Fortner named coach at GA Tech. What impact will it have on UGA?

2,717 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mmixon
mac25
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It may prevent a lot of the players from transferring
mmixon
It will prevent the majority of players from leaving and when she hires her staff, recruiting will pick up in the state of Georgia. She built the 99 National Championship Team at Purdue. She left the Team to coach the Olympic Team that won the Goal Medal. How many championships would she have won if she hadn't done that. She is in a better place with Tech than she was with Auburn when she took over. Auburn was at the bottom and in a state that wasn't one of the best for Ladies Basketball. Tech has some outstanding players and she is in Georgia which produces some of the best players in the nation and there are a lot of very good players out there. She probably will hire someone who is close to the girls AAU Circuit to recruit for her. That is what I would do. Great players make coaches great, just ask Kim Mulkey, Muffet McGraw and Geno Auriema.
ladyQdawg
Sure hate seeing her there since I've always liked her. She is quite a contrast in personality from the former coach
who seemed to be in an angry, yelling mode perpetually. Wish Nell had taken another job not in our backyard or on our annual schedule.
mac25
It's time for Joni to step up and I truly hope she does. She's got to overhaul her S&C, her coaching staff, and re-look at her recruiting. Boosters will start putting some pressure on her and Garrity even though it is not a focal point for many big time boosters; especially if Fortner does well. Fortner has gotten a lot of face time on television and many of the state kids will know her and will listen.
Tyree02
I really don't see her killing it recruiting like that. She had one AA at Auburn in Dewanna Bonner. Many individuals from recruiting circles that I chatted with are scratching their heads at that hire at Tech and at the one at Tennessee. There were many other candidates that could been much better than those two.
mmixon
I can understand Tech hiring Nell. They want to get there program back on the right track. Nell will do that and she will assure the players who are there that Tech is the right place for them. I personally like the hire, experience coach who knows how to win. She will win right off the start.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.