2019 3* SG Chase Hunter, a legacy UGA target, committed to Clemson

7,662 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Critdawg
dawgpostsucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6'3", 180 lbs. prospect from Westlake HS in Atlanta, GA (and Atlanta Express AAU). Fwiw, he also has offers from Auburn, Clemson, DePaul, FGCU, Georgia State, Houston, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, UAB, VCU, and Wake Forest.

In 43 varsity games, he's avg. 11.2 ppg, 1.7 apg, 3.5 rpg, 1.8 spg, and 0.1 bpg. He's made 40% of his FG attempts, 27% of his 3-pt. attempts, and 64% of his FT attempts.

dawgpostsucks
neKKiDawg
I have been wondering who our first 2019 commit will be.

Chase Hunter may be the guy.....legacy recruit in more ways than one. His offer sheet certainly makes it appear that coaching staffs are higher on him than recruiting services are.
blackmountaindawg
"He's made 40% of his FG attempts, 27% of his 3-pt. attempts, and 64% of his FT attempts."

Offer must be just a "legacy offer". Don't see much from his stats to justify an offer at this point, other than being a legacy.
Critdawg
He's had a great summer. There will be more offers coming.
dawgpostsucks
Monkdawg
I tend to agree BMD. We have much bigger fish potentially in the '19 class. I wonder if this is a committable offer right now. It might be more like Toppin's or Houston Kessler's offer. If we don't get X, Y, or Z, then you can commit. Though I will say that offer list is getting pretty good. Still, we have a ton of good SGs that we have a shot with in this class.
Critdawg
Critdawg
Virginia just offered.
Monkdawg
That's telling....
Critdawg
Michigan state just offered Hunter
Monkdawg
Sounds like the services need to re-grade the kid.
dawgpostsucks
begger
That is a strong top 5. All top level programs.
blackmountaindawg
Evidently his summer performance exceeded his high school numbers. Hope so!
neKKiDawg
Most of the HS numbers being posted are cumulative. Many factors probably come into play.....is a FR much smaller and tentative, is he on a stacked team loaded with SRs & JRs where he doesn't get much PT, etc.? If I'm not mistaken, Jeremy Lamb hadn't done much (stat-wise) before his SR year of HS. He had a great AAU summer between his JR & SR seasons and many teams were offering. Unfortunately, we didn't get him, but he didn't stay in college for 4 years and has had a good NBA career (shooting from memory here and not studying his stats).
dawgpostsucks
Monkdawg
Pretty athletic kid.
dawgpostsucks
Darron Rogers: "Chase is the most athletic D-1 guard that I've had. Just a freak of nature athlete."

Chase plans to commit to 1 of his top 5 schools in September or October per linked article.

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2018/08/freak_of_nature_athlete_chase.html
Monkdawg
"I've been following Georgia all my life." Says he will pick the best school for him, but Mama's calling. Hard to turn her down....
dawgpostsucks
Critdawg
Lot of folks think Clemson.
neKKiDawg
Sounds like instead of mama calling, it's the "orange-headed stepchild" calling. I certainly don't keep up with Clem's roster or commitments. All 3 of our signees or commitments since the new staff was hired have all been combo or shooting guards, so the position Hunter plays is not a position of need for us. We need bigs and a true PG more than anything at this point.
Monkdawg
I don't think you can ever have enough athletic, scoring wings. We could get by in this class with 1 PG, 2 wings and a post. Not sure whether Crean thinks he needs 5 potential posts on his roster. 4 may be enough for him. You can always play a smaller line-up that presses and runs and shoots 3s.
dawgpostsucks
Critdawg said:

Lot of folks think Clemson.
http://www.goupstate.com/sports/20180822/clemson-in-position-to-land-georgia-guard-wednesday
Monkdawg
Yeah, the ACC churns out a lot of NBA players, but not many from Clemson. And that stuff about Clemson getting out and running.... I haven't noticed that. I wouldn't consider that their style of play.
dawgpostsucks
Chase committed to Clemson:

Critdawg
If you want to go get your ass beat at Clemson then good luck to you. The assistant he likes is going to leave.

He really benefited from playing with Edwards this summer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.