Anybody catch the game in Charlotte?

2,128 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rossvilledog
Nostradawgus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some of the individual stats were impressive and encouraging but have a shadow of concern with the difficulty it putting away a mid level mid major, and of course the turnovers.
StevieBuckets
I was there.

Take any stats and the final score with a grain of salt. It was exhibition, of course. Jordan Harris barely played at all, and as is true in most games that don't count, Crean was playing with lineups. When Georgia decided late they wanted to win, they won.

There are concerns though. The turnovers, yes, and some atrocious defense at the rim - both things we saw too much of last year. Anthony Edwards was interesting, too. He scored the first two points, picked up two quick fouls, and then looked completely disinterested for the rest of the first half. I found myself wondering what all the fuss was about...until a couple explosive plays in the second half. As with the rest of the team, when he decided to engage, Charlotte had no answer.

You know who has me the most intrigued, though? Sahvir Wheeler. He is small, yes, but he got to the basket consistently...something no one on the team did last year.

Ultimately I walked out having enjoyed the game and feeling like I learned very little about the team. They're young. They're small (our "big man" Ngumezi had a very tough night that finished with a mini-meltdown on the bench while talking to an assistant). They're going to make mistakes. I doubt they'll sniff the tournament. But Edwards and company will be fun to watch for stretches, and there is a nice talent base to build on.
Monkdawg
I hate to hear that about Ngumezi. I had hoped he had matured and gotten past his petulant attitude issues. Apparently not. This kind of stuff was a pretty frequent occurrence last year. He has talent, but he is nearly uncoachable. If he keeps this stuff up, he won't be around next year.
Dawg44
He had a big meltdown with the coaching staff at the first exhibition game too. I predict he doesn't make it through this season.
rossvilledog
Thanks Stevie. I'm glad you were able to go
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.