you would). Saying anything other than "Tom Crean is the worst coach in GA history" around here triggers people.

This team wasn't going to compete in the SEC. He needs to go. I agree with all of that.

My only point was that the loss of Ingram seems to have had a very real effect, and the statistics bear that out. It probably took us from an already paltry 3-4 SEC wins down to 0...
SidViciousDawg
StevieB… I hadn't even read your post when I typed that
Believe me, you are nowhere in that group of "y'all's" or the "two of you" There are four in that group, 2 of which rarely post anymore but occasionally pop in…
BIGKNINE1
When a school team (Basketball) can't even put someone in charge of keeping us informed of wins and loses and keep record of games played or left, it is time to find another sport and try at it. How about switching men basketball for men soccer.
TKramer15
Your rational take is welcomed.

Neither Horne nor Ingram is a star. Even with perfect health, it's true that this new Georgia team was going to struggle to win many games, particularly within the cutthroat SEC. Those are fairly undeniable objective assessments.

However, I don't think most fans and social media pundits understand how difficult it is for ANY team to lose a starter and their direct backup. In this case, Horne and Ingram were probably closer to a 1A and 1B. Either could start. Georgia lost significant strength and bulk, which has not coincidentally shown up most in interior defense and rebounding.

I talk about how margins are so small at this level of college basketball. Many people don't understand. The final scores of the UK and Miss St games ended up being fairly lopsided, which led most to think "Well, Georgia got blown out. They're not even close."

In both cases, Georgia was highly competitive for a half or more, but its lack of interior size/strength eventually did them in. You could visibly see it happening in both games. Do Horne and Ingram combine to allow Georgia to beat UK and/or Miss St.? I have no idea. In the case of UK, probably not. But you have to believe that their presence would negate a few offensive rebounds and a few baskets. On the other end of the floor, their presence would give Georgia options that it doesn't currently have. So the net effect is potentially significant.

What I've learned is that most people either don't care about these things or they believe that a good coach can overcome most injuries. Duke or Gonzaga or Kentucky or Kansas, etc. are surely in better position to overcome injuries, but I guarantee you that those teams would have problems overcoming the loss of a starter and a nearly equivalent backup. Georgia is probably not going to be in such a position.
edog
You have to admit that our 21/22 roster lacks the talent and depth of Creans previous teams.Also, ask yourself who is on board for next year. Recruiting is abysmal. Just like football a few years ago, we need Johnny's and Joe's. Bring on Jonas.
Joesock2
If you know anyone who is interested in buying Georgia Bulldog memorabilia, I have some for sell!! I can send pics via email(taviasturner@yahoo.com) and/or text(706-607-6229)
Joesock2
If you know anyone who is interested in buying Georgia Bulldog memorabilia, I have some for sell!! I can send pics via email(taviasturner@yahoo.com) and/or text(706-607-6229)
Joesock2
Joesock2
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.