Lady Dawgs 53 Kentucky 58

3,530 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mmixon
mmixon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tough day, it looks like the only way to go to the NCAA Tournament is to win the SEC Tourney. It will be a long off season.
mac25
Maybe we need it to get some girls healthy, better conditioned, as well as being focused on RECRUITING.
bhdawg
One question, what ever happened to boxing out and rebounding with two hands. Fundamentals needed more IMO Go dawgs
mmixon
It's almost impossible to stay healthy the entire season. Every Team has someone hurt. Right now I think we are going to struggle until we can find better scoring forwards. We really missed Mackenzie Engrams scoring this season and I have seen the two posts Players we signed and I just don't see them being big for UGA next season. Might look at the Juco Forwards for help. This Team relies on the guards to do the majority of the scoring, but the worst part of that is the majority of the time they have to defend bigger Players which puts you at a disadvantage. I really think that recruiting has to change. Doesn't have to be McDonald's All American, but recruit more size at the guards and wing position. Right now I just see this Team staying in the middle of the pack.
imfrmzn4
I really don't think it has as much to do with size if the size can't score. Defense on the wings hasn't really been our problem, its inconsistent offense. Having size doesnt really correct that but hopefully experience does. I am impressed with the two bigs that were bringing in because they do things that other players on the roster dont do. Inexperience really killed us this year but if this our floor then I'm definitely optimistic about our ceiling
mmixon
Size does matter, Kentucky did what Missouri and quite a few other Teams have done to UGA. Every chance Kentucky got, they ran their offense which forced UGA to switch. All of a sudden the switch caused a guard on a bigger guard or forward. The results were layups or fouls. If you look at our Team from last year to this, the RPI is outrageous at 104. We haven't beat a good Team all year. The SEC isn't as strong this year as it has been in the past. I have also been noticing Tech has not only closed the gap but might finally pass UGA. They have the size and talent. They signed 2 McDonald's All Americans last season. I just believe they will win their first game in Athens next season. I just don't see any more potential out of this Team. More sooner than later changes will have to be made.
dawg212003
I will say this. In the off season Joni needs to valuate her coaching staff. I honestly think a change needs to be made.
dawg212003
You look at some of the top teams and their guards aren't bigger than ours. UConn has one guard over 5'11, Baylor has one guard listed at 6'1, and Louisville has no guards listed over 6'0.
mmixon
I need to explain what I am trying to say. I know that we are probably not going to get 6 ft guards, but we need to look at the successful Teams we have had. 2013 we had Jasmine James 5 ft 9 in, Khalidah Miller 5 ft 9 in and Shacobia Barbee 5 ft 10 in. Throw in the fact that they had big strong bodies meant you couldn't push them around. Best Team we have had this decade. Also on that Team Jasmine Hassell was a beast in the paint. And I think about the last final four team in 1999, Kelly and Coco Miller were 5 ft 10 in and Tweety Nolan was listed as 6 ft, but I thought she was closer to 5 ft 10 in as well. The biggest difference between now and then was defense. We almost have to score 80 or more for this Team to win. Arkansas did what most of the Teams did, they used screen's and they had Dungee attacking. We had no answer all night. I would have had more of a box and one situation. Slow the game down were it would have been more of a 60s type game. We have been more of a team who matches up with the other Team. Dungee is 5 ft 11 in and we started Maya Caldwell who is the same height. I like to make Teams attempt to match what I am doing. I don't understand why we didn't play more zone with Staiti.
dawg212003
I get what you are saying. I will say this. There needs to be a better strength and conditioning regime. This team was not in great shape.
mmixon
I agree with you 100% badboyoncampus01. Staiti and Hubbard needs to lose some weight and Staiti definitely needs to get stronger.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.