So, 'college football is not fair!' lol Do you agree?

2,635 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoCalTrojanDawg
Darindawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I read this article about a bunch of media folks whining that CFB is not a 'fair' sport anymore. Sorry, I can't find it to post it here, but in short....We have a 4 team playoff for 130 teams and the whole cfb world now is ruled by an elite half a dozen teams with the rest just left to settle for consolation prize bowls and mediocrity. Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio St. and Oklahoma basically rule the universe now. There are a few teams just barely on the outside....Notre Dame, Penn St., LSU, Auburn, USC and a couple of more. And nothing look like its going to change. Look at the recruiting....we played 20+ true and RS freshmen against the Gamecocks! So the rich just keep getting richer and gobbling up the HS talent and everybody else has to pick from the leftovers.

So in their eyes, it's just going to eventually get to the point that folks will lose interest. Nobody can compete and it'll just turn into a yawn-fest with Clemson, the Buckeyes and the Sooners showing up in the playoffs to play the winner of the Bama UGA game in the SECC and occasionally, Notre Dame or Penn St will sneak in.

So, are they right? Does the p/o need expanding to include more chances? Does there need to be some sort of limitations put on recruiting to give everybody else a chance?

My personal opinion is, stop whining about it and get the right coach that knows how to recruit and coach up players and start winning games and their conference. We suffered through years of mediocrity with MR, now we got the right guy. KS cannot be the ONLY guy out there that knows what to do. True, we have an advantage of being in a state with a lot of talent, but there is a LOT of kids in this state that can play football. We might be getting the pick of the litter, but there are some good kids and us and Bama can't get all of them. Go to Texas, go to California, go to Florida and get some talent and start winning games. And before the opponents of this say, 'Easy for you to say....your team is on top.' It wasn't easy to say that for years. But now we have the right combination. But now we do...but it wasn't easy...nothing ever is.

Thoughts?
dawgpostsucks
Only 4 of 130 (i.e., 3.1%) Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) programs make the College Football Playoffs each year; none of them have been from Group of 5 Conferences. Now compare that to the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) where 24 of 125 (i.e., 19.1%) programs make the playoffs. If high schools and FCS (formerly Division I-AA) programs make expanded playoffs work, then so can FBS. Instead of having 35 FBS teams participate in meaningless bowl games (outside of the 3 playoff games), adopt the FCS model where the top 8 conference champions have automatic playoff berths (and first round bye weeks), then add the next 16 highest rated FBS programs to the playoffs.

FCS playoff model:
- Round 1 (16 teams play 8 games [regionally matchups to promote attendance]; 8 conference champions have bye weeks)
- Round 2 (16 teams [Round 1 winners vs. conference champions] play 8 games)
- Round 3 (8 teams play 4 games)
- Round 4 (4 teams play 2 games)
- Round 5 (2 teams play for the national championship)

Each playoff game could be sponsored by a bowl. That would account for 21 of the current 35 bowl games. For those that don't make the 24-team playoff, let the remaining bowls select which 28 teams to play in their 14 bowl games. Therefore, 52 FBS programs (i.e., 40%) would participate in postseason action.

Since the 2018 SEC Championship Game is on 1 December, this is a strawman schedule of how the FBS playoffs could work:

- Round 1 games on 8 December (automatic byes for top 8 conference champions)
- Round 2 games on 15 December
- Round 3 quarterfinal games on 22 December
- Round 4 semifinal games on 29 December
- Round 5 national championship game on 5 January (note: UGA's 2019 Spring Semester Classes begin on 9 January, thus football student-athletes won't miss any school)
RedDawg
Darindawg said:

So in their eyes, it's just going to eventually get to the point that folks will lose interest.
Folks lose interest? Yeah right. That's hilarious.
SoCalTrojanDawg
AirForce, I like your analysis very much....makes a lot of sense to me on how to make it very "fair". Good job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.