Story Poster
Photo by Ryan Kerley / Dawg Post

UGA Football QB Carson Beck Named Davey O’Brien Award Semifinalist

November 14, 2023
3,150

Real Georgia Fans Don’t Miss the Dawg Post Newsletter - Sign up now!

ATHENS - UGA Football junior quarterback Carson Beck has been named one of 20 Davey O’Brien Award semifinalists, according to a Davey O’Brien Foundation announcement Tuesday.

Beck is one of five Southeastern Conference signal callers on this year’s list.  Stetson Bennett was a semifinalist for the Davey O’Brien in 2021 and 2022.

Beck, a native of Jacksonville, Fla., has completed 231 of 320 passes for 3,022 yards and 18 touchdowns during his first season starting for the Bulldogs.  He is on a school record pace for completion percentage and his 72.2 current mark is ranked sixth nationally.



2024 Dawg Post Recruiting Guide Included Free

Reserve Your Copy of DOUBLE DAWGS NOW!

 


The next step in the process will be to select the award’s three finalists.  The finalists will again be chosen based on voting from the Davey O’Brien National Selection Committee as well as bonus ballots awarded from the second round of the Davey O’Brien Fan Vote.

For the fourth straight year, the Fan Vote will take place on the award’s three social media platforms—Facebook, Instagram and Twitter (X)—and the top five vote getters on each platform will receive bonus committee member ballots which will be added to the votes cast by the National Selection Committee.

To participate in the Fan Vote, fans must like the original Davey O’Brien Award post highlighting their quarterback.  The second round will be open until Friday, Nov. 24 at 1 p.m. ET.  The three finalists will be tabbed on Tuesday, Nov. 28, while the winner will be announced live on Friday, Dec. 8, on The Home Depot College Football Awards on ESPN.

The No. 2 (CFP) Bulldogs (10-0, 7-0 SEC) travel to Knoxville, Tenn., to face No. 13 Tennessee (7-3, 3-3) on Saturday.  CBS will televise the matchup at 3:30 p.m. ET.  SEC Nation will also make the trip to Tennessee’s campus.


Eko Poly - Perfect for the backyard, beach or lake

Use the code: “DAWG15” to get 15% off & FREE Shipping! 

20-Year Warranty | Made in Georgia



Series Flashback: Bulldogs Wins Historic Meeting On Dooley Field

The 2022 contest in Athens marked the first 1-2 (Associated Press ranking) matchup in Dooley Field at Sanford Stadium history and was just the third ever top five matchup. The Bulldogs, No. 1 in the polls but No. 3 in the initial CFP rankings, faced off against Tennessee who was No. 1 in the CFP. Along with CBS broadcasting the game, ESPN College GameDay and SEC Nation were all in Athens. Georgia emerged with a 27-13 victory. UT entered the contest ranked No. 1 in the county in points per game (49.4). Georgia’s defense limited them to 289 yards on 75 plays.

The Bulldogs lead the all-time series with UT 27-23-2 including winning the past six meetings. This is the longest streak of Bulldog success in the series. The Bulldogs are 6-1 against the Vols under Kirby Smart, the lone defeat coming in 2016 on a Hail-Mary by Josh Dobbs in Athens. He completed a 43-yarder to Jauan Jennings as time expired to lift No. 11 Tennessee past No. 25 Georgia 34-31.

Balance Signals Success

The Bulldogs are one of only three teams in the country who are ranked in the top 10 in both Scoring Offense and Scoring Defense. The Bulldogs rank sixth in Scoring Defense at 15.6 ppg and sixth in Scoring Offense at 40.6 ppg. The other two teams are Michigan (10-0) and SMU (8-2).

One of the keys to Georgia’s success is its third down defense. The Bulldogs are ranked seventh nationally with opponents converting just 28 percent of the time. In SEC action, Georgia opponents are a combined 26-for-84 on third downs (28 percent). The Bulldogs lead the country in converting third downs (56 percent). Georgia has converted 47 of 86 third downs (55 percent) against league opponents.



EXCLUSIVE: Champion Retro P.E. Class Natty Sweatshirt

 

Check out This Exclusive Sweatshirt NOW!



 

 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.