Ridgnal

5,655 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Joesock2
dawg212003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://georgiadogs.com/news/2021/7/2/mens-basketball-ridgnal-named-junior-college-male-athlete-of-the-year.aspx
SidViciousDawg
Whoever is responsible for that headline gets a big fat "F".
There's a more than a little difference in "Ridgnal Named Male Junior College Player of the Year" and the actuality of being named: The Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission Male Junior college Player of the Year.
Fat Doc 18
I agree with impression about the misleading statement; however, I am very hopeful about his being a two-time AA and the leading player on a national runner-up team. Also, his scoring and rebounding #'s are at least encouraging.
Does anyone remember questioning the ability of Tim Bassett to compete in the SEC? I know I had my doubts, especially about his level of competition.
SidViciousDawg
Ridgnal was a first team AA (top 10) juco last year and a 3rd team AA the year before. Not bad, but I'm not sure he's a real game changer for us. The fact he had no other High Major offers besides Georgia is telling. Several players are going to need to surprise if we're to compete at all.

I'm not sure who we can count on to give us double figure scoring out of this bunch. We don't need Horne being our leading scorer. We have Ingram (12.5 FAU), JAR who was highly ranked out of HS but his season high was playing 11 minutes in a game last year for UVA, Bridges started 3 games for UIC last year and averaged 10.1, Baumann averaged 3.6 for USC and Cook who played 13 minutes and averaged 4.2 for the Zags. No way Ingram or Bridges numbers hold from what they did in CUSA or Horizon. Can Cook, Baumann or JAR come to the SEC and breakout into double figure scorers after average 4, 3 and 1 last season? Serious work to be done for sure.

Bulldawg1
No one recruited Dennis Rodman - only 1 man gave him a chance. Just bc big schools don't recruit you doesn't mean you're 100% not going to be good enough. Players have been proving that wrong for years.
SidViciousDawg
Yep, there's one example from over the years. We need 3 or 4 like that to emerge this year for us to sniff .500.

Returnees are lacking PJ Horne our best?
Incoming Freshman Class 3 Stars Wright, McDowell & Baker
Underwhelming
Portal Transfers I don't see a double figure scorer this year
in the bunch. Ingram or Cook likely our best bets.
JUCO Ridgnal & Oquendo are facing huge leaps in
competition from what they faced last year at Cowley and
Florida Southwestern St.

I can't recall a team without a player or two that you are confident will give you 10+. We need multiple surprises. Cook, Ingram, Ridgnal, Oquendo, JAR, Baumann with the returning Horne are our best bets for minutes. We will be predicted 13th or 14th but let's play the games and see how it goes. Crean's teams at UGA have shown little effort or results on the defensive end, couple that with losing the offense of Wheeler, Johnson and Camara; and some wanna claim we're better off. Nope, we'd be much better off with any one of those guys on this team.
blackmountaindawg
We will have a much better 3 pt shooting team, which Crean's style requires, in '21-22. Better athletes also. Anyone thinking the '20-21' team is better and could beat the 21'22' team, shouldn't be embarrassing themselves by trying to "evaluate" and predict next year's UGA team.
SidViciousDawg
blackmountaindawg said:

We will have a much better 3 pt shooting team, which Crean's style requires, in '21-22. Better athletes also. Anyone thinking the '20-21' team is better and could beat the 21'22' team, shouldn't be embarrassing themselves by trying to "evaluate" and predict next year's UGA team.

If you're that confident with your own evaluation/prediction of talent, there will be lots of money to be made along the way if this team were to win 8 or more SEC games. Forgo the points if you're that confident, there will be plenty of 3-1 or 4-1 opportunities in conference straight up. But what do they know?
dawg212003
Damn. Here I thought I was the Debbie downer. I can't even hold a candle.
Fat Doc 18
It is an interesting time on Hoop Dawgs. "I hate Fox"; "I hate Crean"; "The sky is falling "; "rainbows and unicorns "; "Let's just wait and see ".
Anyone of us will be right, half-right, wrong, or half-wrong.
It's like a boxing match- I wouldn't want to be in the ring, but it sure is fun to watch.
SidViciousDawg
Last year we had 24.1 pts returning (Wheeler, Camara, Fagan, Brown) and 30.6 pts transferring in (Horne, Garcia, Kier), plus 4* KD coming in as a frosh. That was 54.7 returning points plus KD. It was reflected in our results as we won 7 in conference. Not great but at least the low water mark for which we fired the last coach.

This year we have 11.8 pts returning (Horne, Etter) and 31.3 transferring in (Ingram, Bridges, JAR, Cook, Baumann). That equals 43.1 returning D1 points. The problem is 22.6 of these points are Ingram's and Bridges. Numbers from CUSA & Horizon are not going to holdup in the SEC. Couple that with the weakest incoming freshman class of Crean's tenure and it doesn't bode well. Meanwhile, we had 53.8 points enter the portal (Camara, Wheeler, Fagan, Johnson, Brown).
Our top 4 scorers left the program!!

I live west of Georgia so I'm inundated with AU/UA hoops. I NEVER pull for either, can't stand Pearl or Oats. We are waaaay behind them, and everybody else in the league, in talent for the upcoming season.

Here's the kicker. There's another school over here that has 48.6 returning points and then raped the portal for another 55.6. That's 104.2 returning D1 points. And, these kids aren't from UIC. They're from Auburn, Ole Miss, Tulane, South Alabama, South Florida and a former Big East Freshman of the Year for Georgetown who played at LSU last year. Several of these players mention UGA also reached out to them. So not only are AU/UA eating our lunch but now UAB.

So yeah, when I see BS spouted bout our squad being much improved, I'm calling it what it is. Nonsense!! We are a lock to be picked 13th or 14th by the writers and coaches for the upcoming season. Of course we can hope we do better than that but it is very, very unlikely.
SidViciousDawg
Torvik just updated his Team Rankings for 2022. We are #228. That is seventy-two slots behind the next lowest SEC School. Ten schools are in the top 77 (Vandy), then:
S Car is #120
Mizzou #139
T A&M #156
Georgia #228, a couple of slots behind Georgia Southern

Talk about embarrassing themselves with predictions and their evaluation of talent
dawglegright
I am happy to see a change myself.

We may lose every game, but at least it will be a new look and not the same old brick layers shooting 3s and free throws.

Also, the Crean era is worth every loss simply because it means Foxy is not the coach now.

If Crean doesn't win this year, maybe the next coach will.
SidViciousDawg
I'll agree right now it was "Foxy's" fault we didn't have maybe three more NCAA appearances. We had some damn good teams and players there three or four years running. Gerald, Nemi, Marcus, Kenny, Charles, Yante, Ogbeide, JJ, etc played some good ball. Always one game short it seemed and that's on the coach.

I'm old school in that like to see kids grow and improve over 4 years and leave with a degree.

Problem with losing all those bricklayers is they (SW, TC, KD,TF) combined for 49.5 points a game. Ingram, JAR, Baumann and Cook combined for 21.2.

dawglegright
Maybe Crean will adjust for the lack of scoring by beating teams 49-48 if he can wake the echos of Foxy. If not, we can all become temporary UAB fans until Crean is fired.
Monkdawg
Personally, I think it is not fair to take shots at the team without ever having seen them play. Once they start playing, I can be as critical as they come. But this our team, and Crean is our coach. I'm not going to root for UGA to lose just because I don't like a coach. And I'm not going to predict they will lose until I see them play. Your comparison of the points we're are losing to the points we are gaining is lazy and lacks context. Cook played behind a lottery pick and was very productive at SIU. Baumann likewise was very productive at Long Beach St. before playing for a coach at USC that didn't play him. JAR was tremendously productive in HS but played for a coach that highly values experience because of his defensive-mindedness. Bridges was productive as a freshman under McClain, but the coaching change left him in the cold. We don't yet know how these guys will mesh for Crean. I see potential there; you choose to degrade the team. I think it's too early for that.

How were these predictions from last year? UT winning the conference; BJ Boston as freshman of the year; Bama not in the top 25; UGA predicted 13th (we finished 10th). Predictions mean nothing. Just a way to get people to talk. 30-40 games into the last NBA season, I wouldn't have given a plug nickel for the Hawks chances. They finish in 5th in the East just barely out of 4th. Predictions are meaningless.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/sec-expert-picks-2020-21-preview-loaded-tennessee-to-get-back-on-track-tops-rebuilding-kentucky/
Nostradawgus
I'm treating it all like Christmas. We got a bunch of wrapped presents under the tree. I may get a new game system or G.I. Joe with the Kung fu grip, or it may be socks and underwear. But I'm going to open them before I throw away the boxes and wrapping.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."
SidViciousDawg
Monkdawg said:

Personally, I think it is not fair to take shots at the team without ever having seen them play. Once they start playing, I can be as critical as they come. But this our team, and Crean is our coach. I'm not going to root for UGA to lose just because I don't like a coach. And I'm not going to predict they will lose until I see them play. Your comparison of the points we're are losing to the points we are gaining is lazy and lacks context. Cook played behind a lottery pick and was very productive at SIU. Baumann likewise was very productive at Long Beach St. before playing for a coach at USC that didn't play him. JAR was tremendously productive in HS but played for a coach that highly values experience because of his defensive-mindedness. Bridges was productive as a freshman under McClain, but the coaching change left him in the cold. We don't yet know how these guys will mesh for Crean. I see potential there; you choose to degrade the team. I think it's too early for that.

How were these predictions from last year? UT winning the conference; BJ Boston as freshman of the year; Bama not in the top 25; UGA predicted 13th (we finished 10th). Predictions mean nothing. Just a way to get people to talk. 30-40 games into the last NBA season, I wouldn't have given a plug nickel for the Hawks chances. They finish in 5th in the East just barely out of 4th. Predictions are meaningless.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/sec-expert-picks-2020-21-preview-loaded-tennessee-to-get-back-on-track-tops-rebuilding-kentucky/

Seriously? It's the off season and this is an opinion board. You can say we've greatly improved our roster and I can say that I believe that is pure idiocy. The talent out versus talent in this year is a very wide gap. It just is, there's no way around it. Can this bunch and Crean somehow shock all prognosticators and get to .500 in league? I don't think there's a remote possibility but I'll damn sure be pulling for the guys in red/black.

And, just stop with the "rooting for UGA to lose" nonsense. Talk about lazy, that's incredibly weak. I've followed the Dawgs to 12 different SEC Arenas and attended 24 SEC Tournaments over the years. I will admit Crean's first year of 2-16 and the expanded tourney has broken me of that habit. I have not been the last three years.

Cook was the 3rd point guard for the Zags and played 11 minutes and averaged 4pts. He's good, he may average 10 but Wheeler's way better. So Cook was better at SIU and Baumann was better at LBSU, not surprising but still they averaged 4 & 3 last year. If JAR is healthy, I'm picking him to lead us in scoring, a huge jump from his 0.9 last year but I'd take Camara every day. Bridges will barely contrubute. We went from three potential ALL-SEC players to zero.

Predictions are meaningless?? Did you not notice the team predictions in that article? Five of the top six made the tournament-AS PREDICTED- the only miss was Kentucky out and Mizzou in. A team being predicted #227 some 70 slots behind the next lowest SEC team is in serious trouble and I sincerely feel HTC has done a horrible job. OH WELL!!!
Monkdawg
Well, whoop de doo.... You have gone to games and tournaments. Big deal. What do you want - a pat on the back? A participation trophy? What I know is that none of that makes your opinion on basketball worth any more or less than anyone else's. You cannot possibly know that the talent we lost is better than the talent we have brought in. Recruiting ranking do not always equal talent. You haven't seen 1 minute of this team playing live, nor have I. I try to look at positives, at potential, at how the pieces could fit together; you, however, are perpetually negative. Reminds me of another poster on another board.... I will withhold judgment on the team until I can actually lay eyes on them. This season is not a fait accompli. That's why they play the games.
SidViciousDawg
Yep, I've been to games (100's) and tournaments (dozens) and one thing is for sure, I've damn sure never pulled for the Dawgs to lose.
Monkdawg
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger....
fladawg59
I am going to make a very bold prediction.
we will be better than #228.
we will easily crack the top 200.

do not let cook's 11 minutes fool you.
he was playing behind three of the top ten guards in the country.
he played very productively when in.

at this point we have no choice but to support this team and see what happens.
if we end up last in sec its time for crean to go. losing all four key guys seems unforgivable
but it happened almost everywhere.

i am fairly certain we will have a losing record in the sec but it has never been more interesting
to see how the season will play out.
who plays ?
who scores?
what style of play?
how the team meshes?
does crean have a master plan?
will there be another mass exodus?

three more predictions.
1. cook will be the leading scorer
2. if horne is the leading scorer we have a huge problem.
3. sec record 6-12

SidViciousDawg
fladawg59 said:

I am going to make a very bold prediction.
we will be better than #228.
we will easily crack the top 200.

do not let cook's 11 minutes fool you.
he was playing behind three of the top ten guards in the country.
he played very productively when in.

at this point we have no choice but to support this team and see what happens.
if we end up last in sec its time for crean to go. losing all four key guys seems unforgivable
but it happened almost everywhere.

i am fairly certain we will have a losing record in the sec but it has never been more interesting
to see how the season will play out.
who plays ?
who scores?
what style of play?
how the team meshes?
does crean have a master plan?
will there be another mass exodus?

three more predictions.
1. cook will be the leading scorer
2. if horne is the leading scorer we have a huge problem.
3. sec record 6-12

Let's go with where I agree with you:
1. We'll be better than #228 and in the top #200
2. Cook is good (I stated this above) and I have him averaging 10 or so. I'm going with JAR as our leading scorer with Ingram right with him. Still they are a sizable step down from Wheeler, Camara and Johnson.
3. I agree about Horne, if he's our leading scorer we're in deep trouble.
4. A little early for predictions but 6-12 is my high water mark. I'll say 4-14. So we're not that far apart.

The only glaring inaccuracy is "losing all four key guys seems unforgivable but it happened almost everywhere." That's nowhere close to factual. Did anyone else have their top four scorers jump in the portal? It's us and us alone.

This FS article I'm referencing is about a month old so it didn't even include KD's departure and they listed the top three winners in the portal as Auburn, Minnesota and Florida. The top three losers listed are Georgia, Utah and Arizona. With KD added to the departed we are solidly number 1 on that list of "losers in the portal"; which compares transfers in versus transfers out.

Lastly, I agree wholeheartedly "we have no choice but to support this team and see where it goes."
fladawg59
you are correct about it not happening everywhere like uga.
we were decimated.
most schools were just beat up.
this incoming crop has to save creans job.

where did these guys end up going?
kier?
garcia?
brown?
walton?
SidViciousDawg
Kier - Arizona
Garcia- Kent St
Brown- Tenn St
Walton- Shelton JC
fladawg59
thats impressive for kier.
incredible how far our four star guys fell. (brown and walton)
they were rated higher than wheeler and camara.
sounds like a good fit for garcia.
Monkdawg
Arizona fired their coach and is scrambling to put together a roster. Kier may do well there, but that team likely won't do much. Garcia should be solid at Kent St.; that's a good level for him. As I have said before, losing Brown and Walton, among others, is no loss. They just weren't good enough to play at our level, despite what their ratings were. Our losses, perhaps regrettable in some cases, are not irreplaceable. The only losses that mean anything were Wheeler, Camara, KD and Fagan. Every loss is explainable, and I wouldn't call them crippling.
dawg212003
Are we completely done with the roster? I know there was talk about a post player.
SidViciousDawg
Arizona's new coach is a 20 year assistant of Few's from Gonzaga. They are currently picked 3rd in the Pac12 and #35 nationally (UGA #230 currently) Kier is projected to contribute 9 points a game for the Wildcats.

Having guys land at Kentucky, Auburn, Dayton, Ole Miss, Arizona and Kent St speaks pretty highly of each individuals talent.
Monkdawg
There is still a player out there we might be able to get. It will have to happen soon.
Monkdawg
We shall see....
Monkdawg
Well, Cisse to OK St.
SidViciousDawg
blackmountaindawg said:

Watcha say now BMD?? There's a lot of good reading on here. Monk, Driller, Dawg44 & others were so offended that I predicted we'd go 8-5 pre-conference and 3-15 in conference. Turns out I was overly optimistic.
Monkdawg
SidViciousDawg said:

blackmountaindawg said:

Watcha say now BMD?? There's a lot of good reading on here. Monk, Driller, Dawg44 & others were so offended that I predicted we'd go 8-5 pre-conference and 3-15 in conference. Turns out I was overly optimistic.
We have had 2 pretty big injuries since then. Who knows what would have happened had we had a healthy roster....
SidViciousDawg
We'd likely be 8-5 instead of 5-8 and still headed towards an epically disastrous SEC season.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.